Northrop P-61 Build-Log designed by the 13th Squadron

SSgt Duramax

Thanks. I hope to do this project justice to my minds eye. I already have wrinkled the skins more than I hoped.
I want to know how you got those tail booms rolled so nicely. There is similar sculpting on the A6M Zero and my was all wrinkly.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
oh, Mines Wrinkled.. but from pushing it on. less from rolling (although there is some from that. Edge of my Kitchen counter, patience and tape. and lt it set for a while. (2days) the foam relaxes some and makes the glue up easier.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
The wrinkled ones still look good when they fly past. Until I totaled mine, I flew the snot out of it. It's a sweet handling plane that fits in smaller flying fields and should do you proud.

SSgt Duramax

oh, Mines Wrinkled.. but from pushing it on. less from rolling (although there is some from that. Edge of my Kitchen counter, patience and tape. and lt it set for a while. (2days) the foam relaxes some and makes the glue up easier.
I got a few wrinkles in my tail, and i kind of threw in the towel trying to keep it straight and spackled over it.

I need to get my F6F build log going. I have pics for it.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I got a few wrinkles in my tail, and i kind of threw in the towel trying to keep it straight and spackled over it.

I need to get my F6F build log going. I have pics for it.

That Hellcat goes together quickly and because is an acrobatic superstar because its so light. Mine has lots of throw on the ailerons and can spin with the best of them. Hope its a fun build for you!

FoamyDM

I finally found my servo extensions! I installed the servos and wired them up, pushrods in. I then glued, the tail pieces in. put in the power splitter to use one battery.
Next is the motors and ESCs. and plug them into the receiver. I also need to power few red LEDs. And Lastly get out the poster board for the interior details.
I don't see how the gear will retract, so I may just put in static gear, but the cockpit is coming.

SSgt Duramax

That Hellcat goes together quickly and because is an acrobatic superstar because its so light. Mine has lots of throw on the ailerons and can spin with the best of them. Hope its a fun build for you!
Everything has been fun on it so far apart from cutting out the formers, that was tedious.

I really like the Black Widow, but that Betty looks awesome too. I want so badly to build a twin.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
The start of #2. Followed FoamyDM's lead and am using black foamboard one the exterior bits for this one.

Attachments

• 20211212_143557.jpg
    20211212_143557.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211212_193851.jpg
    20211212_193851.jpg
    908.7 KB · Views: 0

SSgt Duramax

The start of #2. Followed FoamyDM's lead and am using black foamboard one the exterior bits for this one.
Have you all noticed the black foam board is a little different? I think the paper is harder to remove/delaminate and it is a little thinner.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Have you all noticed the black foam board is a little different? I think the paper is harder to remove/delaminate and it is a little thinner.

Yes! I'm wondering how it will take paint. I get terrible delamination when I paint the white stuff in colder weather.

FoamyDM

I'm not sure if I will water proof / gloss coat it. I have some pictures here somewhere of the progress.
I wanted to do FPV with this plane and in that Vein/Vane(?) I will print them from the paper replica - to scale see attachment (pdf) to print them on Overhead projector transparency sheets, then tape to metal or foam formers for support in a grab.

Attachments

• P61BWindowsfor Transparency.pdf
    934.4 KB · Views: 0

SSgt Duramax

I'm not sure if I will water proof / gloss coat it. I have some pictures here somewhere of the progress.
I wanted to do FPV with this plane and in that Vein/Vane(?) I will print them from the paper replica - to scale see attachment (pdf) to print them on Overhead projector transparency sheets, then tape to metal or foam formers for support in a grab.
Thats going to look awesome!

CrshNBrn

Elite member