Hey what Radio System do you Use?

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
You don't need a computer to use Open Tx it can all be done through the transmitter, that's the beauty if the system. However, if your that way inclined. You can use Open Tx companion on Windows (not sure if its supported on Apple) and make changes using your PC, then transfer those changes via a USB link to the transmitter.
Apparently yes you can: OpenTX Companion is available for Windows, Apple OSX and Linux.

Flyingshark

Master member
I have a Spektrum DX6e. I started out with a DXe and upgraded for more features. I'm super happy with it (after a year and a half of use, the worst thing that has happened is some of the stickers peeling off).

spektrum dx. it was a difficult choice when i started last year. hard to say if something is the right choice. i've been pleased with it for the most part.
the only time i wish a ihad open tx is when i buy one of the off brand planes with fixed receivers like xk or omp. then i have to dosurgeryto get a spektrum compatible rx in there.
i'm glad i didn't go with anything more complicated though, my limited brain cells can barely deal with spektrum.
the biggest prolem is everything is pc based, and i'm an apple user.
That's my issue too, but it comes with the territory: No cross-compatibility. But hey, they want to own the market, they want to be the Cadillac in a lot full of Plymouths, build it best and allow no cross-compatibility I guess.
I'm with you @bisco, the highest level of complication I want to be dealing with is setting up for differential thrust, and I do all that within the radio itself.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
That's my issue too, but it comes with the territory: No cross-compatibility. But hey, they want to own the market, they want to be the Cadillac in a lot full of Plymouths, build it best and allow no cross-compatibility I guess.
I'm with you @bisco, the highest level of complication I want to be dealing with is setting up for differential thrust, and I do all that within the radio itself.
I too can set up differential thrust using Open Tx its not too difficult. I get the impression that people on the forum think that Open Tx is some sort of high level programming language and you probably need a computer to use or access it.
You couldn't be further from the truth, apart from using the Open Tx companion once for loading a firmware update in the early days, I've never used it since. Even a firmware down load can be done using a USB cable linked to the transmitter.
All my setup's are done directly on the transmitter itself, in fact most new planes I can now setup on the transmitter within less than 5 minutes.

As I have 25 models setup on my transmitter, its as easy as selecting one that is the closest match to my new model. All I need to do then is, select the chosen saved model and duplicate it.
I can then modify the Name and ID picture and save the duplicate, this is now a basic template for my new model.
From here I set up the receiver I plan to use and bind it to the transmitter, hard part done. The rest is just basic setting changes: timer, throws, control surface direction, expo etc same as any other transmitter.
Once all the necessary setting are changed and saved in the memory, it all done ready to fly.

Yes you need to learn how to set up the initial models from scratch to begin with. But it isn't rocket science and once you have learned how to do one, the other models become easier. There is even a basic setup wizard, if you can't be bothered doing it from scratch.

Bricks

Master member
Many of the top transmitters are not just a box they have a shape and form to them, could be part of why they are at the top of the heap.

I know I am giving this OTx stuff the best shot I can, it would be so much easier if I could find someone within the 3 clubs locally that really knows how to use OTx.

Right now the problem is I created a new plane and it will not let me set up any Expo or rates, or should I say it lets me set them up but nothing happens when you watch the curve for expo . My other 6 I have in the radio still work as they should.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Many of the top transmitters are not just a box they have a shape and form to them, could be part of why they are at the top of the heap.

I know I am giving this OTx stuff the best shot I can, it would be so much easier if I could find someone within the 3 clubs locally that really knows how to use OTx.

Right now the problem is I created a new plane and it will not let me set up any Expo or rates, or should I say it lets me set them up but nothing happens when you watch the curve for expo . My other 6 I have in the radio still work as they should.
I need have a think about that one. But it sounds like your stick inputs aren't linked to the rates you have set up in the mix page ? therefore your expo is also not linked to the inputs just the mix settings ?

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!

I have expo and rates on all models in my TX16S. It can be done, and it is easy. I am a bit busy at the moment, but when I have the time I'll post a link to a video on how to do that. There is a ton of really good info on OTX, and EdgeTX on Youtube.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I have expo and rates on all models in my TX16S. It can be done, and it is easy. I am a bit busy at the moment, but when I have the time I'll post a link to a video on how to do that. There is a ton of really good info on OTX, and EdgeTX on Youtube.
Woh hold on there, I wouldn't venture on the Edge Tx just yet. From what I have seen, there are still some bugs need sorting and not really a lot of benefits so far over Open Tx, beyond the fact they got the touch screen working.

