HELP I'm new to rc planes

quackeroats64

In the past few months i have built several chuck gliders out of foamboard and a FT Simple cub recently I have built some planes of my own designs one of them I plan to motorize, the airframe weighs 205 grams and I want it to be a calm flyer that will fly level with a low climb rate and i have no idea what motor or prop to use please help!

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
many of the the FT mini planes come in in the 200-400g AUW range and work on the A-pack or F-pack (F-pack only for some of the bigger ones).

When you said airframe, do you mean before all the electronics? an A-pack sized electronics kit + battery will run you in the 100-150g range (for likely battery choices), putting you in the 300-350g AWU range. My FT Tiny Trainers are around 275g AUW with a 650mAh 3S lipo on an A pack, on a 2s they are a fairly calm/slow flyer, the 3s has some power left over. (this is all with a 6x3 prop)

how 'calm' your plane will be will depend on the size of your wing and how 'stable' your craft is in its design. For that Weight range, you should use the Tiny Trainer as a reference for something that is of the 'calm' proportions.

quackeroats64

Currently the air frame has no electronics and i want the plane to fly like a trainer just low and slow also after a few glide tests I am sure that it is going to be stable in the air! just to make sure are you saying to use the power pack A?

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Currently the air frame has no electronics and i want the plane to fly like a trainer just low and slow also after a few glide tests I am sure that it is going to be stable in the air! just to make sure are you saying to use the power pack A?
depends... if you post a pic we could say... judging from wing area ... etc

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
same as what @Matthewdupreez said, we need more details to truly give an answer. I gave you some examples that were in similar weight ranges and what they used and pointed you to a design that would likely do what your asking, but without your craft's details, it would be hard to know for sure that is the correct power system (or if you would even get your desired flight characteristics with any power system).

quackeroats64

currently the only power pack i have is the power pack B and im still working on the control surfaces im going to expand the wing area and maiden it with the power pack b see what works if it is too strong then I might order a new motor