Getting started with Swappables, having trouble with part selection...

Dimak

I'm starting the Swappable journey, and I plan to build an FT Delta to begin with. Here's my parts list so far, ordering from Hobbyking's international warehouse:

OrangeRx T-SIX 2.4GHz DSM2 Compatible 6CH Transmitter Mode 2

OrangeRx R615X DSM2/DSMX Compatible 6Ch 2.4GHz Receiver w/CPPM

Turnigy 500mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack (3x)

8X4 GWS-Style Propellors (http://goo.gl/LoE8jr, seems like a decent deal, and I know some are counter-rotating, but that's fine!)

HXT900 9g / 1.6kg / .12sec Micro Servo (5x, for use on other projects as well as future planes)

TURNIGY Plush 18amp Speed Controller

hexTronik 24gram Brushless Outrunner 1300kv

Linkage Stopper D2.1mm (10sets)

I have a Dollar Tree nearby, as well as a few local RC shops.

I haven't seen much in the way of charger recommendations for this type of thing, though. I'd like to get a dual (or more) charger so I can not have too much delay between flying times, but I can't figure out what I should get.

Also, is it worth trying to switch to Altitude Hobbies, etc. for better shipping and service? What kind of price break should I expect if I do that?

TL;DR: Is this a decent order for a swappable start? And what would a decent charger be?

mikemacwillie

Everything there looks like a decent start, and everything will work together. That motor is the perfect one to get started with.

Here's an even better deal on props, and they're standard rotation:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11320__8x4_Propellers_5Pcs_Bag_.html

I'd also recommend getting some extra O-rings for the prop saver. They're very easy to lose. The Turnigy Accucel-6 is a good charger at a great price. You'll need a 12V power supply as well to power it.

Dimak

Can I use a PSU from a PC for that? I have a spare one, I think it's 350 watts or so.

Also, if I want to charge multiple batteries at the same time, what's the best way to go about that? I keep seeing "Parallel adapters", and things like that.

Added some O-rings, and switched propellers! I'm not a huge fan of the HK search engine.

Thanks!

mikemacwillie

Yep, you can do that. You'll need to add a bit of load on the 5V line to get it to regulate reliably, but other than that it's a workable solution.

There are several options for parallel charging, from splitter cables to PCBs with the connectors on them. All of them pretty much work the same. One thing you need to be very careful of if parallel charging is making sure you only connect them in parallel when they are at the same state of charge. Connecting a fully charged pack to a dead one will cause a large amount of current to flow between them, resulting in damage to both packs, and your parallel adapter.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I would get the Orange RX 615 receiver not the 615X, your transmitter is only DSM2 so you won't use the DSMX and are paying extra for it. I would also go for a 1000 mah battery go give you a better shot at balancing out your swappables. The PLUSH 12 amp ESC is more than enough for the hexTronik 24 gram motor you have spec'd. The 18 amp is just adding weight and cost, and isn't big enough to use with the 'Beef' motor when you move up.

Dimak

The 615 receiver is currently on backorder... how long should I expect to wait for it? I don't mind paying 5 bucks extra to speed things up a bit.

Switched down to the smaller ESC, I was just going off of the Power Pod article.

As far as batteries go, is this right?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9163__Turnigy_1000mAh_3S_20C_Lipo_Pack.html

25C, 3S, 1000mAh? the 20C was on backorder as well... And is three a good number to get?

Thank you guys so much, this is sorting me out beautifully!

mikemacwillie

Pretty sure the 615 is discontinued. It's been on backorder since the 615x came out. I'd personally go for the 25C over the 20C. Three is a good number to get you started.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Yep, didn't know that about the 615. Kinda sucks that they discontinue a receiver that is paired to the transmitter. If you're flying a ORX T-Six, the DSMX receiver just makes it more expensive, you get nothing more out of it than the DSM2 version. But, I wouldn't wait for anything on backorder from HK, as it's pretty hit-or-miss. You might wait yourself right out of a season of flying. Three batteries is what I would get at a minimum. If you can afford a couple more, I'd get them. They don't last forever and having more with you at the field is never a bad thing. I always feel like I never have enough of them.

Dimak

OK, I'm ready to go ahead and get everything but I thought I'd go ahead and post the list one more time before that happens...

