nnA-10 - design, build, and review log

Blackbeltrrf

I was just checking the build and all the electronic requirements and just noticed I made somewhat of a mistake on my ordering. I am going with the basic build and the motors I ordered and just got in are from Hobby Partz..( Dynam Motor ESC Combo 60P-DY-1043-MotorESCCombo BM2815D-KV4000+40A ESC 64MM EDF Jets) Will these be fine or should I order another set?

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
The motor you have will be just fine. I see you have 3000mah batterys. Are the 3 or 4s. Both will work fine with the motors and 5 blade fans im just thinking about your weight and balance

Jaxx

I was just checking the build and all the electronic requirements and just noticed I made somewhat of a mistake on my ordering. I am going with the basic build and the motors I ordered and just got in are from Hobby Partz..( Dynam Motor ESC Combo 60P-DY-1043-MotorESCCombo BM2815D-KV4000+40A ESC 64MM EDF Jets) Will these be fine or should I order another set?

Did they actually have those in stock? You must have purchased the last 2.

Blackbeltrrf

The motor you have will be just fine. I see you have 3000mah batterys. Are the 3 or 4s. Both will work fine with the motors and 5 blade fans im just thinking about your weight and balance

The batteries are 3s 3,000mah. As far as the motors working I am glad of that because I really didn't want to get another set. TYVM for the input.

jayz 84

The batteries are 3s 3,000mah. As far as the motors working I am glad of that because I really didn't want to get another set. TYVM for the input.

Ok. Yeah you should definitely have no power issues with your setup. Youll be on the light side so esc placement is going to take some figuring out. They'll probably end up just on the wing leading edge so make sure you have some wire leads. Balance plays a big roll in this build so you have no battery placement issues. Your setup placement should be close to what nic had setup for his first build. But your esc might end up a little aft from his due to his edf units being heavier.
Get with nic on his setup placement to give you some pre planing

Blackbeltrrf

Do you think I could build this with the speed wing with the electronics I posted earlier in case I want to upgrade the power later?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
You can definitely do that. The speedwing will raise your stall speed so you'll have to fly a little faster. The setup you're running would be fine. Just one thing to note though, upgrading your EDFs wouldn't be an easy task on this build. The nacelles aren't removable, so I'm not sure how realistic upgrading later would be.

Blackbeltrrf

The build has started. Here are the beginnings of the A10
Had to post the first cuts
IMG_1665.JPG
Laying out the Retracts to determine a plan of attack
IMG_1666.JPG
Working on the base structure of wing and gear
IMG_1667.JPG
IMG_1668.JPG
IMG_1669.JPG
IMG_1670.JPG
More support for the gear and Spar
IMG_1671.JPG
IMG_1673.JPG
IMG_1674.JPG
IMG_1675.JPG
Spar and gear mounting base all in and ready for servo's and folding
IMG_1676.JPG

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Nice! I think your extra support will be just fine. I can't see that having any strength issues.

Blackbeltrrf

Nice! I think your extra support will be just fine. I can't see that having any strength issues.
Thanks for the input Nic. Got the wing mostly completed tonight.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Quick look to see how gear will look.
It was right here I realized I should have ran my gear wires in wing. :(. Oh well I will figure out how to snake something in tomorrow night. Open to any suggestions to help stupidity here.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Blackbeltrrf

I can't tell from the photos, did you do your trailing edge bevels?

Yes I did. Do you see something amiss? I actually got my aerilons all hinged up and attached tonight. I also got the gear wires snaked through the wing as well. In case you ever wanted to use this trick what I ended up doing was to tape a small magnet to the end of the cable connector then put it in the wing and then took a larger neo magnet that is pretty strong and pulled it through from the outside. Of course it goes without saying that it would have been easier to do this before I closed the wing up :) I should be starting on the fuselage tomorrow evening. I hope I don't have a major issue with getting my front gear in there and still have room for battery.

