Noob needs help on first build! Please and thank you! :)

spereira88

Hello everyone!

Sorry moderators, i didn't know which forum to post this in.

My name is Serg From Toronto, Ontario Canada. I am 24 years old and i have great aspirations of becoming a real pilot some day.... But for the time being, RC keeps a Big smile on my face.

I currently own only a Super cub DSM Kit from Hobby Zone that I've flown a hand full of times. I got a companion kit that came with a speed charger, spare battery and water landing gear.

I also bought the Original Tricopter Body - By David Windestål. From the FliteTest store

I have just ordered the FT Spitfire Speed Build Kit and the Bat Bone Tri 370 Kit

I want to eventually work my way into FPV Flying. but seeing as that is not such a cheap hobby, i want to start off buy building my first aircraft and get comfortable with it, as much as possible.

I chose to buy the FT Spitfire speed build kit because i like the removable power pod. it allows me to simply order another body for the pod if ever i get into a REALLY bad accident. or repair the one i ordered with some Paper and glue maybe. And the price is Perfect.

i also got the Bat bones tricopter because i love photography and film, and it looks like a great platform to have fun with while being creative.

I live in Toronto Canada and Ive got some really nice places to fly in my area. Both LARGE Open Grassy areas and smaller parks with some cool obstacles. I don't know what the Rules and regulations about the various frequencies are though. i know that the airways around here are pretty saturated, so i would think that a lower frequency Tx/Rx would perform better?

What i want to do with the Tricopter is eventually be able to fly FPV, Maybe do some Arial drops for fun, and some day convert it/Build a new Hexacopter and put a Small HD Camcorder with a gimble on it. With the FT Spitfire, i just want to fly! :) and later get into FPV with planes as well.

SO.... Being pretty new to the RC world i have some questions, naturally. i was hoping if some of you kind folks could assist me.

What i have is a Spectrum DX4e controller, i think it has 4 channels + a Mix, and MD4/MD2(not sure what those are). I guess you would know more about this controller then i do. Ive got the Super cub With both landing gear and the water things. I have two batteries. One is a ParkZone PKZ1033 11.1v, 1300mAh(14.43Wh) 15c Continuous Discharge, 20C Burst. I don't know if its 1S 2S 3S...etc i THINK its 3S? how can i check? it looks like there are three wafers inside the green plastic casing and the balancing cable has 4 pin plug. i have the charger that came with the Plane that is a HobbyZone 1.5A Ac power supply with an output of 13.5v and a charge rate of 1.3A. I also have a Prophetsport LiPo class 2 charger. It has a switch for 3S and 2S. And three lights indicating 2A, 1A, and 0.5A. i think those lights indicate the charging rate? it has 3 pin and 4 pin connector at the bottom.

My father is an electrician, and i am very comfortable and good at soldering and using Heat shrink. Also, ive got a well stocked workshop in terms of tools.

Now, before my questions, understand that although i have watched many FliteTest videos, and read as many articles on this website as i could, most of the terminology i have been able to pick up and understand. but in terms of what i would need, or what will work well with what, i am completely lost because i have no experience. YET. and

My first question: Is my spectrum DX4e Good enough to use with what ever hardware i decide to put into my FT Spitfire?/tricopter?

2nd question: What should i be looking at in terms of motors for each(Tricopter/FT Spitfire)? What does the Kv do. What weight would be appropriate for the Tricopter/FT Spitfire? Could i use the same motor for everything to simplify the build? Or would the FT Spitfire be better suited with a different type of motor then the tricopter?

3rd question: Could i use the Receiver from my Super cub in either the FT spitfire or the Tricopter? would it be advisable? or am i better off getting a new receiver and controller board? Would that also mean that i have to get a new controller/transmitter?

4th question: In terms of speed controllers, What should i get? and what components NEED a speed controller?

