Hi everyone I'm tinstructor!

tinstructor

Fly Forest! Fly!
I've completed the build. Now I've only got to configure everything in Cleanflight. Apart from the failsafe, is there anything I shouldn't forget?

PS: Doesn't she look beatifull?

7.jpg

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor

tinstructor

Fly Forest! Fly!
I can't find the correct cleanflight firmware for my FC. It's a HolyBro Race 32 F303 Deluxe. I can't get anything else to work either. This red LED keeps flashing on the FC

Last edited:

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
It's either a driver issue or you're not in bootloader mode. There should be 2 boot pads that you have to short while plugging in the USB.

tinstructor

Fly Forest! Fly!
Holy sh*t those are neon green letters the size of an atom. No wonder I overlooked them. Thanks, will be reporting if that works.

tinstructor

Fly Forest! Fly!
Still no luck. However the power LED now stopped flashing. Goddamnit I bricked it. Tried soldering a very tiny wire to one side of the JP2 pads and slid out, pulled both pads off clean. Bye bye FC! Will not be buying this crap again. Probably going for an SP F3 then. 30€ down the drain makes me said though. That's enough to get really drunk ... twice

Last edited:

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Still no luck. However the power LED now stopped flashing. Goddamnit I bricked it. Tried soldering a very tiny wire to one side of the JP2 pads and slid out, pulled both pads off clean. Bye bye FC! Will not be buying this crap again. Probably going for an SP F3 then. 30€ down the drain makes me said though. That's enough to get really drunk ... twice

All may not be lost... Try and connect with Betaflight. If it lets you, you can go to the CLI and enter DFU - this should put you in bootloader mode. If you can't connect at all with cleanflight or betaflight you may be done ;)

tinstructor

Fly Forest! Fly!
Ok I did break the Race 32, it is basically wall decoration now. However I got this very promising FC which is basically just an F3 version of the Naze32 rev6 with a dedicated boot button:
https://quadcoptersenzo.nl/en/epiquad/epiquad_electronics/epiquad_epifc3

So far so good it works like a charm. I wonder however if I can solder the 5V out and GND from the PDB BEC to one of the open servo slots in order to power the board?

PS: I broke an antenne on my receiver :( this is turning into a very costly hobby before I've even crashed the damn thing. However I still have a TGY IA6B receiver since the radio came with both an IA6C (which I broke) and an IA6B. Can someone please help me with setting up SBUS or IBus (not sure if the FC supports it) or PPM if those aren't an option?

Last edited:

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
So far so good it works like a charm. I wonder however if I can solder the 5V out and GND from the PDB BEC to one of the open servo slots in order to power the board?

Yup, that's where you connect it.

PS: I broke an antenne on my receiver :( this is turning into a very costly hobby before I've even crashed the damn thing. However I still have a TGY IA6B receiver since the radio came with both an IA6C (which I broke) and an IA6B. Can someone please help me with setting up SBUS or IBus (not sure if the FC supports it) or PPM if those aren't an option?

As long as you have a spare UART on the board and are running Cleanflight or Betaflight you can use ibus. Connect the ibus signal wire to one of the UART Rx pins, there should be +5V and ground pins nearby. In the ports tab enable Serial Rx on whichever UART you connected to. In the config tab choose Serial based receiver and IBUS as serial provider. You should be good to go.

You may also be able to replace the broken antenna on the other Rx, quite often they have a connector which makes it simple. You'll have to open the case to find out. These should work with any 2.4 system with a suitable connector. https://www.banggood.com/10X-150mm-2_4G-Receiver-Antenna-IPEX-Port-For-FRSKY-JR-p-1046122.html

Last edited:

tinstructor

Fly Forest! Fly!
Ok so minor update here. I've been flying now and then, but since I'm in the middle of finals I haven't been out as much as I would like. Also, because of that is has been kind of tricky to film a flight when I'm on my own (first attempt I broke 2 props :cool:). That being said I've had some trouble with my frame. Turns out HobbyKing sells it as being made out of carbon fiber. However it's actually a cheaply made clone of the G10 variant of the Lumenier QAV250. After like three minor crashes the frame started to delaminate. This makes me wonder where all the positive reviews on HobbyKing come from since it is neither very durable nor correctly described. Getting my money back doesn't seem to be an option which leaves me kinda pissed. I've glued all cracks shut with some epoxy but it is needless to say that I will not continue to fly this frame for a long time so I've been looking on Banggood for a QAV210 clone and I've come up with 2 options which are most definitely carbon and seem to be very durable. If any one has some experience with these frames let me know. Also some general pointers when frame shopping would be nice.

https://www.banggood.com/LT210-210m...-10-Pairs-Propeller-p-1011578.html?rmmds=cart

https://www.banggood.com/Realacc-21...Gopro-Camera-Base-p-1063698.html?rmmds=search

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
If you're looking for a durable quad in this size, I think best ones you'll find are the HMB line by MultiRC. The HMB stands for 'Hold My Beer', the statement often made before someone tries something spectacularly dumb :)

http://multirc.com/hmb-235-v2/

It costs a few bucks more than the HK or BG ones, but it's proven nearly indestructible - and if you do manage to break something on the frame, the guys seriously want a picture and to hear your story - they will quickly warranty replace either of the plates if you can do that.

Check out some of the crash videos for this thing on youtube for a good laugh - full speed into fence posts, sides of buildings, 100 foot drops onto concrete, etc.