Do you think I will have a CG issue when considering the gear weight? Maybe need to move battery back? Will there be room to do this?

jayz 84

Taking a look at your wing build pix i can see why nic questioned your wing bevels on the trailing edges. They still look two sheets foam thick. And also noticed you desided on the speedwing it looks like. The speed wing trailing edges with all the bevel work should come to a sharp point.
Now if your worried about battery placement you can always op for my hatch mod which i applied to my second build. Worked very nice. See how it looks here http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...and-review-log&p=201971&viewfull=1#post201971

Blackbeltrrf

Taking a look at your wing build pix i can see why nic questioned your wing bevels on the trailing edges. They still look two sheets foam thick. And also noticed you desided on the speedwing it looks like. The speed wing trailing edges with all the bevel work should come to a sharp point.
Now if your worried about battery placement you can always op for my hatch mod which i applied to my second build. Worked very nice. See how it looks here http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...and-review-log&p=201971&viewfull=1#post201971

Thnx Jayz for the reminder of your mod. I may just try that to make room for my nose retracts. I am posting another pic of the wing to better show the edge. It is actually a little less than the diameter of a BBQ Skewer.
IMG_1692.JPG
IMG_1695.JPG

Got Aerilions hinges in
IMG_1688.JPG
IMG_1689.JPG

Wing done. Messed the paper up a little on one side but hoping detail will hide it Ready to move on to Fuselage.
IMG_1690.JPG

Blackbeltrrf

Got a little further on the A10 today but ran into an unknown that I would appreciate a little info on. Thanks in advance for the help.

In Your build Nic you stated that you were playing around with wood for the second Engine support. Should I use wood or bend another Aluminum piece
2015-12-05 14.29.31.jpg
2015-12-05 14.30.07.jpg

The second question I have is the bottom. The plans show that the edge the entire length is not cleared of foam. The middle section will not fit into the sides of the fuselage if I don't clear the foam width down to the paper along the entire edge will it? Is this correct? It does not seem right.

IMG_1767.JPG
IMG_1768.JPG

jayz 84

On your pylon spars you can go with a second aluminum spar if you choose, I did. But! Dont make one till you install the fuse bottom plate or youll throw the fuse side walls off. That fwd spar might give you that issue sence you installed it allready.
Not im not clear on what you ask about the lower fuse plate but from your picks you still need to remove the edging
2015-12-05 20.30.56.png
The red outlined section should match the fwd fuse plate, the foam strip. That little paper is there just to close up the side wall edges for a clean look.
The green arrow is the little tab the fits under your hstab,that will fold up and glue in place like a AB fold and apart of the side wall.
The blue outline section, do not glue this inplace when you install the bottom fuse plate. The fwd line acts as a hinge so you can install you hstab later in the build then glue that section inplace.
Not sure if i helped with your question,if not post a pic and highlight your question and i can help you out some more

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Good work so far! I would use alum on the second brace. I think your belly plate didn't come out right. Here is a picture of the plans:

cHaF5PG.jpg

What John said is correct. Let me know if something doesn't add up!

Blackbeltrrf

Thnx for the help guys! You are right Nic my print did not put the red line down the entire length of the edge. I see yours printed correctly. I really appreciate your markup Jayz to help clarify things as well. Also I have been looking at your Hatch mod build pics earlier in this thread and have a question. Should I be doing anything different in this part of the fuselage build to be able to incorporate that later? Sorry for all the questions guys. I just figure that you already have been down this road and would have some great tips and I don't have to reinvent the wheel so to speak and make my build a little easier. I am having a blast so far with this build.

jayz 84

To do the hatch type mod you would have to first glue the fwd nose fuse to the main fuse making it all one piece. Then cut out another former 1 and 3. Glue #1 in then the other just behind it. The same goes for #3. That forms the hatch walls. Then just finish the poster construction. After thats all done then shine a light in the dark threw the fuse so you can see the gap between the formers.
Cut between the 1 and 3 formers. Then while still shinning the light threw the fuse you then cut threw the side wall from 1 to 3 just under the top fuse plate. This is a old way of doing this mod i haven't upgraded the thread but it will help
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?11479-My-power-pod-battery-hatch-mod
after a successful cut and removal of the hatch then add a second layer of foam in the inner fuse to make it stronger (remove the paper on the side you glue down so it forms to the fuse inner shape) Now another god idea, cut the inner layer of foam the you added for strength down 1/4in from the top. Then add that 1/4in formers to the bottom of the hatch. Keeps hatch lined up and strong around the seam