FTFC'18 WWII Miles M.22

Airkooled

After lurking for a while around here I figured it was time for me to hop on the band wagon and join one of these awesome challages I keep reading about!

I have a few things I've been dying to accomplish using some of the FT techniques and I think this build can do all of those!
The criteria for my decision was: fast, scale, and a twin. This led me to a really neat design the Miles M.22

IMG_1098.JPG

After a little digging I found some proposed dimensions here : https://books.google.com/books?id=-...age&q=miles m.22 aircraft information&f=false and I believe that going with 1/10th scale should make it a perfect size!

I plan to start the designing phase tonight and will post pictures as soon as I have some progress!

Airkooled

Thanks! I will hopefully get the nacelles designed today. I know I'll need help from fellow members so please any input is awesome!

Airkooled

It should be a fast machine! I'm thinking with a 39" span I may be able to squeeze some "C" size power packs in!

MrFowl

Subscribed!

This is one mean looking plane. I would really like to build this! I'm down to beta test if you need someone!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
That's awesome @MrFowl and @foamtest! @airkooled, I think you might have just inspired a team here :applause: If ya'll do want to officially band together just let me know and I'll make the update to the challenge page.

I must say as someone designing my second plane now, the most rewarding feeling and the most helpful thing is to have someone else build from your design and provide helpful feedback.

It just warms my black little heart to see new community members jumping in to encourage and help each other out like this.

Now if I can just get someone to stop cutting onions around here.... :p

Airkooled

Thank you for all the interest! I'm flattered, and I would love to have some beta testers! A team would be awesome if the others don't have a problem!

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I would definitely want to help with this build but I also want to build and help with others as well. I'm guessing that I'm allowed to help beta test more than one plane but I want to make sure its not against any rules first.

Airkooled

Not a problem at all! I would still love for you to beta test! We're all in this together, no need to make a team of it! Im planning to get the files for the nacelles up tonight! If anything a picture to keep the interest going. Here's some pictures of my day job to tide you over! IMG_0716.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I would definitely want to help with this build but I also want to build and help with others as well. I'm guessing that I'm allowed to help beta test more than one plane but I want to make sure its not against any rules first.

No restrictions on teaming up - join as many teams as will have you and make as many entries into the contest as you'd like (it would be fun to try to catch up with FoamyDM - I think he's up to 3 entries so far :) )

Airkooled

He's one busy man! I'm no expert at sketchup so I'm fumbling through the design process! Hopefully I'll have something out tomorrow, sorry for the delay! I usually draw on paper for my own models but since the rules said to have useable plans for the entry I figured I should give sketchup a whack.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wow how lucky are you!! Not only do you play with foam airplanes in your hobby time you get to play with real ones in your work time!! Now that's a man with focus and arrow straight priorities!!

On a side note... Them radial motors are things of beauty.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I think I may have to beta test the flying sub, well maybe not the submersible one, but the normal one.

MrFowl

On a side note... Them radial motors are things of beauty.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Those are some beauties.

@foamtest and @airkooled (and fyi @rockyboy), I'd be down to team up. I'm pretty busy and have been neglecting my own plane :rolleyes: ...mostly because I need to figure out a way to make the plans first. I have AutoCAD and CATIA, but not sure how well those work for this. I can build/fly/crash in pretty quick cycles though! :p

Airkooled

Thanks for the kind words fellas! I restore mostly ww2 and later recip aircraft for a living and it's not much different than modeling haha.

@mrfowl I'm busy too and fully understand! Maybe when I get some things made up that's worth releasing you can perfect them in cad or I'll send plans and you can beta and make changes as you see fit! I too can crash them faster than building them!