July 2012 Director's - UPDATE

llharper

Just about everyone else has said what I'd say... Love your site and your videos. I really Like Josh and Josh. I'll take a couple of T-shirts and whatever else you got. Maybe you could raffle off some of your older planes.

Gart

The 2 Josh are the key of this show, changing it will be a bad idea, smart and funny and make me want to have fun flying, they are great!! Donation can be great, and the idea of true-view seem great too, about selling stuff, i think t-shirt, hat and a few other stuff can be cool keeping the people knowing you more and more, but will cost to keep the inventory and you need cash not inventory. More then that i will need to know what you need, i mean what a episode cost and stuff like that, i got 2 business so iam not bad finding cash to survival :)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
put a pretty woman in the T-shirt and do it similarly to RayWilliamJohnson.

You must be a professional advertiser :D

I thought about HK making an electronics kit too. And not selling it HobbyKing-type cheap, as to add a few bucks for FliteTest funding.

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
Hi Chad,
I’m an American (former buckeye) living in Berlin. Here in Germany there is a company called ÖKO. Basically they provide, “unbiased” product reviews mostly for a wide variety of consumer products and grant a license to print their logo on the product packaging with the rating. They have a simple: Good or Very Good rating system. From what I understand the manufacture submits a product for review and pays a flat fee for the testing/review. There is no grantee of a favorable rating. The cool thing about this system is not only are you able to provide funding and great content but you would also market your brand through the manufactures you’ve tested. Build page rank and bring mad traffic to your site.
Ideas to get started
1. Come up with a detailed set of parameters/standards for each product type. Figure out a way to reduce the findings to one simple rating. (1-5 stars for example) Publish a detailed explanation for your rating system for the manufactures to view as well as each model/product tested.
2. Develop a simple ratings logo (see attached example) that manufactures can post on their product pages and/or packaging. (Each rating logo should link back to your site.)
3. Share the idea with all you views. Explain the benefits and create some excitement.
4. Be extremely critical! If it’s crap call it crap. If it not a good value, let us know.

Okeo image example attached
View attachment 5264

I really like this a lot!

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
Just to clear: We are not loosing Josh and Josh.

Thank you all for the great ideas and the wonderful stories of how Flite Test inspires you.

I really like the raffle idea. I'll have to check on a way to do it legally and internationally.

tignmeg

Hi Chad and team
what if flitetest setup "FliteTrade " an R/C (aviation) ebay type webb site.
But cheaper to use , and also with online shop space to let out to venders ..and Airshow and event ticketing etc.....

what do you think ?

cheers dazza

This has been done already by the guys at rcnightmare and I'm not sure its taking off unfortunately :(
http://www.buyrcstuff.com/

crashmaniac

Chad,

there are guys over here in Australia who maybe are attached to a RC club & fly very well, who charge anywhere between

$800 -1000 to teach novices to fly RC.

what about doing something like that or workshops with Josh & Josh & the lads, limit the numbers to ease the workload, but I am sure it would work over there for you guys, perhaps you could even do workshops state to state each month, even at $150 per person per day, 20 people gets you 2500 ?
I have known photographers from here, who are very good at what they do, they advertise & get bookings & deposits on line, then travel to a destination like New York City, setup in a hotel opposite a park someplace & teach their craft :) they do it several times during a 2 month visit & come home with a stash of cash !
think about that ?

Capello1986

F550

Hey Capello1986...
I noticed you're expecting a F550 (DJI). Get it yet?
I've been flying mine for over a week now. Had the 450 before it. The 450 was actually more fun... can't describe why - but it just felt more fun. The 550 however feels more "impressive" and tends to demand my attention more. I'm more anxious flying that one than the 450 for some odd/emotional reason.

Never the less - great aircraft. I had the 450 flying FPV... looking forward to upgrading my equipment and putting it on the 550.

Yeah been flying the F550 for about 2 months now and really like it just haven't had time to update the website (offshore alot just now) all my latest video's are using it with the AeroXCraft Gopro Gimbal which I wish had a little less slop but not bad for the price I suppose.

Thinking of getting the Ecilop next but money tight but we will see.
Masrtin

bmsweb

Site Moderator
there are guys over here in Australia who maybe are attached to a RC club & fly very well, who charge anywhere between

I'm going to have to let my son know that he owes me a lot of money for teaching him ;)

TommyG

You must be a professional advertiser :D

I thought about HK making an electronics kit too. And not selling it HobbyKing-type cheap, as to add a few bucks for FliteTest funding.

:eek: No my actual title is "Business Improvement Advisor" but that has nothing to do with advertising, just cost cutting!

I did work as a sales engineer for 2 years and know what calenders were more popular at xmas time (speaking of which - I'd buy a FliteTest Calendar). Unfortunately political correctness has gotten to a ridiculous level in Australia and most of 'those' calendars have more or less disappeared. Even the Pirelli Calendar is tame these days.

SteveOBHave

Chad,

what about doing something like that or workshops with Josh & Josh & the lads, limit the numbers to ease the workload, but I am sure it would work over there for you guys, perhaps you could even do workshops state to state each month, even at $150 per person per day, 20 people gets you 2500 ?
I have known photographers from here, who are very good at what they do, they advertise & get bookings & deposits on line, then travel to a destination like New York City, setup in a hotel opposite a park someplace & teach their craft :) they do it several times during a 2 month visit & come home with a stash of cash !
think about that ?

