nnChipmunk v2

Usafa93

I appreciate the help, guys. Nic, what a great design! With just a little up on the elevator it was a great maiden! Rock steady and beautifully coordinates turns. Great for someone just learning to coordinate rudder. Well done, sir.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I shot a speedwing build video. The wing I used with the nnP-39 but the same process will be followed for the chip speedwing.

DarkFire

Nerdnic,
AWESOME work, cool plane.
I was messing around with your request form on your site and I just put some stupid things in there, not intending to send it and uh, yeah I accidently did
so, sorry bout that:(

Just wanted to say something so you didn't think someone trolled you on purpose.

Also, didn't know where to contact you other than the forums :confused: so I picked the most recent thread.

Thanks,
Dark

Jordan3367

I have! :)

It flew really well, until I tried it with a Tacon Power pod....
The only sustained damage was to the power pod, and, weirdly, the wingtips just past the folded over section. They ripped and have to be repaired. I think Popsicle sticks will be able to prevent that in the future.

Great plane Nic! 3rd Chipmunk I've built, and they all fly great. Love the hatch. :)

Gryf

Hi, Nic!

I said in an earlier post that I really wanted to build an nnChipmunk, after seeing its performance at Flite Fest. Well, a recent incident pushed me over the edge. Click. While working with MonoKote during repairs to my Mini Contender, I found that I really like the stuff... and just for grins I tried covering some scrap waterproof DTFB with MonoKote, and found that it irons on very nicely, with no damage to the foam.

So I've just downloaded the plans for the nnChipmunk, and intend to go full-bore with the speed wing... and then to cover the whole thing with MonoKote. Stay tuned, there will be pictures. :)

And by the way, sorry if some of my earlier comments seemed a bit pointed. I have no doubt that I'll run some fast passes over the runway at our club field myself. It's just too tempting!

Best,

Gryf

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I have! :)

It flew really well, until I tried it with a Tacon Power pod....
The only sustained damage was to the power pod, and, weirdly, the wingtips just past the folded over section. They ripped and have to be repaired. I think Popsicle sticks will be able to prevent that in the future.

Great plane Nic! 3rd Chipmunk I've built, and they all fly great. Love the hatch. :)

Any chance you got pics of each build? Also can you give some more detail and maybe a photo showing where the wing tore?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Hi, Nic!

I said in an earlier post that I really wanted to build an nnChipmunk, after seeing its performance at Flite Fest. Well, a recent incident pushed me over the edge. Click. While working with MonoKote during repairs to my Mini Contender, I found that I really like the stuff... and just for grins I tried covering some scrap waterproof DTFB with MonoKote, and found that it irons on very nicely, with no damage to the foam.

So I've just downloaded the plans for the nnChipmunk, and intend to go full-bore with the speed wing... and then to cover the whole thing with MonoKote. Stay tuned, there will be pictures. :)

And by the way, sorry if some of my earlier comments seemed a bit pointed. I have no doubt that I'll run some fast passes over the runway at our club field myself. It's just too tempting!

Best,

Gryf

Very cool! I look forward to seeing this build progress!

Jordan3367

Any chance you got pics of each build? Also can you give some more detail and maybe a photo showing where the wing tore?

Sure, the pictures are below.
I don't have pictures of the first two, and I'm waiting until this one is decorated to photograph it.
These are just of the damage from crashing.

ChipmunkDammage (3).JPG ChipmunkDammage (4).JPG ChipmunkDamage (5).JPG ChipmunkDamage (1).JPG ChipmunkDammage (2).JPG

BTW I flew it without posterboard, I added it later.

Last edited:

Jordan3367

Had an interesting experience today-

Turns out the Basic wing's wingtips will fold under the g-force from a Tacon motor.
I had a steel spar, but the wingtips weren't reinforced any more than usual... :p

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Had an interesting experience today-

Turns out the Basic wing's wingtips will fold under the g-force from a Tacon motor.
I had a steel spar, but the wingtips weren't reinforced any more than usual... :p

lol! Yes this is why I say only 500w on the basic wing. The tacon pulls over 1200 on 4s!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor

Jordan3367

Did you run the tacon on this repaired build? It looks like the BBQ skewers saved the tips from ripping all the way off :)

At first, no. I maidened it with a normal motor and it crashed when I let my brother fly it and turned away to watch another plane. :p That was when the wingtips broke. I repaired it with tape and flew again with the tacon motor. That worked until I lost it in the sun. I repaired it and a few days later flew it with the tacon again. It worked really well for a while, but then mid-flight the wing snapped and I barely saved it from a death spiral. The power pod tore through the plane and it is currently unflyable. And that's the story of my Chipmunk v2. :)

P.S. I also sent you a message asking about the A10 v2.

I built a mini chipmunk style plane with a sort of nn style speed wing. It was only meant to be half a wing to practise the technique but I ended up with a full plane. I have a thread for it here but I think the title is a bit misleading http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?30432-Mini-speed-wing-racer

After seeing the performance and durability of this aluminium reinforced speed wings I'll definitely be building a fast chipmunk next

Last edited: