Blackout mini H quad build

jipp

so what is the normal cause when a ESC catches on fire? iv read some say its because there is no protection under it, so it shorts out on the arm.. iv read, well the foam catches on fire, and poof.. so whats the skinny on ESC catching on fire? is it from over heating? short from a broken solder joint from a crash? also, if you were to mount ESC on the bottom plate of a carbon frame.. would you use double stick tape to hold them in place and protect while you solder them up? along with a zip tye. on my next build i want to mount the ESC inside for protection.
chris.

zenguerilla

Sorry guys... about the 'patina put-down'. I'm sure many have taken liking to textured build up ... but, my real concern is extra weight. :)

Just keeding... but, in a bit more seriousness, I think being able to easily clean while it is still damp is key, compared to trying once it has dried completely. If things are put together with something like that in mind, it might work pretty well, if that is what you find on your quad after every flight and would prefer it to be clean.

Another thing that could be done in combination is a light spritz of something like silicon spray-before, then use, and steam off after use - as a release agent, similar to car wax with bugs etc. from driving and that type of thing. This might also work to help repel water and so on, as it should be non-conductive.

I've also thought of using velcro - based covers for esc's and that sort of thing, where they can be removed, 'breathe' and cool better, etc.

Last edited:

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
Sorry guys... about the 'patina put-down'. I'm sure many have taken liking to textured build up ... but, my real concern is extra weight. :)

Just keeding... but, in a bit more seriousness, I think being able to easily clean while it is still damp is key, compared to trying once it has dried completely. If things are put together with something like that in mind, it might work pretty well, if that is what you find on your quad after every flight and would prefer it to be clean.

Another thing that could be done in combination is a light spritz of something like silicon spray-before, then use, and steam off after use - as a release agent, similar to car wax with bugs etc. from driving and that type of thing. This might also work to help repel water and so on, as it should be non-conductive.

I've also thought of using velcro - based covers for esc's and that sort of thing, where they can be removed, 'breathe' and cool better, etc.

I didn't see any kind of put-down so stop worrying :D

I've got a nice silicone conformal I'm going to be using on my escs once I finally can sit down to build again...

http://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Silicone-Conformal-Coating/dp/B004SPJOKK

tested it out just to see how it coats, and I dig it. it has a very low surface tension so it wicks into cracks and crevices more like an oil based paint would, and you can either leave it super thin or build it up in multiple coats (does take a while to dry).

because of the surface tension, all you have to do is get a bit on a small brush and run it across the component... doesn't blob up like liquid tape.

jipp

I didn't see any kind of put-down so stop worrying :D

I've got a nice silicone conformal I'm going to be using on my escs once I finally can sit down to build again...

http://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Silicone-Conformal-Coating/dp/B004SPJOKK

tested it out just to see how it coats, and I dig it. it has a very low surface tension so it wicks into cracks and crevices more like an oil based paint would, and you can either leave it super thin or build it up in multiple coats (does take a while to dry).

because of the surface tension, all you have to do is get a bit on a small brush and run it across the component... doesn't blob up like liquid tape.

so you can use this instead of making a mess with liquid tape or something to protect from shorts, etc..

if so ill be buying some. i think this product some denature alcohol would clean it off if you had to re-solder.. and then put this on for a clean protection against shorts/DUST. ( i think you can remove it with spirits.. the reviews are sorta spars)

after some research it may work.. seems its more for water etc.. than dust.. but if it can block water i do not see why it could not deflect dist. but for all i know it may act a magnet for dust causing problems.. i guess the only way i will find out is to try it.. so i will order some.. thanks for throwing out the name of
i will be sure to give ya a desert environment review of it. as it seems im gonna have to take my fpv camera out of its protective box. so i was originally just gonna use some kind of plastic dip to protect it... but this seems like a better idea.
chris,.

Last edited:

jipp

do you need any special paint to paint carbon fiber?

ill buy a couple of cans of different brand names of rattle cans... and i will have finally found a use for them stupid carbon fiber triangle feet the zmr 250 comes with.. to test paint to see which one will stick to it. much better than using the frame it self for a test bed.
chris.

Last edited:

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
I had a crash so hard that it somehow stripped out the servo that was holding my FPV camera in place.

I removed the servo. I thought the clean area where the servo has been the whole time was funny.

Since I haven't used the servo to actually adjust the camera for a while, I decided to just mount it tilted. I cut some fuel tubing to the length that would make the angle I want (as much as I can get without the top plate in view) and ran a zip tie through the tubing to secure the camera to the camera plate.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Your copter reminds me of my motorcycle (and me) after 800 miles on the highway going to AZ.

It's me right down to the one clean spot. :)

I couldn't get zip ties to fit through the holes on my board cam. Did you ream the holes out a bit?

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
Your copter reminds me of my motorcycle (and me) after 800 miles on the highway going to AZ.

It's me right down to the one clean spot. :)

I couldn't get zip ties to fit through the holes on my board cam. Did you ream the holes out a bit?

the little 4" ones from fry's do the trick, they're only about 2-3mm wide.