Hey what Radio System do you Use?

Droneflyer200

Hey I just wanted to start a discussion about Radio systems . I'm currently Using Flysky Radios as they are what I can afford at the moment but I see most of the guys Here use Spectrum Radios. When I started in RC in the 80s .Radios I used were 72 mgz Sanwa and futaba radios and my best bud flying buddy use Kraft. THese new digital computer radios have come a long way and made many hard to do things very easy.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Hey I just wanted to start a discussion about Radio systems . I'm currently Using Flysky Radios as they are what I can afford at the moment but I see most of the guys Here use Spectrum Radios. When I started in RC in the 80s .Radios I used were 72 mgz Sanwa and futaba radios and my best bud flying buddy use Kraft. THese new digital computer radios have come a long way and made many hard to do things very easy.
I also use a fly sky fs-i6x. Awesome radio! I am looking at a radiomaster tx-16s.

boogieloo

Do you make your own drones or do you order it as a kit? I didn't see many hobby companies coming out with drone kits. I would think that the companies that are coming out with drone kits are the IC companies that make IC boards for drones and IC chips for the drones, along with the motors to go along with that. I don't think the ones they sell at Best Buys store Inc. are the drones that are popular among hobby goers. I haven't seen any known company yet that came out with a kit that makes or are able for buyers to put together as kits. This would make a good deal. Like do you know what company that makes this drones? At this point, I wouldn't know where to look yet for parts. Interesting...

I'm also using Flysky 4 channel transmitter. I think I'm getting the hang of how this thing operates and thinks. I can fit about maybe 2 or 3 more model airplanes or drones to this Flysky 4 channel transmitter. Just got to order the receivers. I don't know too much about drones yet, but I'll get it. Similar functions as a model airplane. Throttle, ailerons, rolls angle, reverse throttle.

Attachments

• flying-drones-360-vr-video-768x432.jpg
    flying-drones-360-vr-video-768x432.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Do you make your own drones or do you order it as a kit? I didn't see many hobby companies coming out with drone kits. I would think that the companies that are coming out with drone kits are the IC companies that make IC boards for drones and IC chips for the drones, along with the motors to go along with that. I don't think the ones they sell at Best Buys store Inc. are the drones that are popular among hobby goers. I haven't seen any known company yet that came out with a kit that makes or are able for buyers to put together as kits. This would make a good deal.
Then you are missing out.
https://www.racedayquads.com/collec...-evoque-f5d-deadcat-5-quad-6s-choose-receiver

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Most around here make their own though.

That is because most commercially made MULTI ROTOR aircraft are total garbage. Even the best of them always come up short cutting corners on some of the parts. But the main reason is a lot of the commercially made things are proprietary and you cant make any changes or adapt better gear to "upgrade" their inherent weaknesses.

This is also how they will establish that they can and do produce "compliant" aircraft to cater to the new rules no matter how unsafe they are with added unnecessary tracking and lockouts all increasing weight on on aircraft with already shaky components.

Do you make your own drones or do you order it as a kit? I didn't see many hobby companies coming out with drone kits. I would think that the companies that are coming out with drone kits are the IC companies that make IC boards for drones and IC chips for the drones, along with the motors to go along with that. I don't think the ones they sell at Best Buys store Inc. are the drones that are popular among hobby goers. I haven't seen any known company yet that came out with a kit that makes or are able for buyers to put together as kits. This would make a good deal. Like do you know what company that makes this drones? At this point, I wouldn't know where to look yet for parts. Interesting...

I'm also using Flysky 4 channel transmitter. I think I'm getting the hang of how this thing operates and thinks. I can fit about maybe 2 or 3 more model airplanes or drones to this Flysky 4 channel transmitter. Just got to order the receivers. I don't know too much about drones yet, but I'll get it. Similar functions as a model airplane. Throttle, ailerons, rolls angle, reverse throttle.

@KN4IUU gave you the perfect link to source parts for a build. Not only do they have respectable quality parts but they are also the only entity actually taking legal action against the F.A.A. destroying the hobby. Anything bought on their site helps them fight that legal battle on everyone's behalf. They are not in the game with smiles and compromise like has happened in the past while they take more away with each stage of the implementation of rules.

The multi rotors sold in chain stores are barely toy grade quality and should be avoided at ALL costs. Not only are they cheap, they are unsafe and most likely the first crash will bet the last on every one of them as they are made to be disposable and not repairable like hobby grade aircraft.

