Making Power Pods "pretty"

PoorManRC

Master member
I'm going to need Batteries!!! I've only got Ground Vehicle Batteries, WAY too heavy to lift! Forgot all about that. I've got to figure out how to buy Batteries in the 1400-2200 mAh Range.

I'm getting an "A" Pack Sized Motor/ESC Combo, so my first Build will be something of a "2 Sheet" Build!!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I'm going to need Batteries!!! I've only got Ground Vehicle Batteries, WAY too heavy to lift! Forgot all about that. I've got to figure out how to buy Batteries in the 1400-2200 mAh Range.

I'm getting an "A" Pack Sized Motor/ESC Combo, so my first Build will be something of a "2 Sheet" Build!!
Just another suggestion that I guess that many will disagree with!

Build something with an undercarriage. That way you can do ground runs to get the feel of the Tx and the planes rudder response and when ready you can do straight line hops to learn a little about the elevator and perhaps ailerons if fitted. Eventually you progress to rather high straight line flight. When you can get the plane to fly straight and gain height you can then GENTLY begin to control it turning.

Sort of a modern version of the WWI practice of getting new pilots to try to fly penguins first before moving onto actual flying of a full plane.

Just a thought but many seem to have issues with being able to hand launch effectively as well as having one hand off of the transmitter when the planes speed is at its slowest!

Have fun!

d8veh

Elite member
Hobbyking is a good place to get batteries. They have a large range and have been a premium supplier for as long as I can remember.

If you buy an FT speed-build kit, get some sheets of foam at the same time. I use the kits as templates to build from sheets, so that I can make as many planes as I want. that can be important in the beginning when you crash a lot. Thankfully, I've never crashed an FT plane yet, despite doing a lot of dodgy flying close to the ground when I practice my 3D stuff.

PoorManRC

Master member
Now THAT'S something I can get behind!!
Nobody has ever THROWN me into the Air...
I've already planned that everything I build will have Landing Gear. Tricycle Landing Gear!!! Besides the fact that I like that better, the Nose Gear means LESS Prop damage!!!

..... well, except for nose plants!!!!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The reason I suggested the path to solo as above is that we tried it with an existing pilot, (loves to fly but it is quite expensive). He arrived with a trike plane (Apprentice?) with ASX. We got him to try the "Penguin" approach. He did have a few rough landings initially but in a matter of a few months only he was flying so well that he took up his Durafly Spitfire for its maiden and a few more flights last weekend. He did get an experienced pilot set it up for him and test fly it first but he now flies it as well as anybody else,

I am sure he will show us all up in a few more months as his confidence grows!

have fun!

PoorManRC

Master member
Hobbyking is a good place to get batteries. They have a large range and have been a premium supplier for as long as I can remember.

If you buy an FT speed-build kit, get some sheets of foam at the same time. I use the kits as templates to build from sheets, so that I can make as many planes as I want. that can be important in the beginning when you crash a lot. Thankfully, I've never crashed an FT plane yet, despite doing a lot of dodgy flying close to the ground when I practice my 3D stuff.

I can't afford a Speed Build Kit..... I used Hobbyking, but US Shipping only. They've been good to me with Crawler parts.... I'll give them a look.

And, I've already got 8 sheets of Adams DTFB!!!

kilroy07

Legendary member
Also remember that "Black (fill in with relevant day here)" is almost upon us, I'm sure someone will have a killer sale on batteries somewhere.
(Last year was it, Hobby King had .01 props! I bought so many, it cost $40 to ship them to me!!) :ROFLMAO:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Wherever you chose to purchase your batteries, you appear to live in a rather warm place, (especially in summer), so I recommend that you keep your batteries cool and try to never overheat them in flight. This alone will increase the life of your batteries immensely. I do not have a great deal of cash to spare and I fly over 20 planes regularly. my purchases of batteries, (replacements), is down to one or two every 3 months only.

I refrigerate my batteries after flight and therefore before charging. I also store my batteries in the refrigerator since I lost almost all of my batteries during a summer heatwave. (They were just sitting on the shelf near my planes).

Others may disagree but my bank balance is the proof!

have fun!

PoorManRC

Master member
Wherever you chose to purchase your batteries, you appear to live in a rather warm place, (especially in summer), so I recommend that you keep your batteries cool and try to never overheat them in flight. This alone will increase the life of your batteries immensely. I do not have a great deal of cash to spare and I fly over 20 planes regularly. my purchases of batteries, (replacements), is down to one or two every 3 months only.

I refrigerate my batteries after flight and therefore before charging. I also store my batteries in the refrigerator since I lost almost all of my batteries during a summer heatwave. (They were just sitting on the shelf near my planes).

Others may disagree but my bank balance is the proof!
have fun!

Already have years of experience, keeping Batteries cool!! So yeah, part of the plan...
Living here requires Certain necessary modifications to most everything... We have NO soft grass, or even soft Ground. Landing Gear is an absolute MUST!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The TT is great as a tail dragger but if you definitely require nose wheel steering it can be done totally within a slightly lengthened power pod. See below pics:
SUNP0019.JPG
SUNP0009.JPG

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I will make this post the last for a while as I do not want to hog your attention and also to allow you to get the ideas and opinions of others.

Sadly wheels are still very expensive for what I believe is their real value. I have built planes where the wheels and undercarriage were the most expensive parts, (Motor and Batteries included). As I observed many failed hand launches, (and been responsible for a few) I looked for an alternative.

See the thread: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/the-best-20-i-invested.53587/

I made mine out of scrap all except for the cord. It does use a treadle to release but I am sure that will be no issue for you! The club to which I belong now has more than 6 members who own and use one regularly.

have fun!

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Sorry I double pasted the link. I should remember to wear my glasses! Anyway original post corrected so link functions properly.

Have fun!

whit

Also, what circle would fit around the Pod, so I can make a Cowling over the Motors??

To answer your question - without getting into giving advice . . . primarily because most of these folks have probably forgotten more than I'll ever know about building and flying model airplanes - it looks like 2.7" is the smallest circle that can be circumscribed around the standard-sized power pod centered on the motor shaft.

Attachments

• Power Pod, Front View, Rev -.pdf
    5.7 KB · Views: 0