FTFC'18 WWII Curtiss-Wright XP-55 Ascender

HilldaFlyer

Slight redesign (longer) and assembly of the Supercharger Scoop.

The tail fin is made from two parts, the fin itself and the supercharger scoop.

SzPT1PZYdHHQXE178lYa9aYTpcK3I-x4pm7DKM1NL8jWI30N9v6uHTf-aa3a9rZfllOWqdMg_XeE4kPSziUXSxC9_UQhnQwzts9Hy1TxUySTa5uiGrUbLWmdXPCScCACRwP6oQKR

The tail fin is made by gluing two pieces of foam together. The trailing edge is beveled to 5 cm from the edge to the center, the top rounded by sanding. The exposed foam was resurfaced with DuraClear (Polycrylic) and overlaid with packing paper.

The supercharger scoop is a little more complicated because it is sanded to almost half the thickness, beveled 3 cm from rear edge and 1 cm from the leading edge and sides. the front of the scoop is sanded so it makes a nice round curve when folded over.

2b2gfNTjAiuFv7hh4pQp8A4m9LmbfE7Pum4MpSLCd91u4gr6yDPVDjDKpZ4dZJl1Q6uL7iTXGQDa0_6Cx5nQMptpwxq1KeNjZt2sMKUECyCRngeibB4qCO0pl_XvAkhYaAsAZEQX

The supercharger scoop is glued to the tail fin by matching the notch in the foam to the tail and folding it over. I used Gorilla glue to attach the two pieces together and I put weight on it to hold it in place while curing. The longer length give a more gradual taper to the tail.

Next steps: Mount the wings onto the fuselage. Design the lower tail fin and radiator scoop.

HilldaFlyer

[h=1]Lower Air Scoop[/h]Outline shape
Crease along fold lines.
Bend along fold lines.
Cut out except vertical stabilizer tab holes.
Glue front scoop and hold together with tape.
Glue the crease and hold at proper angle with the wing trailing edge piece.
Cut out vertical stabilizer tab holes

S-3oxeDfyzDDouBPOD6Fo54ciy8wZE3tsfrqa2gfL112QMLIq2ojsiBw31jO-MMSphYfqnGUc_TvJNbgdasj8dqM9I2kPhsno2uHXx4N4gqyeQ3WumEyPzdbilvVbcl3-vomeuxd

Version 2 of the lower air scoop.

HBT2MOf7vvMwmjmgDP3LT3HcmzEBXy6gReUIekOU5AazUCtUZ9csZLFJzv05nRkYbxuHZXKNM2bJ-fSKCmfaKT_rNuPT6xFfkfD4122Q06AOkrEydkTrH1mLMaaZLAK0RmZepNYg

Here is the scoop fitting into place…

Wt-sSOi_FcCLdtjyIbRWufE6T7a-s2TF9Wy36mtWQmML5SJcjRDQltyJc8KrAbeVn_lUoMi9A-5JcMuFCMYQxqljEy7SsqO2RE54BYMl5SiwOLYRAt3wlI7KrsWac-oh6tSlr4XO

I had planned on making this a hand launch belly lander, but this functional motor cooling air scoop may not last. Still thinking about landing gear.

HilldaFlyer

Last night I fitted all the loose pieces I had, and without gluing, took some photos of the plane. I think I'm almost done with the design and ready for the final build. Here are the photos.

4kOsQZAKeANL-9CarYrQIKNl8x94vJPJg6oU1vpIVgCih3L8JXza1GvjNDkNdKZHHsJjpjQvcDAXZ3xcwljzO-GW_HNc7j1sfB4gGcEPfrbdi3lT-fXKJOzFAMY7mSjWj0aoMWtA

Top view, Nose piece needs to be glued... keeps flexing out of place.

jB1p9r3OzDAPiVxDbB3a2yY96ylJ4_kCZPN9nkZ9H4ctDN4rbmUcc3QI8l0d_tad1XXEjcQ8TMjE665kXCJfEepA3UGMeJs76pW8PnTTU2jek5UH6fo9SzOCVGqrqyRp5sK1vR1w

Lower air scoop and wing joint.

k3KloYNztHtXievT6hEeKgGhJKuOWR-Wze3LCYTvKgfhS01BVGMkLBOwscRAFWpnK_1PD4Rf_69basFyhgJZoywv7cNWHF65_3kgV3eDbU6L_NFaw7D6FKlqQJ7COO0WE8VoeFJb

Rear side view,

Keep in mind that all these pieces are just sitting in place without glue. The wing, however, is attached with screws.

