Multicopter Configuration Guide

unixrevolution

Multicopter Crash Expert
At the suggestion of one of the mods, I am splitting up my previous request thread.

The meat of this one is this: There doesn't seem to exist anywhere a good guide to the differences, advantages, disadvantages, and best uses of the various kinds of multicopter configurations. I am considering building a multi of my own for Aerial Photography/FPV. I am debating the various layouts, though the Y-6 is my current favorite because it provides motor redundancy and folds.

So, how about a multicopter layout guide? This would be a great chance to show off the ElectroHub's versatility too ;)

Layout suggestions:

Tri-copters:
Y 3 (Like the Windestal Tricopter)
T 3

Quadcopters:

X4 (Pretty much all of the current quads, with some exceptions)
I4 (Don't know of any of these)
H4 (The major competitor to the X-style quad)
Y4 (A Y-shape with double-motors on the tailboom)

Hexacopters

Standard Hex
+ Hex (With the two orthogonal motors positioned front and back)
X-6 (A quad with two extras on the sides)
H-6
Y-6 (Three booms, two motors, one CCW the other CW)

Octocopters

Standard Octo
X-8 (Four booms, two motors per boom, one CCW, the other CW)
H-8
V-8 (An H-8 with the booms diverging. Facing the camera to the diverging end allows your camera to tilt down *and* up without obstruction from the blades.)

I think that's all the layouts I've heard mention of. It'd be nice to see them all at least mentioned, with the most popular (Especially the Y-6, the one I'm considering) actually tested.

What do you all think?

unixrevolution

Multicopter Crash Expert
Nobody? I figured at least some of the seasoned multirotor guys would have stopped by to at least tell me I was a newb. :p

crash bandicoot

I like seasoning, but I wouldn't consider myself seasoned. One thing I will tell you is that for the most part, there are not many practical differences between the various types of multi rotor. If you watch an older episode, I think it's a viewer questions episode with David V and Josh B, they explain how a quad and tricopter fly differently. But all the other configurations are basically a way to get more motors on a frame to to more lifting. The only thing about a Hex is that they are a little more stable, but control boards are so good now that it isn't a huge deal anymore.

Another thing to remember is that a Y-6 has two motors on each, but if a motor goes on one of them, I'm not sure if you will be able to land it. When motors go on any multirotor, it usually ends in a crash.

I will give you this explanation of layouts though from what I can remember on the show.
1. Tricopter, Josh B and David V say they like the feel of it more than a quad
2. Quad, easy to build, easy to program, easy to find frames, reliable
3. Hex, can lift alot, and usually used with cameras and a gimble
4. Most other stuff is someone just making something for heavy lifting or for fun. It is also more complicated to find a board for an octo or a T-6, t

unixrevolution

Multicopter Crash Expert
I'm not seasoned enough to tell you you are a newb. But, I've written some information on frames in the Beginners Guide.

Thanks for your insight, and for the article, I'm reading now :)

I like seasoning, but I wouldn't consider myself seasoned. One thing I will tell you is that for the most part, there are not many practical differences between the various types of multi rotor. If you watch an older episode, I think it's a viewer questions episode with David V and Josh B, they explain how a quad and tricopter fly differently. But all the other configurations are basically a way to get more motors on a frame to to more lifting. The only thing about a Hex is that they are a little more stable, but control boards are so good now that it isn't a huge deal anymore.

Another thing to remember is that a Y-6 has two motors on each, but if a motor goes on one of them, I'm not sure if you will be able to land it. When motors go on any multirotor, it usually ends in a crash.

I will give you this explanation of layouts though from what I can remember on the show.
1. Tricopter, Josh B and David V say they like the feel of it more than a quad
2. Quad, easy to build, easy to program, easy to find frames, reliable
3. Hex, can lift alot, and usually used with cameras and a gimble
4. Most other stuff is someone just making something for heavy lifting or for fun. It is also more complicated to find a board for an octo or a T-6, t

I had heard that most variants of the Hex and Octocopter (the standard variants, the X-8, and Y-6) had motor redundancy and could actually survive losing a motor/prop and land. I am certainly not qualified to say either way. Thanks for the information!

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
You will see greater efficiency and longer flight times if you do NOT stack motors...i.e. Y6 will not be as efficient as a straight Hexacopter. The main thing to focus on is function over "Cool Factor" unless a lot of cash is available and multiple craft are planned.

Thurmond

unixrevolution

Multicopter Crash Expert
You will see greater efficiency and longer flight times if you do NOT stack motors...i.e. Y6 will not be as efficient as a straight Hexacopter. The main thing to focus on is function over "Cool Factor" unless a lot of cash is available and multiple craft are planned.

Thurmond

That is very true...there are always efficiency losses with coaxial rotors, as you stated. But the Y-6 appeals to me because it has good lift capacity, better than a tri or quad, and it is much smaller than a standard hex, and folds. Most Hex-copters don't fold very well and seem like they'd be an absolute nightmare to transport, especially for a guy like me who primarily drives a Jeep and a Mustang.

Hex, or near-Hexcopter lift capacity, but folds like a tricopter, and no mucking about with a tail servo. That's what I like about it. Also unlike a quad or standard hex, when you spin up one set and spin down the other set of rotors to do a yaw movement, the lift is still evenly distributed.

Again, I'm a bench racer and armchair Hex pilot, my experience with my own quads is still limited, but I am learning and trying to learn as much as I can before I try to even pick up a screwdriver to start assembling anything.

Thanks for the information, and don't worry; I'm not thinking cool factor, I'm thinking practical camera platform. I just prioritize things a bit differently than some people, I guess :)

unixrevolution

Multicopter Crash Expert
Jeep and Lincoln Continental for me! ;)

Thurmond

What year continental?

I do have a classic Thunderbird, but I don't think I'll be doing any copter-toting in that. Then again, if I wanted to do aerial coverage of car shows, I'd kind of have to, so that's something else to think about fitting my Whatever-copter into.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
What year continental?

I do have a classic Thunderbird, but I don't think I'll be doing any copter-toting in that. Then again, if I wanted to do aerial coverage of car shows, I'd kind of have to, so that's something else to think about fitting my Whatever-copter into.

2001 Limited Edition. Got it a couple of years ago cheap when a friend died who owned it. 75,000 original miles. 25 mpg average. 32 Valve 8 cylinder engine.

I just haul my flying apparatus out of my house and I am at the flying field. ;)

Thurmond