I too can set up differential thrust using Open Tx its not too difficult. I get the impression that people on the forum think that Open Tx is some sort of high level programming language and you probably need a computer to use or access it.
You couldn't be further from the truth, apart from using the Open Tx companion once for loading a firmware update in the early days, I've never used it since. Even a firmware down load can be done using a USB cable linked to the transmitter.
All my setup's are done directly on the transmitter itself, in fact most new planes I can now setup on the transmitter within less than 5 minutes.

As I have 25 models setup on my transmitter, its as easy as selecting one that is the closest match to my new model. All I need to do then is, select the chosen saved model and duplicate it.
I can then modify the Name and ID picture and save the duplicate, this is now a basic template for my new model.
From here I set up the receiver I plan to use and bind it to the transmitter, hard part done. The rest is just basic setting changes: timer, throws, control surface direction, expo etc same as any other transmitter.
Once all the necessary setting are changed and saved in the memory, it all done ready to fly.

Yes you need to learn how to set up the initial models from scratch to begin with. But it isn't rocket science and once you have learned how to do one, the other models become easier. There is even a basic setup wizard, if you can't be bothered doing it from scratch.
You make it sound not so bad. Maybe using a Tx is like choosing a brand of spray paint. Pick one good one and it can't be a bad choice, but the more you're into it the harder it is to change, because you have a growing collection of colors from the first brand.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member

I assume from the input page you have selected edit then inseted
You make it sound not so bad. Maybe using a Tx is like choosing a brand of spray paint. Pick one good one and it can't be a bad choice, but the more you're into it the harder it is to change, because you have a growing collection of colors from the first brand.
I have used many brands over the years Futaba, JR, Spektrum and Radiomaster. Trust me if Radiomaster wasn't reliable and user friendly I wouldn't have bought a second one. I would have changed manufacturer and gone with FRsky instead probably.

bisco

Elite member
when choosing my tx, i talked to a lot of people. pretty much everyone admitted that open tx was far superior to spektrum, but had a much higher learning curve. that pretty much sealed the deal for me because i am not tech savvy.
i found the spektrum learning curve difficult enough, the manual almost useless, and some guy in the u/k sells an explainer for $90. :unsure:
i pretty much go to you tube every time i do something on it, and i cannot update it because i don't have windows.
i love the voice call outs though. if i try to look at the screen, when i look back up, my plane is gone.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Woh hold on there, I wouldn't venture on the Edge Tx just yet. From what I have seen, there are still some bugs need sorting and not really a lot of benefits so far over Open Tx, beyond the fact they got the touch screen working.
ETX 2.4 is a solid build. It's not a nightly. And, it has been in the wild for a while, now.
2.5 is basically the same as 2.4, but has added themes which are somewhat limited, and is not yet a fully stable build.
OTX has not produced a stable build since 2.3.ish and that has been well over a year. ETX is far ahead, and has gained support/funding from several manufacturers already.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Its like anything I guess its what you get use to.
If everyone started off using Open Tx it would have become the norm. Then it wouldn't matter which transmitter you bought because everyone would be familiar with the operating system.
Because most operators are use to the conventional style of operating system which is fairly simple to use, a system like Open Tx appears over complicated.
Yet in reality both systems operate in exactly the same way, how you input your models information into the transmitter is the only difference.
Take the Open Tx input screen for example:
1637540739116.png

At first glance it may look intimidating, but in reality its simple.
Ch1 is the aileron which is set up at 100% using the Ail stick input
CH2 is the elevator also set up at 100% using the Ele Stick input
etc
Basically AETR.
If you go into edit for any of these inputs, you can change the setting. Or you can insert after and add reduced throws or expo.
1637541026683.png

1637541270521.png

This example is for the rudder but the same applies for any input you want to modify.
The weight at present is 100% (or full deflection), you can reduce that weight to 75% giving a reduced throw. If the rudder was off set from center, you could change the Offset value and it will allow you to centralise the rudder. By selecting the curve option it will allow you to choose Expo and put in your own value, say 30%. Finally you need to select a switch to assign your dual rate to.
Once you save this the new input will appear below the 100% Rudder input and will appear as Rudder 75%.
By repeating the process and inserting another input below the 75% input line. You can add another reduced rate say 50%, and assign another position on the same switch. You can again add Expo at the same rate of 30% or increase it to 40%.
1637542285241.png