Sweet!

HilldaFlyer

Time for another update

Moved on from the prototype and started to build another set of wings - the real ones.

3tmxmHCSrNCYUtROoj_noYr4fEx3CNnIZr5C9mIVE7-rQxGasIafSNh1Ohedk2WvtVex0qsKt26gaEN3N9RVtZMrQ7VkvI_8rgcv9OKpofifNAfNjsQ2C8rmmihvH3wZXF2gXXOy

Changed the wing plans a bit by adding a split top at the tip, this way the tip has a folded over leading edge like the main wing. The split is glued and the vertical stabilizer covers the glue seam.

8EY-8MNXXP5kgkm5vcFDgsWIi54-A7Q0wrFL2AvOpP1MmWp-_O1Edc8eHoiy0JLsihuOj3Lt1wW7NPsLt63ikw4-AeZExm03TQWYkuCHfoUK3V7aX7xd_waa86bBmUPCGXk0dGXX

The leading edge bevel was made by peeling the paper to 1 cm from the leading edge. I used a hot wire cutter between the paper fold and the cut. Made a perfect bevel. I made a movie of the process because a video is worth 500,000 words.

The computer with my video editing software decided it was time to come down with a cold during a Windows update. After the update it boots to a screen that looks like windows wants me to restore… but that will be tough because my restore disk didn’t work. Oh, well, Just letting you know that the video will go here when I get it done. I thought the process was really slick - no knife, no sanding, like as smooth as hot wire through foam. Everyone will start doing it this way.

Glued it with Gorilla glue. Didn’t take any pictures, but the main wing was glued first and then the tip was glued, it being held with tape.

ZjxzKhEsW6fEiD2AEzkmnU488MOIpqR_D07WlxwJG_Yni3_C1OGlIhe6D5Otp_Qikv8G1vSzTrjqT1e6Ukk5ZSxcEwYe5XAzAIvH39KTPerhiRBHFDCxPL7uK0A0JbF7aIBjaPUp

Sanded the root flat.

8pEuOwih7ZgfLrwpeNxE1q14ZOvxPAfH_Y8sa8GkB_rzmmZrflUpAqNxqVJXIRmalguC_9alOZMgp5SLBNKENpPr7SrYMEwoUUFqMGF3NzuTJhVaZioddS_G6EB_h_JsgfvmMwvV

Cut a hole for the servo.

MkcKBan7IyjHczLH5FYJB7REzPMZSL41OO8u9V7UmtzjKgJ7w6MQoY8Ec8RtwyqaY3ANpiL-lUxQ3fT7OtnQ711tjfo3T2Em-tmDhOhcL0L0NUv191Ew5RfMa6J20WxOnczkJrsp

Installed the servo.

H1TW6uCG6Q1-Slu2NUAxvQvTpPuoLspgUwos1o7nD_5RArM7S3CDT_GIEgK8kJiVM-LCJ5XLJ9OTgOe2WXGTxPoUVGrbzlkipeN4eUhPEsxh4-4l8bvfqP7g8PkspLC2d5ivd2_Q

Glued pieces of plywood to the wing to give the mounting screws some surface area.

PIjPPv0lxKv77DMZWxgfOgmabYPOf3Rn-O2WSLPKhfFJ7jEDijafNn2VNqcjiMRl578a-8GVNgPHxQ0eGaoFrzxFRfS0yckW5CtQnMvQq1cOff-7Kz8-HB0OxY2wicn9x45ItXJT

Here is a peek into the root where the plywood was fastened.

mb2XNmevj-8c-2hzx6gcdTNG1N0akt6cvQTZtU2oNROAWAMpjxH2D-bXAO7G3vyxTLPghtWV9m3tb8AH1vlggaaY06_nJAQxRekKLqZshhX8WIA1iX9JDbwfLrq6xfZ42HH_yO3v

Cut out the aileron.

