HobbyKing KK-board V3!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
hkkk.jpg

Hi everyone!

Just heard from pgerts that a new version of the KK multicopter control board has been released on HobbyKing.

Comparison:

At a first glance, the only difference is that V2.1 is green, V3 is blue.
All the specs are the same, except the processor. The V2.1 came with a Atmega168PA chip, the V3 comes with a Atmega328PA. (Personally I have no clue what this means. Faster processing or more complex programming?)

The V3 has exactly the same layout as the V2.1, same size, same weight.

Price is currently at $20 (19.52 with buddy code) for V3, while V2.1 is only $15 ($12.44 with buddy code).

This is a new product, so there are no reviews yet. We'll see!

UPDATE:

The kkflashtool webpage (http://lazyzero.de/kkflashtool) states that it supports HK KKv3.

UPDATE:

Indeed the software is already compatible with the V3 board:

KKboardv3.jpg

Last edited:

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I knew that would happen since I just got my 2.1 today. :mad: Atmega328PA is a much better chip. :cool:

Thurmond

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
So is it worth to go for the extra $8? Maybe future firmware updates with more capability that only run on V3?

glydr

How many letters do we ge
I just got my 2.1 today. :mad:

I had thought the same, but the 2.1 is adequate for my mini quad and given the choice I likely would have gone 2.1 anyway and kept the $8.

The 328 allows for more complex programming. The other difference worth noting is the spec advertises better gyros.

How about a board comparison episode guys? I'd also love to see the v3 compared with a multi wii.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
The 328 allows for more complex programming. The other difference worth noting is the spec advertises better gyros.

Those specs are just copied and pasted from the V2.1, which were copied and pasted from the V2, which was the update from V1. The gyros were updated from V1 to V2. If you look at the pictures, the gyros look the same on all but the V1 board.

BTW, I would already have ordered the V2.1 if they were in stock... Just $12! OMG I ♥ HK (so far)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
These are the only differences stated, the processor (IC).

V1V2.1V3
ChipAtmega48PAAtmega168PAAtmega328PA
Flash Memory (KB)41632

Although the type of gyros used changed from V1 to V2.1 , as seen in the pictures below, HobbyKing does not state this. The newer gyros are smaller, and (apparently) they do not change from V2.1 to V3.

V1:

QUAD-CON.jpg

V2.1

QUAD-CON16K-v2-2.jpg

Last edited:
the only difference between the μC's is the size of the flash memory, so the new version can hold a larger program wich means the program itself could be more complex.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Exactly what I found out here, the info is for the KKboard 5.5 (not sold by HK), but the reason for a better processor should be the same:

The on board Atmega328P or Atmega168 chip gives users the extra space to load expanded firmware with higher refresh rates to enhance stability

Since the V3.0 has just arrived to the masses, in some time we can probably expect upgraded firmwares that only fit into the V3.0.

Source

Johntra

Exactly what I found out here, the info is for the KKboard 5.5 (not sold by HK), but the reason for a better processor should be the same:

Since the V3.0 has just arrived to the masses, in some time we can probably expect upgraded firmwares that only fit into the V3.0.

Source

I would so buy the HK V3.0 over the V5.5. Honestly you really think its worth the extra 100 dollars?

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
I guess there won´t be any massive advantages with the new board. I found it yesterday as well and all I thought is: "Why did they do that?! They´re confusing me"

Probably just because upgrading the number means okay your more up to date therefore more people will buy it.
Although I am pretty excited if the flying experience will change even with a bigger code which can actually fit the V3 board.

From my point of view: I am happy with my V2.1 but I am open for improvements.

BTW: The KK board already is at such a high refresh rate, that a few ESC´s can´t keep up with that. From Davids site I read that those HK SS ESC´s can´t cope with the high refresh rate and therefore shut off, which is something we don´t want. Plush´s work fine.
I guess by making those higher rates you´ll need good ESC´s too, to actually feel a difference. Let´s see what they´ll make out of it.

fred0000

i've been pondering the thought of building a quad copter, based on what i've seen i'll be sticking with the V2.1 board unless it goes out of stock for some reason (my build wont be for a while unfortunatly) the V3 board looks awesome though.

John Campbell

Since my V2.1 board arrived bad, I ordered a V3 board.. Not that much extra and will be sending my other one back for credit. Seems to be a little fast way, and an easier upgrade as well.

voipmonkey

have a look at the other thread name "another reason to love turnigy plush" if you follow the links some interesting reading on getting the hk ss esc's to work at a higher PWN and also tweaking the plush to make it better.
i have both the KK 5.5 black board and i have a v2.1 on its way (Hopefully) if i get the urge i might get a v3 for the hell of it to see if there is any difference i will let you all know.:D

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Since my V2.1 board arrived bad, I ordered a V3 board.. Not that much extra and will be sending my other one back for credit. Seems to be a little fast way, and an easier upgrade as well.

I recognized your profile pic! First comment, huh?

I would already have bought a V2.1 if they had been in stock... I got 'round $20 of HK store credit from the motor order I cancelled.

Trinom

Crazy electrician
If you look at datasheet for these microcontrollers, you will find out, that the only difference between them is the size of flash memmory. They have the same layout, the same pinout, the same instruction set.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
If you look at datasheet for these microcontrollers, you will find out, that the only difference between them is the size of flash memmory. They have the same layout, the same pinout, the same instruction set.

Exactly. Also the ATmega48PA has 12 touch channels, while the ATMega168PA and ATmega328 have 16.

I have NO IDEA what that means.

voipmonkey

I got my v2.1 board like last week. It'll probably be fine for my first tricopter.

Well mine turned up this morning building the tri will start tomorrow, going to use kk board for the tri I think hk board will be used on the quad .

Better get some motors ordered