Liemavick's Contest build, STOL from scratch

Liemavick

Mentor
Thanks Teach, it was a bloody pain to get soldered up but came out all right. Scale size is pretty close to the plane. Since I was scaling the plane to the wheels I had, Im pleased.

Liemavick

Mentor
I got my electronics in and servos wired up. A bit of a tight fit with the single wide fuselage, but got er done.

DSCN0103.JPG
DSCN0105.JPG

Liemavick

Mentor
Thank you. Hopefully I can get out later today since Im off from work. At the moment we have a nasty cloud moving in, hopefully it will do it's thing and clear up. Typical weather for us this time of year.

6-13 weather.JPG

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Grew up in Central Florida -- don't like the weather, just wait a few minuets.

Liemavick

Mentor
exactly Dan, Florida native here so well versed in it raining across the street but not in your yard lol

Liemavick

Mentor
Well I headed off to the park since the winds were down at the house. I started setting up and the trees started dancing a bit. No biggie I thought since the sun was setting and it usually settles down then. I loaded a 7.4 2s into the STOL for its maiden and placed her on the road. Hit full throttle and she took off like a 90 y.o. running for their Geritol. Not enough power to get the air under the wings for lift. Probably for the better as the winds stayed up to where I probably would have planted her on the first turn. I ordered a 1300 3s 30c tonight for the next attempt.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
That's a shame! She looks so eager to fly . . . good luck with the bigger kick!

Liemavick

Mentor
It's all good, these minor set backs are expected when your dealing with planes that spawn from imagination instead of tried and true plans. It's certainly fun when one of your creations does take flight.

earthsciteach

The artwork is great! I think you have inspired me to put a moose on mine. Not a real moose, just an image of one. But, with all the lift my wing is going to generate, a real moose may be a possibility. A small one, anyway.

quorneng

Master member
An interesting colour scheme

Not quite sure of the function of the auxiliary brace in the wing struts. :confused:

Would it not be better to add a further brace to the point where the aft strut meets the wing to 'triangulate' the complete wing strut assembly? Or have mid point vertical struts like the full size Super Cub?

Can't wait to see a video of it flying.

Liemavick

Mentor
Q, The struts are for appearance only, no structural support is needed. In fact they are removable for flight.