5th question: Servos? I know that all of the servos for the control surfaces on the plane can be the same. But the one servo on the tail end of the Tri copter has to be different? Also In terms of servos for the ailerons, If i have Two servos for the ailerons, do they get plugged into the same channel? Could i use a splitter cable? or do i mix two channels together?

ive probably typed too much and made this post very long winded but i wanted to try to give as much information as i could. the more you know, the better help i can get. Any suggestions on any of the topics at all are VERY Much appreciated.

Also, I where i work, i have access to a Professional printer where i can print stickers, and i plan on making a Skin for my aircraft. Many pictures will be posted! Maybe ill make a build log?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
My first question: Is my spectrum DX4e Good enough to use with what ever hardware i decide to put into my FT Spitfire?/tricopter?

As long as you don't need more than 4 channels, it should be fine.

2nd question: What should i be looking at in terms of motors for each(Tricopter/FT Spitfire)? What does the Kv do. What weight would be appropriate for the Tricopter/FT Spitfire? Could i use the same motor for everything to simplify the build? Or would the FT Spitfire be better suited with a different type of motor then the tricopter?

KV is the RPM by way of volts that the motor will spin.

I like anywhere from 900-1300 KV on a tricopter.
Another factor to look for is the wattage of the motor, or the amount of thrust it will produce. I like around 20 oz or so for my tricopters.

I am not familiar with the spitfire's needs.

3rd question: Could i use the Receiver from my Super cub in either the FT spitfire or the Tricopter? would it be advisable? or am i better off getting a new receiver and controller board? Would that also mean that i have to get a new controller/transmitter?

I don't think it will matter. You'll need to rebind it. You won't be able to use it for more than one model, without rebinding and resetting all of your trims, reversing servos, etc.

4th question: In terms of speed controllers, What should i get? and what components NEED a speed controller?

That will be determined by the motor you select. The speed controller is the electronic version of a carburetor/fuel injector. You select it by the max amp rating of the motor. I like to go a bit higher. So if the motor is rated at 18 amps, I'd go for at least a 20 amp ESC.

5th question: Servos? I know that all of the servos for the control surfaces on the plane can be the same. But the one servo on the tail end of the Tri copter has to be different?

You can use a 9 gram servo, but you might be better off going with one that has metal gears.

Also In terms of servos for the ailerons, If i have Two servos for the ailerons, do they get plugged into the same channel? Could i use a splitter cable? or do i mix two channels together?

Yes, with the 4 channel radio, you'll need a splitter cable. The DX4e has no programming capability so no mixing.

ive probably typed too much and made this post very long winded but i wanted to try to give as much information as i could. the more you know, the better help i can get. Any suggestions on any of the topics at all are VERY Much appreciated.

Also, I where i work, i have access to a Professional printer where i can print stickers, and i plan on making a Skin for my aircraft. Many pictures will be posted! Maybe ill make a build log?

spereira88

David Windestål? THE David Windestål? It is an Honor sir! And a pleasure to see the stars of the show are active on the forum!

Thank you for the advice. you have cleared up some things for me. Since i am in Canada, i am going to try to order everything from local sources. Would it be okay if i posted a Screen cap of a Cart for parts for each the Tricopter and the FT Spitfire and you tell me if anything is conflicting?

In about a half an hour, ill have something for you.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I'm sorry to disappoint, I'm merely FlyingMonkey. The David notation merely is in reference as to why I have a carebear image for my avatar.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
David Windestål? THE David Windestål? It is an Honor sir! And a pleasure to see the stars of the show are active on the forum!

Thank you for the advice. you have cleared up some things for me. Since i am in Canada, i am going to try to order everything from local sources. Would it be okay if i posted a Screen cap of a Cart for parts for each the Tricopter and the FT Spitfire and you tell me if anything is conflicting?

In about a half an hour, ill have something for you.

No not David. You were talking to FlyingMonkey. He is a forum mod and all around good guy from Florida.

Edit: Monkey your fingers are just a bit faster than mine.

Thurmond

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
beermug.jpg

Ooops, wrong thread, but the "all around good guy" comment still leaves me suspicious of the status of his sobriety.