Long flights with multirotor

Microguy

Hello guys!

I want a multirotor with a long flight time, and the ability to do FPV. The multirotor can be tricopter, quadcopter or hexacopter. The main focus is long flight times. I was wondering what electronics I should use, and what frame? (I can scratchbuild) I got some electronics like FPV gear, radio and reciever. I would like if the electronics was from hobbyking too, as I've been buying from them before. My budget is about $700. :)

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Your parameters are pretty straight forward. You want FPV and long flight times. However, does that also mean you don't care if you record your flight? Meaning, a card camera alone will save on weight. Either way, you want larger 'pancake' type motors. Motors that spin relatively slow ~360-650 KV spinning somewhat large and shallow pitched props. . probably in the 12 to 16" range. You want an all carbon fiber frame and round carbon fiber booms. You'll also want something like a pair of 4S 4000 mAh batteries in parallel.

If you peruse any of ENDOFDAYS threads at rcgroups, you'll eventually pick up on what is required for long flight times.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
If I can add some advice, the esc's you have chosen are way too large/heavy for your motor/prop choice from the specs I see, plus those multistar esc's are junk IMHO. you would do much better with some F20A's flashed with SimonK or BLHeli. You could also save a little more weight by going with a Naze 32, Flip Pro, CC3D flight controller. Increased efficiency and decreased weight equals higher flight times.

Getting the most efficient setup takes bench testing and trial and error. I'm not saying the setup you have chosen won't be efficient (as I have not tried it myself) but it is wise to follow someone else's already proven setup if this is your first try. Please disregard if you already have :)

Lastly, can I ask about your previous Multirotor experience? This is a rather big project if you are new to multirotors and can put you off very easily with the expensive crashes that happen during the learning phase. Not meaning to put you off the project, I just don't want you to get frustrated if you are new to the hobby.

Microguy

Well, I'm not going for the most efficient setup in the world, but I want long flight times, which would be good when I'm flying on Mountains or other places far away from a Power Source. Changing ESCs is probably a good idea. 45A is probably overkill.

Also I'm going to have a FPV setup with a GoPRO, which will add some weight.

And about my multirotor experience, I have been flying helicopters and multirotors for a while. I got my first helicopter when I was 7, and I know how it is to crash. :)

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
All good Microguy. I just had to check because there are a few who come here with no experience and want to build a monster for their first multi. We just don't like to see things end in tears.

Possibly try searching the net for some thrust tests on the motor you are choosing. That may help point you towards the best voltage and prop setup to get the results you require.