17J8IIYHrZ5mH_ARdBTQ2YsVWS1qE5kVUyC_fuS1co5ybU_5Agz8R1YnXGtQveUfqrJwnKZ8Q__3bWF3Blj8VMyU87WLlXYjH_MX1_JewNDEhjJbuc8YLMx_wDSobXSJxIhum8_7

Made the aileron bevel by removing paper to 5 mm from the front edge and then used a hot wire cutter to remove the foam between the paper and the panel joint. Another video of this?

54fspB4DVglHqH-u_L649hmyo_svC9R-9o3bxCelHmZH_6BzWf8jfuGcrvUREhdOXrUlns70R8tPgtiHhjKibQK7JVRIVNyvv17-Yb0_qA52aRvGHGsCNH2Si7j0W_dKeVJeiHPz

Cut slots in between the foam and glued in the plastic pin hinges.

GutIjrkXUMeYTk93kOhfBDh4ljyORZYvB5R34l5lWwJpMenWSTyg9sAFV7Z6rDWxSj-OdBpS9bWtMogowHMeGDHMRS1zVkjfapFyh8ljZs8628D-DCbqu6Glr0_C5ZxPh7Xl9u_u

Taped the bottom of the wing panels together. Folded the wing open along the tape, Applied Gorilla glue to all mating surfaces.

O3mEPNT5KiJvCANJDvEZnvySQYJIc_1_Q-xxCqB5XuwlQLNxNJMY7Mb_90YfBgwQkKOBs4Zh3aYtj4aedDPWQ-qyEYrCfeGmD7dQ_ncg7TGiET4-PQzIcc0lCIADiHo-LxM4Wszr

Taped the top to hold the panels together.

_3YQTk7XRS-fQF3uQftwSnOeK1M_0Idwj7fQjYHWsQOvOHJpapVNyVIJa_qVTpxyAHvu0eoLWTwm7lgWAz0DYRELW7abU-vdsiSFAXZRLtSo0ymQiZla2qLiPsdJeMWTja2dM0Rb

Glued the ailerons into the wing.

ehULOw7Slh2qiJMpAU6pOLyPxwAIZBAg20VhVQVC5QlZNkrb5rpytPArU2zS5AETbVedPHoIMdS5WrujM0Xp67PUV7AIgdJIH1IvCVl8IEOb_etbG9jeskE_8x8G1eOSzFeyhS3p

Here is the completed wing. Turned out to be a lot wider than I anticipated.

Last edited:

HilldaFlyer

Yeah, and if my home computer didn't blow out the hard drive, I would have probably have the prototype ready for maiden... but aiming for next Saturday if the weather holds.

HilldaFlyer

Help! Help! Help !!!

If you listen to FreeFall RC podcast... you'll get it.
However, this is a plea for help.

Placing the battery to balance the CG will be a challenge, to say the least.
I’ve got enough of the airframe together to do a preliminary balance act.

First - I’m really excited about how it turned out. Looks really cool.
btDqScZ2Bp_6f1lhZcUaZN3XM_2YpTczFPJxnGkYczPqUs2gZDogTRqL_HDSZqLEliQyBU9HgQxSES9eVHEjFUj26gEvUuZ8NNphWetO_LixlB8bzrh2JXyLu0FvtUOZG4QFCV-1

I used the wing CG calculator to determine the location of the CG.

BfBFp462tFuaBf-hmPqid3SsWOFi6lP5onWpe0BIEiqSdDY7topBBkxJIMBd4s7lR7dY8qD0Rqm-_ednsXgaN3oyP1cZiCWL2X01ZuNWCZaJh8Z7-jXoaPyFSCfGW1hI57IMDS-M

According to the calculator, the CG is located right at the trailing edge of the wing where the roots meet. I’ve laid a skewer at the location. This line is about 1.5 cm in front of the servos.