Just a heads up.. Multirotor aircraft are NOTHING like fixed wing other then they both use batteries and are remotely controlled.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
That is because most commercially made MULTI ROTOR aircraft are total garbage. Even the best of them always come up short cutting corners on some of the parts. But the main reason is a lot of the commercially made things are proprietary and you cant make any changes or adapt better gear to "upgrade" their inherent weaknesses.

This is also how they will establish that they can and do produce "compliant" aircraft to cater to the new rules no matter how unsafe they are with added unnecessary tracking and lockouts all increasing weight on on aircraft with already shaky components.

@KN4IUU gave you the perfect link to source parts for a build. Not only do they have respectable quality parts but they are also the only entity actually taking legal action against the F.A.A. destroying the hobby. Anything bought on their site helps them fight that legal battle on everyone's behalf. They are not in the game with smiles and compromise like has happened in the past while they take more away with each stage of the implementation of rules.

The multi rotors sold in chain stores are barely toy grade quality and should be avoided at ALL costs. Not only are they cheap, they are unsafe and most likely the first crash will bet the last on every one of them as they are made to be disposable and not repairable like hobby grade aircraft.

Just a heads up.. Multirotor aircraft are NOTHING like fixed wing other then they both use batteries and are remotely controlled.
Also I have an amazing experience with RDQ a while back. They are an amazing store even without their fight against the FAA. I ordered a Mobula 6 FlySky from them. When it arrived I ended up getting a FRSky version. But within 2 days I had a new one in my hands. Talk about good customer service! I also live super close to them so they deliver in one day

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Also I have an amazing experience with RDQ a while back. They are an amazing store even without their fight against the FAA. I ordered a Mobula 6 FlySky from them. When it arrived I ended up getting a FRSky version. But within 2 days I had a new one in my hands. Talk about good customer service! I also live super close to them so they deliver in one day

If you get the chance go in there, Shake Tylers hand and say thank you from me, possibly everyone else here as well. I also have not had one issue with anything from there. Well except the odd order I didn't get my candy in the order. :ROFLMAO:

Droneflyer200

For the most part I totally agree with PsyBorg . I own quite a few quads and the one I have the most fun with is my Parrot AR 2.0 drone that was converted to Rc thanks to Mike Rousse from the San Diego area and his Miru Mod. The AR drone as it was originally designed was a disaster the wifi control system was next to useless and prone to fly-aways. Interference from WIFI etc. would have it run amok. After installing Mikes Arduino based board as an interface to an Rc receiver the AR becomes a fun little drone to fly and very control able. I also own several DJI Phantoms from an original Phantom 1 to the Phantom 3 Pro I like capturing aerial video and photos. I soon found out that the Drone I spent 1500 dollars on was full of flaws and substandard part mount of a motor s and construction. I almost lost my Phantom 3 when stress cracks formed in the motor pylon and gave way in flight and almost crashed the drone. I ordered new parts and with instruction from the net repaired and mine and have repaired a few others for other people. I come to the conclusion that these flaws were ether designed into the drone to ether save cost or to create a money stream for DJI in the form of costly Repairs. Build your own is the best way to go!

Droneflyer200

Hey I have noticed that these forums seldom stay on topic to me what is important is the dialog and interchange of ideas. Yes I was looking for everyone's and Ideas on Radio Systems there strengths and weaknesses not a debate but a discussion. Radios have come along way from when I first got into RC I even dabbled in Pulse proportional radio with magnetic actuators single channel. The way I look at it its constructive to stay on topic but if guys want to bring other topics in what can it hurt conversations often evolve.

Droneflyer200

Your quite right Hondo this was meant to be a discussion of Radio Systems and it was never intended as a debate. We all have personal Preferences but many of us have experiences and invaluable insights that can help others. One can learn from these and possibly avoid problems. Crashing and Radio problems are a part of this hobby. Just In anything All things are not created equal and there maybe things I never considered thats one of you maybe have encountered and solved!

Bricks

Master member
I am a Spektrum guy DX9 cannot beat there service and they stand behind there products customer service unbeatable. You do pay for that type of customer service, I have sent in 3 different DX transmitters for repair and have never been charged anything except postage to them.

That being said I do own a Radiomaster TX16s as most that read these forums know that my biggest complaint is the ergonomics it is just a square box to me does not feel that great in hand. Even thou my DX9 does not have Hall Sensor gimbals they still feel better then the Radiomasters. Latest problem the Radiomaster for some unknown reason will not except adding Expo and changing end points to any of my new programed planes. If you like to tinker with this type of stuff the Radiomaster is for you. I am getting a little tired of these constant issues that creep up. For me what does not help I have no one locally that really knows how to use OTx they have the radios that run it but besides the very basics have no clue.

