F-22 Raptor Scratch Build

CJGFX

Hi all

Well after a couple of hours building our F22 is done and my son decided upon the colour scheme, which we did in coloured packing tape. Just before the rain started again I managed to get a maiden flight in, unfortunately is wasn't the best maiden I have had... On first launch it headed straight towards the ground and each flight involved battling with the elevators to get a level flight. I moved the battery around and added a little upthrust on the motor, but nothing seemed to help a great deal to get it into level flight.
Here the specs:-
Motor - 2812/14 97W
ESC - 10amp
Prop - 8X4 slowfly
Batt - 11.1v 500mAh 30C
Servos - TG9z 9g servos

Here are some photos pre flight
Raptor01.jpg Raptor02.jpg

Here's a video of the Raptor

I'm pretty sure the motors too small for this plane as it's getting too hot. I have got a Emax CF2812 1650KV motor, would that be too much with a 1000mAh battery?? And what size prop would be good??

If anyone can help with the level flight issue please let me know....

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Can't view your video...

Is this the motor you are using?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5423

May be that you are a little on the heavy side with the packing tape on there?
That motor likes a 7x6 apc style prop.
1000mah- shouldn't be a problem- more important is the C rating of the battery.
Got some reflex on the elevons? this style of plane needs some reflex to fly well (elevons trimmed upwards at neutral)

Last edited:

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Done well on the emax motor with a 7x6 and 1300mah battery...
I suspect my coro build is a bit heavier that the foam versions that most here on this thread have build.

CJGFX

OK I'll start having a look at putting the Emax motor on with a 1000Ah battery and give that a go....

Flynn

Having some fun with mine. I broke the "fly before you paint it" rule on this one. I did minwax first then just regular primer. My maiden was funny. By mistake I put a 800 mah 2s in it. With full throttle I was able to fly around he park but only at 6' off the ground and kinda slow. Not looking much like a jet. After landing I put a 500 mah 3s in and it was much better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 20

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Been having fun with a few of these. Until now, all of mine have been made of coroplast. This one is dollar tree foam. Two layers for the wing. Only extreme tape for reinforcement.
Rewound cf2812 motor
Hobbyking 25-30 SS esc
TowerPro 9g servos
Orange6 receiver
Somebody has an F22 problem
IMG_20131129_024017_465.jpg
IMG_20131129_024107_213.jpg
IMG_20131129_023947_833.jpg
IMG_20131129_030652_496.jpg

Last edited:

Flynn

Sorry Flitetest I couldn't wait.

image.jpg

Well, I smashed up my gray F22 but got like 30 flights on it. So I built the FT Delta, not big fan. I don't think I gave it enough time. So I wanted to build another F22. Then I heard one the podcast that FT is working on a better version of the F22. Saw a glimpse of it on the flitetest gremlin channel and thought I'd try and build it. I know it's crazy, lol.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Well, I knew that FT was coming out with a more "scale" FT-22, but I needed a combat plane. Meet the Phoenix:
image.jpg
No the plane didn't rise from the ashes, but the motor has been rewound several times, the ESC has been repaired over and over, and the RX went in a lake. She flies great!
Oh, 30" span, so slightly larger than the FT plans.

Flynn

Looks good Foam, I did something similar as a motor mount on my gray one and it was rock solid. Here's my latest version of the F-22 at the field. It flew great! It's gunna be great for beginners

image.jpg

I just have to finish the turtle deck. I so glad to have a plane that flys on 800mah again.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Yeah, it's a UF-22, but hey, I built it at a friend's house on the floor, and it still flew just fine, with hobby lobby foam board no less!
I am anxiously awaiting that semi scale F-22, I have a rapidly advancing student pilot who needs a jet in his life.:p

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Hey, My UF-22 has a severe spin tendency at lower throttle settings. It always does a wing over to the right, and refuses to respond for a few moments. Does anyone else have this problem?

Flynn

I had a similar problem with the FT delta. I would have to chop the throttle to get out of it. I think it start happening when I cranked up my throws. Never had it happen with the F-22

Gidday,

Here is my F22 foamie. This is the very first rc plane I have built, and following the videos and forum threads here it has come together well and I am very pleased with the results.
DSCF3160s.jpg DSCF3161s.jpg

I am now just sourcing the electronics locally have having a disaster with Hobby King. My first ever purchase using Hobby King, "your package has been shipped" and the package has been lost and the tracking number has not changed in 33 days....

moving on....

I have now started on the FT-22, which is physically bigger than the F22 so I think once I have the F22 airborne and sorted I will pass it onto my son :)

DSCF3157s.jpg

More photos as progress occurs.

Drew

randall_l

Sorry guys. I had to make mine swappable.

FT-F22.jpg

My power pods are 60%, but the F22 plans needed to be 84% to accommodate my pod without much modification. AUW is 223g with 2, 2S 500mAh Lipos.

I'm waiting for the ice to disappear before I maiden it. That makes 3 planes waiting now--busy winter so far.

Cheers!
Randall

Grendel

My initial build had servos at the back. It's just 18 grams but it was enough to make the plane difficult to fly sometimes
IMG_20140409_182432.jpg

Now i moved my servos to the very front and each heavy landing de-calibrates servos :D... And now plane is... nose heavy... tricky fellow... I also experimented with polyhedral wing -just the wing tips - like F4 Phantom.

I just put KF2 airfoil this morning... Crazy flying - like natural high alpha tendency :)... crashed it again of course :)...