I really like this idea as well - you know people would come just to see you guys in action and visit the Flite Test field. Have a 'Fly in' as it were.

charlies

I found out about Tim/fpvmanuals.com here.

About Sponsers: I see no harm having all sizes/ shapes. If you have a clearly stated policy of no favors to Sponsers, that is a beginning. Folks will always bitch. Print and TV have a pretty good record of separating Program from Advertisers. Be blunt.

Some version of banner ads as forums have. These ads keep them alive, tho your production costs are much greater, your 'value added' is also greater.

I do not believe you should become a 'consumer reports' evaulator, scoring anything good, better, best, fail, as a routine. Fine to do any version in any episode, but avoid pass/fail stickers/ labels, I say. You tell stories. That's what is god about FliteTest.

About Tim's idea of vendors pay you to review... danger, I say. And not necessary. As you now do, pick and choose, and tell stories (be it a review, tip, or whatever). David's demo of Nano vs non-nano Lipo is a great example: 'let's see what happens..." You COULD do a 'smack down lipo challenge'. Plus, I'm sure Tim and others will be happy to send/lend you stuff to review/ play with at no cost to you.

I think you could put very short ads into your episodes: make it short and sweet: beep ad alert under 10 second ad beep back, now.. It could be about the featured/ reviewed product, even; even if the review bombs it (HK contributor reviews often bomb a given product).

I love you, and want to see you prosper. Do not go into another business (selling 'merch' = FliteTest stuff is ok). Do what you do best.

Create an ad/sponsor policy: big or small, we love you all, you are welcome in our house, but you cannot come into the kitchen.
Charlie

Macgiver11

Well Chad! I can say that it was long over do that you will give a glance of what you where trying to do, because b4 I just thought that this place was only an other forum like the one in RCgroups, I have to say that now I can clearly understand and at the same time agree with you on the bias side of the situation! to be pretty honest I thought at the beginning that you where a company design and payed only by HK,
With a much better perspective I'll say that in my personal opinion you can start to sell small kits! and open an small store that can sell hole systems! From the beginner all the way to expert! Hell some times I spend a hole month looking for something like the retracts that Mr Blixer installed on that plane!
and I will say that the best perspective about the electronic Kits is that they were incline's more like the antenna tracker! the cheapest one on the market have to be on the 250 us may be a full page explaining how to make it! how to install and operate! Selling the Pc boards for the DIY's out there including all the parts! this will bring the geek's like me and at the same time will keep your making some people think and bring new perspectives, ideas and specially aproaching to the same problem from different perspectives.

I hope that my input is something that can give you perspective! Ho by the way, I don't see nothing wrong with t's and caps! there is nothing wrong with them! Good luck and God bless! I think you have something special, but YOU NEED A CUTE PRETTY GIRL ON THE SHOW!
Well good luck!

Yeah been flying the F550 for about 2 months now and really like it just haven't had time to update the website (offshore alot just now) all my latest video's are using it with the AeroXCraft Gopro Gimbal which I wish had a little less slop but not bad for the price I suppose.

Thinking of getting the Ecilop next but money tight but we will see.
Masrtin

Just lost it. This is the second DJI product I've lost in as many weeks. Both inflight failures. First a 450 now the 550 (both with GPS and only a week old in both cases).

I'd probably advise against DJI at this point.

casehatter

Restructure of money flow

It 's good you don't have one single sponsor so have many with the rules you apply that all products are created equally and will be judged by people on the site and the You Tube. This way both Parties win !!! So what Do you think ,Guys every where could rate you product test.

Last edited:

crashmaniac

Chad, I thought it was good that HobbyKing was a sponsor, at one stage in a couple of interviews with Anthony Hand, I thought that finally we may have been able to get through to him & correct all the problems we out here were experiencing with HK,
I thought at least you may have succeeded seeing you had close contact with him & given that none of us megar customers can ever get anyone to take notice of our requests etc. You guys could have helped make HobbyKing be the all time leader in RC supplies. it is a great supplier just needs better management & to get closer & listen more to it's customers.

Scott seems up himself abit given by his replys & claims to his designs on a couple of forum notes I've read ?

:)

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
Chad, I thought it was good that HobbyKing was a sponsor, at one stage in a couple of interviews with Anthony Hand, I thought that finally we may have been able to get through to him & correct all the problems we out here were experiencing with HK,
I thought at least you may have succeeded seeing you had close contact with him & given that none of us megar customers can ever get anyone to take notice of our requests etc. You guys could have helped make HobbyKing be the all time leader in RC supplies. it is a great supplier just needs better management & to get closer & listen more to it's customers.

Scott seems up himself abit given by his replys & claims to his designs on a couple of forum notes I've read ?

:)

I have to say that I've seen Hobby King improve a lot in two years. Their shipping and customer service is better than it was. I'm not sure it much to do with us though. Anthony is really trying to build a good company. It's just a huge endeavor, it takes time.