Here is the problem.
To get it to balance, the battery needs to be placed as far back as the plane will allow.

3TZo-aEuGlW8-kzO01hUIkifS1vt5BeKGSuQ1njZNuT9eMZ9_nTv1CODX-9sfZYJaKLgUocq9_jwsSkz6PaWUjFYaOLLNG32ffQRrZc-HWAIXoWgAsknFlpPuLk5-kL8psZJ8GbY

Here is where the battery needs to be placed. Hmmm, there isn’t that much space since the motor is back there. The furthest back the battery can be placed is about 3 cm more forward than pictured above.

Here is where I could use some help.
I have disregarded any lift from the canard arguing that elevators are ignored as lift surfaces. Am I all wet? Can I make this aircraft a bit more nose heavy than calculated based on a flying wing?

I have quickly scoured the internet for information on the CG for this or a Shinden? That information will certainly help - so if you know where I can get it, please let me know. .

Cheers everyone!

Looks like the scheduled maiden for tomorrow will be postponed until I get this figured out.
If it turns out the CG is not actually more forward than I calculated, I'll be moving the wings forward, which will completely kill the scale.
Sacrifices must be made!

jpot1

Elite member
After seeing the article on the varieze recently I found some aerofred plans I was looking at. That model seems quite similar to yours and places the CG in front of the rear wing. Take a look. https://aerofred.com/details.php?image_id=91724

Edit: well in looking again maybe not in front but much further forward as compared to yours.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
It looks awesome!

When I did the CG calculations for the FW-42 I just maidened, I did it first with a 5% static margin, and then again with a 15% margin and drew the resulting 3/4" range on the plane. Here are the calcs I used;

CG Calc 05.PNG
CG Calc 15.PNG

After glide testing the best spot was in that range at about 2/3 of the way towards the nose - so maybe a 7% margin. On the maiden flight that turned out to be perfect for very stable performance - I'll probably want to shift the CG back a 1/2" for more aerobatic flight and will test that out this weekend.

The only other thing I can say about the CG is make sure to do glide testing before powered testing. If it doesn't have a smooth trajectory when it's tossed into high grass, adding power won't make things more stable. :black_eyed:

HilldaFlyer

Thanks for you thoughts.
Looking back through the thread, I noticed that I omitted a post on CG calculations. I used the Flying wing:

I was unaware of calculators for different style aircraft... so I'm digging into that.

Here is what I wrote in my build log:

NpX_Vq4Abzus8AkaC5wr_21q55JhM8Rpz64ZYOUojcxmJdk_8iEYVPYm70L3HQk_LMk4lfsxco326lyElzYSPnk_hO6CP-idGA2XIK0lGWdnrol3GIgz74tWn-XgiNNAxBoVslrw

The CG calculator puts the CG right at the convergence of the trailing edges. At first thought, this plane is going to be hard to balance since it has such a long fuselage in front of the CG.
-----
And I was right.

HilldaFlyer

This calculator moves CG 9.5 cm forward.

3hEb1MVzGxoRc5pB84q8y117U9eHVY4DpVbxMcSwKoO-XQb6keQHN5OwVKktVJ02pi_gYmWAfK45ocKZTuofGCAFekzD0-SeYu1Vdh4Ou8iCSucOuGaCxadkv_QRoJlfSw_sycVa

Certainly a lot easier to balance there. I'm a bit skeptical, but I don't have anything better to gamble on. My simple calculation was for a wing only. So - I trust more in the calculator that takes the canard and wing tips into consideration.

But now... for the real test.
But first, Now I have to relocate the battery to the spot where the receiver was placed. Reconfig

Last edited:

HilldaFlyer

Maiden - Success !!!

Video - Coming Soon

I'll just say that the CG was different than either calculator. The calculator that took the canard into consideration was closest. To get a good flight I ended up moving the battery rearward about 4 cm.