Need Opinions on Twin Engine Practicality

Hello all, once again we come to you for advice. So here it is: we have two HexTronik 24g 1300kv motors (from the FT Swappables) and have always wanted to build a twin. We have servos, RX's, programmable radio's, build experience, electronics knowledge and of course the FT video's on the subject but we need to know if we could actually build a twin engine plane using these motors (preferably a cruiser). What scale should it be built? Thanks in advance for you suggestions,

Troop 17 Aviation Group

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
The Cessna Skymaster I designed can be a twin engine with a push/pull configuration. I've only flown it with a single 1300kv motor using an 8x4 prop with a 3S battery. So the design as is would work great with two 24g HexTronik motors. But you don't get the differential thrust with the Skymaster.

Last edited:

Raptortech

Foam Addict
With that power setup, I'd shoot for a wingspan of around 35 inches. Obviously that number is extremely dependent on the type of plane you're building, but I'm assuming you're aspect ratio will be pretty standard. The FT Old Fogey with motors under the wings might fit the bill. If you wanted to build an FT cruiser, I'd say 80-85% is a safe bet. You will probably benefit from keeping the build light, and making that undercambered wingtip a bit larger. I think you might enjoy a scratch build more though!

Thanks for the suggestions, I can't wait to start building! (If anyone else on the forum has suggestions for this build please let us know, we will be checking this thread periodically).

Troop 17 Aviation Group