Hey what Radio System do you Use?

GrizWiz

Elite member
I use a FS-I6 as it is cheap. However I would recommend getting a spectrum or frsky transmitter and receiver instead. Using a flysky transmitter really limits you when trying to branch out to other parts of the hobby. Take drones for instance, most bnf drones use a frsky receiver. Most micro plane AIO receivers also use spekrum or frsky.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I was considering the FRsky 9xpro but decided on the Tx16s instead based on cost. I can't fault the FRsky receivers for reliability and range, particularly like the X8R and X6R receivers due to the telemetry options

Droneflyer200

Now this is the kind of discussion I was looking for there is a wealth of knowledge here. I'm learning allot! consider the fact that its not just Us here there is probably a large group of lurkers in the background curious about the hobby and considering getting their feet wet so to speak.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Our transmitters... Also getting another jr x3710.
I'm using them because they are dirt cheap, reliable, and sturdy. Plus I can get the receivers for the equivalent of about $3 each.

I'm quite a fan of them as they are easy to use. And tons of them for free or a very small cost..

Currently I'm getting about 2 hours of battery life on each one. But if I replace the batteries I'll get about 10 hours time. I also like them because they will penetrate through trees and shrubs much easier.
I got 2 of these transmitters for free the SANWA and the max66adt for free. The other one jr x2610 I paid equivalent of $10 for.
All are 6ch ones and have throttle cut the one also has failsafe.

Attachments

• DSC_0725.JPG
    DSC_0725.JPG
    889.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Our transmitters... Also getting another jr x3710.
I'm using them because they are dirt cheap, reliable, and sturdy. Plus I can get the receivers for the equivalent of about $3 each.

I'm quite a fan of them as they are easy to use. And tons of them for free or a very small cost..

Currently I'm getting about 2 hours of battery life on each one. But if I replace the batteries I'll get about 10 hours time. I also like them because they will penetrate through trees and shrubs much easier.
I got 2 of these transmitters for free the SANWA and the max66adt for free. The other one jr x2610 I paid equivalent of $10 for.
All are 6ch ones and have throttle cut the one also has failsafe.
Sure it's a bit of a nuisance to do the whole crystal swop thing.
Also I don't have to worry about interference as I fly out in the middle of no where, with no one flying within 5 km of me

Droneflyer200

I have a Flysky FS-i6x , it has worked great, can do a little mixing with it, model memory . It was a good starter radio for me but thinking about upgrading to something else with a little more capability.
I agree the open tx concept with Muti protocols sound like it would open alot of possibilities.

Bricks

Master member
Here is what I needed to do to get my flight timer to work right. This is how OT works not the easiest. Once you go thru all of this then you have to go back to the model setup page and put L04 in the line for the timer to make this active yea not an easy operating system. Sine this cannot be a global I have to go thru this for my timers for every model ( at least as far as I can find out ).

IMG_20211122_183659882.jpg
IMG_20211122_183659882.jpg

Not sure how I got two images of the same thing and for some reason will not let me edit one of them.

Last edited:

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Here is what I needed to do to get my flight timer to work right. This is how OT works not the easiest. Once you go thru all of this then you have to go back to the model setup page and put L04 in the line for the timer to make this active yea not an easy operating system.

View attachment 212305 View attachment 212305

Not sure how I got two images of the same thing and for some reason will not let me edit one of them.
You have done this setup using logical switches for a countdown timer ?

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I have my count down timer set up on a 3 way switch.
Example: SF up - timer off, SF middle - timer reset and SF low - Timer start.

It is a far more basic setup than the method you have used. When ever I duplicate a model it copies the count down timer setup over to the new model. All I have to do is calculate how long I will fly the new model and alter the time period accordingly. Everything else setting wise stays the same, down to the countdown timer starting when I get to the last 30 seconds of flight time.

I will try to get it written down tomorrow night for you and post it so you can try it out if you want.

dap35

Elite member
I was considering the FRsky 9xpro but decided on the Tx16s instead based on cost. I can't fault the FRsky receivers for reliability and range, particularly like the X8R and X6R receivers due to the telemetry options
I recently made the switch from Futaba to FrSky with a new X20s. This runs the new Ethos OS. As best I can tell, it has taken lessons learned from OTX with a better GUI. So far I've been pretty pleased with with the new system.

Bricks

Master member
This timer is set up to work off of the throttle stick as I did not want my timer to run when my throttle was all the way down or when my throttle cut is active and throttle stick was up.. I did not want to remember extra switches as the same switch controls my throttle cut= all in one. Reset timer is on a different switch.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
As ive posted many times, I started with spektrum and still use it. I think they're an excellent choice. I mainly use an Ix20 and Dx8 now and while i have things i can nitpick about spektrum (like the fact that i havent had propper sliders [great for pan and tilt] until i got the 20 🙄) i wouldnt go back and change it if i could.

I dont have much for experience on other ones so ill just offer what advice i can give for spektrum.

Dont get a Dxe.
I dont like mine, never have. I dont like using a separate device to program it. While the physical construction is good there are plenty of cheaper transmitters that are way better equipped.

I like the ease of programming the transmitter, i like having plenty of switches to do mixes and such. Great for doing maidens.

Last edited:

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
This timer is set up to work off of the throttle stick as I did not want my timer to run when my throttle was all the way down or when my throttle cut is active and throttle stick was up.. I did not want to remember extra switches as the same switch controls my throttle cut= all in one. Reset timer is on a different switch.
Everyone has there own preferences, if you prefer to operate from the throttle stick that's fine. Its the beauty of Open Tx, you can set up your transmitter how you want and how you like it to operate.
I am use to a specific switch for my timer, its the same switch for all models and I am now use to where it is. I also follow a set a procedure prior to take off, which involves first putting my timer to the reset position. I then arm my motor with another switch and taxi the model to position. Once I have completed a final last check of all control surfaces, I move the timer switch to on and the countdown starts, then I open my throttle and away I go.
Its not for everyone I know, but its my preferred method and it works for me. If I hand launch a model the procedure is slightly different and because of that, I have occasionally forgot to set my timer going until the model is in the air.

dap35

Elite member
As @FlyingBrit points out, there are options. I have my FrSky set up the same as you - the Timer is tied to my throttle. Also, since I get great telemetry, I have alarms set up when my rx battery voltage drops at or below a threshold for > 4 seconds. Moving to a programmable radio has been such an improvement. Heck, I was even able to do a post mortem on my last failed maiden and determined the fatal impact occured at 56mph at an angle of 67 degrees to the ground, .33 miles away from me in a field. :)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
As ive posted many times, I started with spektrum and still use it. I think they're an excellent choice. I mainly use an Ix20 and Dx12 now and while i have things i can nitpick about spektrum (like the fact that i havent had propper sliders [great for pan and tilt] until i got the 20 🙄) i wouldnt go back and change it if i could.

I dont have much for experience on other ones so ill just offer what advice i can give for spektrum.

Dont get a Dxe.
I dont like mine, never have. I dont like using a separate device to program it. While the physical construction is good there are plenty of cheaper transmitters that are way better equipped.

I like the ease of programming the transmitter, i like having plenty of switches to do mixes and such. Great for doing maidens.
I take it that you’re liking the Ix-20. I must say I have a hard time justifying that kind of money when I think of all the other planes I could buy with it, but I know it would be worth the investment and it’s been teasing me for a while now…