9403000064-0 - OrangeRx T-SIX 2.4GHz DSM2 Compatible 6C.. $64.99

9171000300-0 - OrangeRx R615X DSM2/DSMX Compatible 6Ch .. $10.45

HXT900 - HXT900 9g / 1.6kg / .12sec Micro Servo $13.25

HXM2730-1300 - hexTronik 24gram Brushless Outrunner 130.. $10.45

016-00503x10 - Linkage Stopper D2.1mm (10sets) $1.19

H8011A - 8x4 Propellers (5Pcs/Bag) $2.28

244000073-0 - Multi Purpose O-Rings / Prop Saver Bands.. $1.00

ACC6 - Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A Balancer/Charge.. $22.99

TR_P12A-E - TURNIGY Plush 12amp (2A BEC) BESC $10.10

T1000.3S.25 - Turnigy 1000mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack $18.57

Does everything here look proper, etc.?

Thanks for all the help again, guys. I'll post a build log and flight video when all is said and done!

Last edited:

Dimak

OK, apparently shipping comes to a bit more than $70 for FedEx priority.

Would it be worth buying some things from a domestic carrier? I imagine that the prices even out pretty well.

jamboree1

OK, apparently shipping comes to a bit more than $70 for FedEx priority.

Would it be worth buying some things from a domestic carrier? I imagine that the prices even out pretty well.

Therin lies 1 of many problems with HobbyKing, the shipping charges are twice that of anyone else, no customer service, orders get split, very bad about items currently in stock, but aren't. The list goes on and on

Bricks

Master member
Why not get the entire setup from Altitude Hobby every thing Beast motor servos extensions ESC 2 extra servos 2 props and shipping for the Simple Storch was $70

Dimak

When I checked yesterday, they were out of stock! Looks like they're back in, but with a slightly different prop...

I'll probably buy the lot of those things from them, to save on shipping if nothing else.

mikemacwillie

See if you can get everything from the US hobbyking warehouse. The piece price is a little higher, but shipping will probably be less than half. The batteries are what force you to use FedEx from China.

Dimak

I can get pretty much everything except the OrangeRX transmitter and batteries...

Any good alternatives/US distrubutors?

Edit: looking at Horizon Hobby. They seem decent, and carry the Dx5e for the same price as the Orange! Would that work as well?

Last edited:

Ace2317

I use Spektrum for all of my planes. I have a Dx7, which is great because I can store all of my planes in my transmitter instead of having to rebind for every different plane (which can be a headache and you lose your trims). You might wanna look into a DX6, which also allows storing planes. It costs more, but if you know you are going to have multiple planes, then it might be worth considering.

Overall, whatever transmitter you get, Spektrum is solid and Horizon has great customer service.

jamboree1

Don't forget Lazer toys, Hobby Partz or Value Hobby. As far as a radio goes, I too started with a DX5 and outgrew it so fast it was almost not worth the $60. I highly recommend the Spektrum line of radios just for the fact that their customer service is second to none. As for a reciever I like LemonRx, these cost about $10 for a 6 channel unit. There is a lot of rc parts online if you look around, most are same price or maybe just a little more cost than hobby king, the other stores win out with shipping and customer service. Also note that HK charges an additional 1.75% to your order if you don't use paypal.

Dimak

OK, I've done the pricing out for a few places.

Altitude Hobbies + Hobbyking for radio + batteries = $227.88

LazerToyz + Hobbyking = $235

ValueHobby = $177.69!

OK, here's another parts list coming through, this time from Value Hobby:

Flysky TH9X 9-CH 2.4GHz Transmitter and Receiver (TX+RX Set)

GForce E400 Brushless Outrunner Motor (2212-1000KV)

Hobbywing FlyFun 18A Brushless ESC

8 X 4 Direct Drive Prop (2-pcs)

Towerpro SG90 Analog Plastic Gear Micro Servo

GForce 30C 1000mAh 3S 11.1V LiPO (JST Connector)

GT POWER XCHARGER C6

O-Ring for Prop Savers (10 pcs)

3.17mm Prop Saver

3.5mm Bullet Connectors (5 Sets)

Metric 2.1mm Pushrod EZ-Connector (10 Sets)

Is that everything I need? And will that radio suit me decently? It is a good deal more than the Orange.

crash bandicoot

That should be, and I use alot of Value Hobby stuff, and it's all pretty good. You are going to need some JST connectors for your ESC as well though.