NutBall Scratch Build

kacknor

Build another!
Jeeze, ain't that the truth. ;) I continue to have also had that purpose in life.

Nice to see the Nutball thread popping up. it's a great first time build, and a path to success. I see first time Arrows and Mustangs and think "There is a certain path to frustration". It's not that there is anything wrong with the planes. It's that they are small and fast and not really Noob friendly.

Build slow, fly long, then scavenge the carcass to build something faster.

JD

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Having tried the Snowball, I'm going to suggest that as one not to start with. I have heard others brag about the FT Flyer though I have not yet done that one. I like the fact that it has more wing area.

kacknor

Build another!
so is the general consensus that nutball should be first? or is ft flyer a better first plane?

There is no general consensus. I think an Old Fogey or Old Speedster are great first planes, but the Flyer and nutball are easy builds, and were my first (same time). Both were out of Elmer's foam board and both heavy. They flew. From my experience I can say that no matter what, I advise to keep it slow and keep it simple. In my case Elmer's worked (But it made both planes heavy and faster). It was tough, and having both meant I wasn't necessarily done when the first bit the dust for the day, because....

I crashed. I fixed and flew again. I crashed. I fixed and flew again. I crashed. I fixed and flew again. I crashed. I fixed and flew again.

Use a prop saver, buy more props anyway. ;)

Repeat and continue. ;)

As mentioned, a simulation helps. While some are better than others all build the thumb/finger muscle memory required to fly.

Most of all have fun! A 20 second flight can be a blast if you remember how it went and what you might do differently next time.

JD

kacknor

Build another!
Having tried the Snowball, I'm going to suggest that as one not to start with. I have heard others brag about the FT Flyer though I have not yet done that one. I like the fact that it has more wing area.

The nutball was OK, but it spilled air off the sides and the wobble was an odd experience. My Flyer was an arrow, but quick because of the weight. Both worked. I was addicted. ;)

JD

P.S. I still fly nutballs. Fun plane.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I haven't given up on the Snowball, rather just moved it to the back of the hangar to be worked on another day.
I don't like failing.

Spitfire222

Not a skater
Hi everyone,

Here's my latest Nutball, of the several that I've built. It's powered by a C20 1500Kv motor on 2s or 3s 500mAh. On my Nutballs, I tend to cut the dihedral tips a bit further out so they're smaller. The perimeter is taped to help protect against bumps and hangar rash. I usually make stiffer pushrods for my aircraft using wood dowels or CF tubes, (though there's likely no noticeable advantage on a plane like this), and on foamies like the FT designs, I always cut off the control surfaces and use tape hinges.

It flies just as goofy as it's name! I love these little planes! :)

20160530_155739.jpg

20160530_155748.jpg

20160530_155753.jpg

20160530_155800.jpg

Winglet

Setup right, these really are great little airplanes. FT sells these in a 3 pack for a reason and I wish more people would go with them when they are starting out. Flyer first, progress to the Nutball and finally master the Delta. All with the same powerpack and flight pack. Makes sense to me but seems like everyone has to jump in way over their heads with a P-51 a Arrow or something else advanced that is only going to end in frustration.

It frustrates me to read so many threads with people ignoring FT's advise and jumping into high performance airplanes and complicated builds for their very first model. That never ends well.

Spitfire222

Not a skater
It frustrates me to read so many threads with people ignoring FT's advise and jumping into high performance airplanes and complicated builds for their very first model. That never ends well.

I completely agree. I always read people saying they're new to RC and have just bought an FT Spitfire, FT-22, FT Guinea Pig, etc. While great flying planes, they're still not the best option for beginners. A plane like the FT Flyer is so much simpler to build in the first place, fly, and then repair, since it's just a Power Pod with flat sheet surfaces. Of course the warbirds and jets are sexier options, but I have a feeling lots of people have been turned off from RC after not finding success with them. Start simple, people!

(For what it's worth, I don't think the Nutball is a good beginner's plane either, due to it's lack of neutral stability. That short aspect ratio wing makes it very wobbly!)

kacknor

Build another!
(For what it's worth, I don't think the Nutball is a good beginner's plane either, due to it's lack of neutral stability. That short aspect ratio wing makes it very wobbly!)

In the end it's not that big of a deal really, if one were to build the Flyer and/or Nutball to learn. Both crash(!) and both repair easy and long enough to learn something for the third one.

I was up at Weak Signals this year and came home with a micro EPP Nutball from Laser Toys. It's only about 14"! ;) It's for this winter indoors.

JD

Spitfire222

Not a skater
In the end it's not that big of a deal really, if one were to build the Flyer and/or Nutball to learn. Both crash(!) and both repair easy and long enough to learn something for the third one.

I was up at Weak Signals this year and came home with a micro EPP Nutball from Laser Toys. It's only about 14"! ;) It's for this winter indoors.

JD

Agreed, which is what I think makes the Nutball a good beginner plane. It's more about its build and repair simplicity, rather than its flight characteristics. The FT Flyer does both well!

I had a coworker who had never flown RC planes before build an FT Flyer and bring it to a lunchtime flying session. With only voice commands from me, and the "over-the-shoulder" method, he successfully flew that plane on his first ever RC flight. It was incredible, and great to witness.

I've flown the full-size FT Nutball indoors, and it does just fine! :)