GPS Module G-limit?

BayDesigns

I was browsing GPS modules and I noticed that some of them have posted G limits (the one I remember was limited to 4). Why is this? What happens if the limit is exceeded? Does that break the component, does it just stop functioning for the duration of the over-g event? I thought it was really strange that something like that would be g limited. Thanks.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I was browsing GPS modules and I noticed that some of them have posted G limits (the one I remember was limited to 4). Why is this? What happens if the limit is exceeded? Does that break the component, does it just stop functioning for the duration of the over-g event? I thought it was really strange that something like that would be g limited. Thanks.

to prevent people from using cheep GPS modules for weapon guidance, they put various limitations in them. Could also be a processing limitation were it makes some assumptions about where it could be on its next 'sample' and a G rating higher then that could cause problems with said calculations.

not sure if they stop working for the high g maneuver or if they just shut off until power cycled.