Help with drones/quads for Spektrum radio

zahn_1

So I have been flying a foamboard airplanes for awhile and I love it, however I have always been way more confident flying drones, but mostly the cheap ones from Walmart or Shopko. I have a Spektrum DX6E transmitter, and I would like to preferably buy a RTF drone that i can get out and have fun with right away to start with, however i cannot seem to find anything that is compatible with my transmitter, mainly because I'm not entirely sure what to look for other then "DSMX". Can anyone give some guidance as to what i should look for or possibly a recommendation for a good quad to start with? Thanks in advance

CappyAmeric

Elite member
So I have been flying a foamboard airplanes for awhile and I love it, however I have always been way more confident flying drones, but mostly the cheap ones from Walmart or Shopko. I have a Spektrum DX6E transmitter, and I would like to preferably buy a RTF drone that i can get out and have fun with right away to start with, however i cannot seem to find anything that is compatible with my transmitter, mainly because I'm not entirely sure what to look for other then "DSMX". Can anyone give some guidance as to what i should look for or possibly a recommendation for a good quad to start with? Thanks in advance
What kind of goggles? I assume analog. There are a lot of Bind-N-Fly quads out there that give you a selection of receiver. Check out RaceDayQuads. Here is an example of a cheap analog: https://www.racedayquads.com/collec...s-whoop-choose-your-rx?variant=29631083446385

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I just picked up the mobula 6 whoop to learn with and it has a DSMX version

https://www.racedayquads.com/produc...micro-whoop-quadcopter-race-or-standard?aff=2

Beyond that example, you could look for a receiver ready craft and connect a spectrum serial receiver or build your own. If your really wanting to get into freestyle flying, your going to want to learn to build your own because your going to be fixing it from crashes.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
......... I'm not entirely sure what to look for other then "DSMX". ......
A bind and fly (bnf) quad compatible with DSMX is what you want to look for.
Nice tractor, sounds like your looking for a quad to go with your quadra track.

zahn_1

What kind of goggles? I assume analog. There are a lot of Bind-N-Fly quads out there that give you a selection of receiver. Check out RaceDayQuads. Here is an example of a cheap analog: https://www.racedayquads.com/collec...s-whoop-choose-your-rx?variant=29631083446385
It will be analog, but instead of goggles i opted for a display/dvr (also Spektrum) mainly because when i use my plane, its personally easier to land using the camera but fly looking up lol. Definitely plan on goggles in the future though. Thanks for the link, will do some searching on there!

zahn_1

I just picked up the mobula 6 whoop to learn with and it has a DSMX version

https://www.racedayquads.com/produc...micro-whoop-quadcopter-race-or-standard?aff=2

Beyond that example, you could look for a receiver ready craft and connect a spectrum serial receiver or build your own. If your really wanting to get into freestyle flying, your going to want to learn to build your own because your going to be fixing it from crashes.
Yea the Mobula was one of the ones I was looking at to begin with and seems like a good candidate. For the receiver ready ones, would that be what people call a PNP drone? There is one that I was looking at earlier that was a PNP that I really liked that sounds like it would be good for the level I'm at, but I wasn't quite sure if there was a specific DSMX receiver I would need or not.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
BNF [Bind and Fly] has the receiver in it.
PNP [Plug and Play] you install your own receiver.

The mobula6 has a DSMX receiver version and it works with my DX8e.. I did however have to flash it to the newest development version of BF and re-run the diff file with some minor changes to get it to bind [at least the one I got shipped a few weeks back - it came with a development firmware on it and the newest non-dev version wouldn't bind for me.].