Not the best example but should give you an idea what it should look like. In this example the inputs are in a different order, ignoring that if you look at the Ail input.
The first one is the aileron at 100% operating on switch SB in the up position
The second one is the aileron at 75% operating on the same 3 way switch SB but in the mid position.
Finally the last aileron input is at 50% with SB in the down position.
1637542636584.png

On this example: with a Taranis transmitter the E60, E45 and E30 display the Expo % values set on Rudder inputs.
Hope this hasn't over complicated things and explains one of the functions of an Open TX setup

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
ETX 2.4 is a solid build. It's not a nightly. And, it has been in the wild for a while, now.
2.5 is basically the same as 2.4, but has added themes which are somewhat limited, and is not yet a fully stable build.
OTX has not produced a stable build since 2.3.ish and that has been well over a year. ETX is far ahead, and has gained support/funding from several manufacturers already.
I watched the Joshua Bardwell review on it recently on You Tube and to be honest I wasn't that impressed. It didn't hold any improvements of value to me personally above the Open Tx system I use at present. I was never a lover of the touch screen option anyway so no bonus there.
I congratulate them in at least taking the software development on and progressing it, but at the moment I would rather hang on for 12 months until its had plenty of time to get any glitches ironed out.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I am still back on the 2.3.9 Open Tx firmware version on my original Transmitter, the new transmitter has the .13 version at least. I believe they are up to 2.3.14 at the moment, I should really update but I believe if it aint broke and works don't fix it.
Same with swapping over to Edge Tx I am reluctant to swap as my system works well as it is, I don't want to screw it up with a firmware mod I don't need.

Droneflyer200

No Brit I didn't mean what you implied what I meant was the impression I had gotten was that most were using Spectrum Radios and Open TX sounds very intriguing. The information that has been given about Spectrum has been very interesting I like the fact that they stand behind there product it kind of reminds me of the past and Kraft Radios Like I said I hale from the 72MGHZ era and cloth pin frequency control. The Tec has completely changed and I'm back in the learning curve. but an old dog can learn new tricks,

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
No Brit I didn't mean what you implied what I meant was the impression I had gotten was that most were using Spectrum Radios and Open TX sounds very intriguing. The information that has been given about Spectrum has been very interesting I like the fact that they stand behind there product it kind of reminds me of the past and Kraft Radios Like I said I hale from the 72MGHZ era and cloth pin frequency control. The Tec has completely changed and I'm back in the learning curve. but an old dog can learn new tricks,
My first Futaba was a 72 system, I then traded it in and got a Futaba 35 set. Gave up for a long while, but finally got back in the hobby after a long break. I soon realised my old Futaba challenger wouldn't cut it anymore. I was advised to buy a Spektrum 2.4ghz system, but bought a Futaba TE6x 2.4ghz transmitter instead. The receivers where absolutely ridiculas prices, so bought FRsky versions using FASST protocol instead. They worked brilliantly and gave me a lot of confidence in FRsky products.
Then I succumbed and bought a couple of Spektrum DX6i transmitters. Once again I started getting ripped off this time buying Spektrum receivers the basic AR410's ended up selling around £28.
Then I discovered Open Tx based systems was initially the Taranis x9 and the Jumper T16, glad I didn't go for the Jumper as the early ones proved un-reliable, the Taranis proved a little overpriced at the time.
However, fortunately for me shortly after Radiomaster came out. They where manufactured by a breakaway faction of the Jumper firm and started selling the TX16s with Hall effect gimbals, they corrected all the issues the early Jumpers had.
The rest is as they say history, I sold all my old transmitters and now just own the 2 Radiomaster's. Had my first one a couple of years now, with no problems (except a small drift on the gimbal centering in cold weather, easily sorted with a re-calibration).
I use an assortment of receivers now, all bought new and all cheaper to buy than Spektrum or Futaba receivers. The only receivers that have given me occasional problems are the Spektrum ones, so If I can sell those off this year and replace them with FRsky I will just for piece of mind.

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I use Spektrum, a dx-7 G2 to be specific. It’s a fantastic radio. I’m planning on upgrading to an nx-10 in the near future. I also have a jumper t-16 but haven’t had any luck with it yet.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I use a Turnigy 9xr Pro, running Er9x. I installed the 4 in 1 module, mostly use Flysky receivers, leftovers from my previous Tx, a Flysky 9x. I have a few lemon and spectrum Rxs and one Frsky Rx. All work well.

This setup does everything I need it to do. The only range issues have been with the occasional damaged antenna on the Rx. Replace or repair the antenna and your good to go.

Last edited: