MultiRotor project, please help!

jipp

hey man i was looking for tutorials for my taranis and i found this guys youtube page.. im hooked.. he has so many good videos on RC..

i recommend you check him out. it will be a good boot camp for you..

here is a good place to start.

im starting his taranis boot camp now.. im probably gonna get a head of info over load by lunch time. LOL

chris.

I found that massively helpful! Now i know roughly what everyone is on about with the radio transmitter and receiver. I'm definitely going to watch more of his videos now to learn more. Thanks. :D

jipp

hey man glad that video help. it sure has help me.. he has so many videos on all kind of RC topic.. from FPV to my taranis radio ( i have so much to learn.. its gonna take me a while to figure this thing out ), to the basic.. to even more advance stuff. i found the jackpot.. i like his teaching style..

it is pretty cool resource.

as for flight time the bigger teh quad the longer they usually are.. for example a 450 size quad can get a 18 mini flight with the right battery/motor.. so i guess you need to be a little more detail in what you want for your first quad to learn to fly with.. i personally would go with a small quad before going to a 680 AP size quad.. but that is just me.
chris.

Last edited:
I have to say, I like the idea of being able to fly for extended periods of time as well as being able to attach heavy loads both for this project and for future projects. I'd like something that can be used for professional aerial photography. So it might have to be quite large. I'm more than fine with buying a smaller craft and working my way up the ladder whilst I build the big hexacopter.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Ok here's what I've come up with just to see what is possible. I've used components you can get at Hobbyking because I wanted to keep the price low. Basically I took a look at large diameter, low KV motors with large props and a frame that could hold it all. So with that in mind, here is the best setup I could get on eCalc:

HeavyLiftECalc.jpg

HeavyLiftSetup.jpg

So with this setup you can get roughly 20 mins hover time with 800g worth of frame and a 1200g payload. Switching the battery to a 6S 10000mAh 15/30C and taking off the payload it will get about 30mins of hover. Keep in mind that ecalc is not guaranteed, but good for getting a rough approximation.

Total setup is under $770 USD, but does not include battery charger, lipo bag, small items such as bolts or wiring, and don't forget shipping. MS is Multistar , the props are generic 13x5.5 T Syle, and the ESCs are generic 6S rated 30a. To be honest this is something I would love to build if I had the budget :p This is a pretty professional level build, and I'm cautious suggesting it to a beginner, but at the very least it gives you an idea of what's possible.

Last edited:
You, Sir, are a legend! :applause: I would have had no idea how to do that!

As this is a project that I intend to spread out over the course of this year, the money and training will be spread out too. Don't worry about the possibility of me building this and flying it untrained, I'm not planning on flying this until I'm confident I won't lose it.

I'm sure I'll still need a load of advice but this has saved me a ton of time so thank you!

Hopefully I can finish this project successfully. I'll keep you posted.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Glad I can help out. It's good practice for me doing theoretical builds so that when the day comes to actually build one I can configure a setup I really like. Now you have a good baseline for what you may end up with. Keep your eyes open for similar sized builds by other people. This hobby progresses extremely quickly and what was once the greatest can become obsolete within months. Keep up the learning and know that this forum can answer any (well most) of the questions you have.

Ok, the money is finally here! What should I buy to start off this project with?
I was thinking I should get the radio and the module alongside the nano quad to start practicing with both

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Getting the radio and nanoQX is definitely a good starting point. The one problem is that the Frsky module I recommended will not bind to the receiver in the nanoQX. You could fly the nanoQX with the radio if you get the OrangeRX module.Otherwise you can get the ready-to-fly version of the nanoQX, but the TX that comes with it is very basic.

Ok, is the orange module as good as the FrSky in the other aspects? Also, if I buy the rtf version, can i still bind it to the orange module?

I have to say, getting this nano qx has really taught me a lot. Much more difficult than a standard helicopter. Gradually learning but expert mode is still a bit out of my league. Thanks for the recommendation.