FTFC19 - April Showers by Damo RC - Macchi M.C. 72

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
The Macchi M.C. 72 was designed by Mario Castoldi specifically to win the Schneider Trophy. Unfortunately, it never did so, suffering engine problems at the 1931 event, which was the last year the Schneider Trophy was run. It did go on to take the record for the world's fastest propeller-driven seaplane in 1934, a record which still stands.

IW_macchi_castoldi_mc-72_12.jpg

I started a model of this in Sketchup a long time ago, but can't seem to find it now, so I'll just start again.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I have drooled over this beautiful plane for years now - really excited to see this come to life in foam board! :D

Vimana89

Legendary member
Does that have a Contra-rotating prop?!!
I "just might" have one of these on the way... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...102.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4du5x0a9
It "was" destined to go into a XFY Pogo.... :unsure:

Can't wait to see what you do with it!
I remember that idea. At the time, you proposed I do the design, but honestly, I had no idea where to start and nowhere near the skill at the time to even come up with something close to decent. I'm far from a great builder still, but If you are still interested, I know enough to where I could draw you up a three view in simple FT style construction with some specs and dimensions, if you are still interested and would be kind enough to refresh my memory on what power pack you are using.

kilroy07

Legendary member
if you are still interested and would be kind enough to refresh my memory on what power pack you are using.
The link to the power plant is there in my earlier post. It’s on the Ssllooow boat from China, so I don’t even have it in hand yet (it will most likely arrive as I’m out of town on business for the next month or so.....) 🙄
I’ll get to it, it will just be after the Sr-71, swordfish, Polaris, an edge, a-10, @Namactual ’s F-15, B-36 and whatever else distracting comes along! (I’m looking at you cosair) 😂😭

@DamoRC what motor are you planning for? I “might” get that 2212 contra if that’s more “in-line” with your plans (see what I did there) 😎

Watched a film reel of this thing in action. My two take aways, they ran her wide open (no exhaust) I can’t imagine how loud she was! And no fancy gearing here to get two props, we’ll just slap on a second engine! Lol

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
The link to the power plant is there in my earlier post. It’s on the Ssllooow boat from China, so I don’t even have it in hand yet (it will most likely arrive as I’m out of town on business for the next month or so.....) 🙄
I’ll get to it, it will just be after the Sr-71, swordfish, Polaris, an edge, a-10, @Namactual ’s F-15, B-36 and whatever else distracting comes along! (I’m looking at you cosair) 😂😭

@DamoRC what motor are you planning for? I “might” get that 2212 contra if that’s more “in-line” with your plans (see what I did there) 😎

Nice!

Sorry for not responding sooner - spent the last three days doing my impersonation of someone who didn't get a flu shot.

Planning on c-pack size-ish, with the option to put the Power 15 in there - basically the same setup / size as the Gee Bee R3.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
That is a very sleek looking design. I can't wait to see it.

Thanks! 3D modelling in Sketchup is now done. A little rough but I think I have most of what I need and will start unfolding the parts for an initial set of plans. Currently scaled the same as the Gee Bee R3 at 30 inch wingspan. From some angles the floats look a little oversized but they pretty much match the three view I am using.

MC72 Pan.gif

kilroy07

Legendary member
Quite a bit of vibration, but then noticed the mounts lower screws were loose (NOW the question is whether they were loosened by the vibration, or by being loose caused the vibration.)...

Any way too cool not to share!

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
How's it coming @DamoRC?

No further progress 😟 I think I got a little burnt out designing and building and needed to step away for a while. So this one will not be done for the competition. I'll leave it on the radar and maybe get to it over the summer.

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
No further progress 😟 I think I got a little burnt out designing and building and needed to step away for a while. So this one will not be done for the competition. I'll leave it on the radar and maybe get to it over the summer.
I have a few of these :)