L Edge

Master member
Hey I have noticed that these forums seldom stay on topic to me what is important is the dialog and interchange of ideas. Yes I was looking for everyone's and Ideas on Radio Systems there strengths and weaknesses not a debate but a discussion. Radios have come along way from when I first got into RC I even dabbled in Pulse proportional radio with magnetic actuators single channel. The way I look at it its constructive to stay on topic but if guys want to bring other topics in what can it hurt conversations often evolve.

Yeah, there should be discussions rather than debate.
For instance:
1) As you move along in the RC world, next radio, on how many channels to get?
2) How many program mixes do you use?
3) Telemetry(what is available) like Rx frames and holds for lose of planes
4) Programable Rx's for gyro's in rate and head holding mode?
5) What about sequencing(like gear door open, drops gear, closes door)

I hope other's add to the list.

Piotrsko

Master member
Yeah, there should be discussions rather than debate.
For instance:
1) As you move along in the RC world, next radio, on how many channels to get?
2) How many program mixes do you use?
3) Telemetry(what is available) like Rx frames and holds for lose of planes
4) Programable Rx's for gyro's in rate and head holding mode?
5) What about sequencing(like gear door open, drops gear, closes door)

I hope other's add to the list.

Like my stuff simple
so 3 channels: for gas only need 2
Never went OOS, so don't need telemetry
Sometimes the plane needs the other holes in the servo arm
1mix for wings, but I can still do mechanical mixing
Everything I own is trimmed for neutral on the trim so don't need computers
Gear is down and welded, most of the time it's not there.
Im an odd duck, apparently.

Last edited:
I am a Spektrum guy DX9 cannot beat there service and they stand behind there products customer service unbeatable. You do pay for that type of customer service, I have sent in 3 different DX transmitters for repair and have never been charged anything except postage to them.

That being said I do own a Radiomaster TX16s as most that read these forums know that my biggest complaint is the ergonomics it is just a square box to me does not feel that great in hand. Even thou my DX9 does not have Hall Sensor gimbals they still feel better then the Radiomasters. Latest problem the Radiomaster for some unknown reason will not except adding Expo and changing end points to any of my new programed planes. If you like to tinker with this type of stuff the Radiomaster is for you. I am getting a little tired of these constant issues that creep up. For me what does not help I have no one locally that really knows how to use OTx they have the radios that run it but besides the very basics have no clue.
Pretty well said @Bricks. "If you like to tinker with this type of stuff the Radiomaster is for you." My personal interest is design/build/test fly and not electronics and programming. For me this hobby is a good alternative to more computer time, and I'd rather not combine the two. Again, my personal taste, but for me the Spektrum does much more than I'll ever ask it to do, does it best and with no fuss.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Sorry my friend but you need to get your facts right not everyone on here uses Spektrum. Some of us use Open Tx radios, as we can't afford the prices Spektrum charge for there gear :eek:. By the way there is nothing wrong with Flysky, I use several FS-ia6b receivers on my planes. I also use Spektrum, FRsky and Radiomaster receivers its the advantage of using a multiprotocol system ;)(y)
(Here we go again :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:).

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member

I can understand how how Open Tx may appear daunting to some, particularly if you have been used single protocol systems for a long time. But its like anything, once you understand the basic principles of how the process works, it just requires regular practice to familiarise yourself with the system. Like playing a musical instrument, it needs practice eventually it becomes second nature. Once you master it the process is very rewarding to use, I love the freedom that you get with the functionality of Open Tx transmitters.
Obviously Open Tx is not for everyone, its Marmite you either love it or hate it.
As for ergonomics its no different to any other transmitter whether its a Spektrum, Futaba, Flysky or FRsky its a box with switches and gimbals how it feels in an operators hands is subjective. You hate how it feels, I am the opposite I love it. At the end of the day it doesn't matter
as long as you have a transmitter that you like and enjoy using, that is all that matters. The good side of this part of the hobby is, we have a choice :)(y).

bisco

Elite member
spektrum dx. it was a difficult choice when i started last year. hard to say if something is the right choice. i've been pleased with it for the most part.
the only time i wish a ihad open tx is when i buy one of the off brand planes with fixed receivers like xk or omp. then i have to dosurgeryto get a spektrum compatible rx in there.
i'm glad i didn't go with anything more complicated though, my limited brain cells can barely deal with spektrum.
the biggest prolem is everything is pc based, and i'm an apple user.