Help with Naze32 - No Yaw control!

Kevin2994

Please can someone help me out? I am working on building my first quad (experienced pilot but not builder) and I have setup the naze32 on my custom quadcopter and pitch and roll work but I have no yaw control over the quad? The board recognizes my inputs for yaw and they are in the correct direction and yet I have no control. The quad also seems to lose control for short amounts of time and it gets very sluggish and unresponsive. Please help!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Hey Kevin, welcome to the forum!

It's possible the yaw rate is toned so far down you wouldn't get a reaction to the stick movement, but since it's not spinning or drifting badly in yaw, I suspect the control loops are functioning acceptably well.

the "occasional loss of control", however points to another potential problem . . . How heavy is you quad? what motors/props are you using?

I have a sneaking suspicion you're too close to 1:1 thrust/weight ratio to be able to spare any power to torque the airframe.

Kevin2994

It does a slow CCW spin and I turned the rate up to .70 and still no control. The quad weighs a little more than my vortex I have and it uses the same motors as the vortex and I'm barely at half throttle when hovering it.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Hmmm . . . but you say you get yaw input signals on the configurator :p

The slow yaw but stable pitch/roll implies the P gain is sufficient (it may be able to go higher, but if it's not yawing wildly in a pitch/roll then it's probably enough), but a slow creep of yaw points to a low I gain -- P is doing a good job of bringing the yaw rate back to 0, but the I loop isn't remembering that it's drifted off and bringing it back . . . but that doesn't point to why you have no yaw control.

one last hardware thing to check -- are all your props in the same plane as each other? If one or more is badly skewed one way or another by warped booms it could be inducing a yaw response too strong for the other motors to cancel, leaving you with no headroom to have yaw control . . . but that's not likely the case. You would still have yaw response in one direction, just not both.

Sounds like something is wrong in the mixer -- a setup snafu :p easy to fix, just remap the airframe type to something else, save and set it back to quad. Otherwise . . . we're down to reflash the board and start the setup from scratch :(

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Are the props spinning in the right direction?

prop-rotational-directions-300x200.jpg

Kevin2994

Thanks for the help, I've done some further testing and I think it I have too much area underneath the props blocking the thrust and it is interfering with the controls. I am going to make a thinner boom so there is less resistance and I think it will solve my problem.