MultiRotor project, please help!

Lifting power is around 3500g.
A Y6 with the rail system is an OK choice, but keep in mind that the more "arms" you have on your multirotor, the more stable it will be. A regular Hex (with six arms) is more stable than a Y6 (with three arms), even though they have the same number of motors. It depends on the type of payload that you want to carry. If it's hard-mounted (screwed, taped, nailed, etc.), you can use a Y6. If it's attached in a way that allows it to swing back and forth, a Hex is highly recommended. Also, if you want more stability, consider using longer booms.

Can you explain in detail the rules of the contest/challenge that you are taking part in?
That would make assisting you a lot easier :)
For example, if fixed-wing aircraft are allowed, you could get better efficiency and flight time.

It has to be able to lift the payload and fly around. As long as possible. The payload would be attached to the frame. No size limit, but i would like to keep the cost reasonable. What sort of vehicle should i be looking at? I don't mind spending a bit more than first planned.

Hi, I've pretty much settled on the standard hex layout now with the help of Snarls. It's not a competition so there are no rules as such but my design does require it to hover.

jipp

yeah the nano is a great teaching tool.. keep at it. i fly mine everyday about and i can cruise around ina bedroom size room with a bunch of book cases, chairs, and other objects and iv gotten good enough i can fly around this room with out crashing, nose in, nose out, side to side.. when i first started i would crash just trying to hover. keep at it.. and i recommend you keep in hard mode regardless yeah you will crash but you will learn so much quicker.. but that is just what i was told to do so i always make sure i fly in the red light. rock on.

chris.

yeah the nano is a great teaching tool.. keep at it. i fly mine everyday about and i can cruise around ina bedroom size room with a bunch of book cases, chairs, and other objects and iv gotten good enough i can fly around this room with out crashing, nose in, nose out, side to side.. when i first started i would crash just trying to hover. keep at it.. and i recommend you keep in hard mode regardless yeah you will crash but you will learn so much quicker.. but that is just what i was told to do so i always make sure i fly in the red light. rock on.

chris.

Brilliant little thing. I experimented with the hard mode today, took some getting used to but i have basic hovering nailed now, i made some semi successful flips. I can see how useful it is now. Red mode all the way from now on. Let's hope i don't need another new motor (already killed one).

jipp

Brilliant little thing. I experimented with the hard mode today, took some getting used to but i have basic hovering nailed now, i made some semi successful flips. I can see how useful it is now. Red mode all the way from now on. Let's hope i don't need another new motor (already killed one).

yeah man, i can relate im on my second rebuild of my nano.. had to replace motors/props once going on my second time.. once you start feeling like you lack power its either your battery, or the motors need to replace ( as the motors start to wear out, they lose power.. we need micro brushless motors heh )

good to hear you will keep ot in the red.. it really will pay off in the long run.. when you go to AP, and have FC auto level etc on you will be a pro and if something does go wrong you will have the skill to save the craft.. unlike them guys who just buy a DJi quad and use all the robot functions which are nice for good photo's etc.. but man if they go wrong i bet they crash and burn.

also i recommend the 180mah battery's.. the stock 120mah suck..

chris.

Last edited:
Here's the list
Capture.JPG

I'm not sue if all of these parts will go together to make what I'm after so I could really use some help fro somebody that knows what they're doing.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Looks like a good list of the major items. The one problem I see is with the ESCs. The ones you have listed are only rated up to 4s. Unfortunately I do not know of any 6s rated ESCs available in the UK warehouse. If you can make a separate interantional order you might want to check out this ESC and this ESC. You can also try finding other sources close to you.

Some extra notes: If you want carbon props instead of wood ones you can check out this pair and this pair. Also if you are not confident in soldering the six ESCs together in a harness then I suggest you look into buying a power distribution board. You are using a very large battery so even the 80W charger will have to charge it at a low rate. So expect a full charging to take 4-5 hours at best. Lastly think of the little things that you may not already have, such as heat shrink, extra wires, screws, GPS mast, velcro, etc.

Sounds like it's going to be a fun build!

OK, so this has been a long time coming but I thought you guys might want to know what my project actually was. I've now finished although I ended up not building a Multirotor to carry it. The project was for my engineering course at college and I decided to make a floodlight attachment for a drone. The applications for a device like this would be for Police and S&R as well as the civilian film making/photography industries. Not sure how many people have done it before but it was a fun project. The final weight was 1.45Kg but this included some componentry that would normally be attached to a drone anyway such as the LiPo and the receiver. I haven't been able to measure the exact range of the light but its pretty darn bright. I'll attach some pictures in the next post and I'd love to see if any of you have questions.
Adam