nnMIG 3 Swappable - design, build, and review log

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Do you use the Scotch seal stuff over the paper or do you remove the paper?

Oh, no this doesn't go on the paper, this is for the canopy. It's clear plastic that you can cut and shape. The pack comes in 10 and they have like a sticky side and a clear plastic side, I just cut off the sticky and use the plastic.

udo789

Oh, no this doesn't go on the paper, this is for the canopy. It's clear plastic that you can cut and shape. The pack comes in 10 and they have like a sticky side and a clear plastic side, I just cut off the sticky and use the plastic.

Ooops, my bad. Thanks for your reply.

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times

Hey i found it by the way and this stuff looks pretty good nice find

jayz 84

Hey nic how far back did you battery sit in the pod so i have a odea how to set up mine

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
The 2000mah 4s sits pretty far back, but my 4000 is only like 1.5 inches from the firewall. I'm not sure how heavy your motor is vs mine, though.

jayz 84

The 2000mah 4s sits pretty far back, but my 4000 is only like 1.5 inches from the firewall. I'm not sure how heavy your motor is vs mine, though.

Hmm mine weighs 155 and your is 140. I made my pod a inch longer then the plans and squared it off cause i knew it would sit back far

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
So the polycrylic directly on DTFB with the original paper is a bad idea. It makes the paper hard and everything feels stiff but as soon as you bend it or stress it at all the paper breaks free and falls apart. I do not suggest anyone leave the original paper on if using the polycrylic.

I'm still applying layers to the drop paper method to see how it holds up but so far the paper is fully bonded and looks very promising.

jayz 84

So the polycrylic directly on DTFB with the original paper is a bad idea. It makes the paper hard and everything feels stiff but as soon as you bend it or stress it at all the paper breaks free and falls apart. I do not suggest anyone leave the original paper on if using the polycrylic.

I'm still applying layers to the drop paper method to see how it holds up but so far the paper is fully bonded and looks very promising.

Well then im glad you said that cause i was just about to apply it

jayz 84

The only thing left to do is set the cg and add the decals. The laminate plastic works well nic but the hobbyking colored placking tape just sux CAM00463.jpg

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Looks clean man! Did you use the new scotch clear material for the canopy? Looks so precise.

I had to add some glue to my canopy, tape wasn't enough. I really want to come up with a better canopy install in general so the canopy locks in place but can come off for rx swap/etc.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Oh, one word of advice on flying now that I've put more hours on her:

1) launch with lots of power and throw her hard
2) land hot, she wants to tip stall out of a flare
3) go easy on the elevator at first, it's pretty responsive
4) CG is pretty sensitive so error on nose heavy if you have to at first
5) hang on, she's gonna rip :)

Jaxx

The only thing left to do is set the cg and add the decals. The laminate plastic works well nic but the hobbyking colored placking tape just sux View attachment 31841

Man, this thing looks awesome! I'm about to take a shower, then I'm going to Walmart to get that stuff for the canopy. Did you use a single sheet?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
One sheet should give you two canopys I think. I really like this stuff, it's way easier to work with compared to soda bottles.

jayz 84

Looks clean man! Did you use the new scotch clear material for the canopy? Looks so precise.

I had to add some glue to my canopy, tape wasn't enough. I really want to come up with a better canopy install in general so the canopy locks in place but can come off for rx swap/etc.

Ya it the scotch material. I tried gluing it but the back part was giving me a hard time im not to happy with it. But the tab idea sounds like a plan id like to beable to remove it. But i went with the old mixwax then dusted it with white paint. I got very lucky i was letting it dry on my patio and it started to poor out side almost on my plane i saved it just in time