Solved Motor now run's

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Okay this is an interesting one. Having taken the dubious AR7000 out of the Mustang and replaced it with a new FRsky X8R. I was deliberating what I should do with the AR7000 :unsure:, then the thought crossed my mind. Why not put it in the Vampire, get it all set up tonight on my transmitter then when I get another decent receiver I just swap the receiver setting on my Transmitter.
As with the Mustang all the wires where tied again, just like a bunch of Christmas tree lights left over from the previous year (a right tangle of wires). I eventually fathomed out everything including the steerable nose wheel (stumped me for a bit) I forgot about that.
This is where the problem occurred, I don't have a 4s battery suitable to power this plane at the moment. So I brought a 3s 2200mAh 30c Lipo, the plan being just to use it for setting up and testing.
It worked fine, I got the Ailerons, elevator, steerable nose wheel and retracts all working and in the correct direction's. However, when it came to running the EDF motor "NOTHING". The ESC went through its sequence but as soon as I armed the motor I got no engagement of the motor.
I decided to re-calibrate the ESC, starting the sequence with the throttle on full and connecting the battery to the ESC/receiver. The beep sequence started as normal, but I noticed there where 4 beeps, just before the long beep and throttle stick reset.
The 4 beeps normally signifies a 4s battery, if the ESC see's a 3s battery then there are 3 beeps etc etc.
Needless to say there was no change, the motor stayed stationary so back to square one.

I can't seem to get my head around the issue tonight, probably just over tired. I can only assume the ESC stopping the motor from starting because its expecting a 4S ? maybe its some kind of voltage limiting function. I am aware you can program ESC's with specific functions like brakes, or specific battery size 3s,4s etc but thought by doing a re-calibration that would reset it to a default setting ?
The ESC is also buried and secured below the battery tray with cable ties so I cant get to it easily. The only 4s batteries I have are 5000mAh with XT90 connections so cant even try them out :mad: either.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is happening or had a similar experience ?

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Okay this is an interesting one. Having taken the dubious AR7000 out of the Mustang and replaced it with a new FRsky X8R. I was deliberating what I should do with the AR7000 :unsure:, then the thought crossed my mind. Why not put it in the Vampire, get it all set up tonight on my transmitter then when I get another decent receiver I just swap the receiver setting on my Transmitter.
As with the Mustang all the wires where tied again, just like a bunch of Christmas tree lights left over from the previous year (a right tangle of wires). I eventually fathomed out everything including the steerable nose wheel (stumped me for a bit) I forgot about that.
This is where the problem occurred, I don't have a 4s battery suitable to power this plane at the moment. So I brought a 3s 2200mAh 30c Lipo, the plan being just to use it for setting up and testing.
It worked fine, I got the Ailerons, elevator, steerable nose wheel and retracts all working and in the correct direction's. However, when it came to running the EDF motor "NOTHING". The ESC went through its sequence but as soon as I armed the motor I got no engagement of the motor.
I decided to re-calibrate the ESC, starting the sequence with the throttle on full and connecting the battery to the ESC/receiver. The beep sequence started as normal, but I noticed there where 4 beeps, just before the long beep and throttle stick reset.
The 4 beeps normally signifies a 4s battery, if the ESC see's a 3s battery then there are 3 beeps etc etc.
Needless to say there was no change, the motor stayed stationary so back to square one.

I can't seem to get my head around the issue tonight, probably just over tired. I can only assume the ESC stopping the motor from starting because its expecting a 4S ? maybe its some kind of voltage limiting function. I am aware you can program ESC's with specific functions like brakes, or specific battery size 3s,4s etc but thought by doing a re-calibration that would reset it to a default setting ?
The ESC is also buried and secured below the battery tray with cable ties so I cant get to it easily. The only 4s batteries I have are 5000mAh with XT90 connections so cant even try them out :mad: either.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is happening or had a similar experience ?
I actually might have a potential solution. I fortunately brought all my electrical gear with me last night (soldering iron, connectors etc) and managed to find one XT90 connector. So I have made up a conversion lead from XT60 to XT90, now when I get up later today I can try out one of my 4s 5000mAh batteries to see if the voltage is the issue or something more serious :eek:

Last edited:

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I sorted it when I got up today, the EDF is now running fine now even with a 3s battery. It turned out to be a ESC/throttle calibration issue.
When I normally calibrate a new ESC with the throttle stick on the transmitter. I turn on the transmitter and arm the motor and set the throttle stick to max.
I then connect the lipo to the ESC and you hear 2 distinct beeps and a delay, I then move the stick back to zero and hear 3 or 4 beeps which signifies the number of battery cells followed by a longer tone and its set (y):).
With this ESC it didn't beep twice and delay, it was beeping 4 times and a long delay, so I was was waiting for the fourth beep before returning the throttle stick to zero. That's all it needed to screw up the calibration sequence.
So this morning (actually lunch when I finally got up), I tried again but this time I didn't wait for the long delay after the 4 beeps. I let it beep twice and moved the throttle immediately to zero, hey presto it worked :eek:(y):unsure:.
Weird I have never had an ESC set up sequence like that before, anyway its sorted now so its another gem of knowledge for the mind palace.