Nutball

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
I have two sheets of dollar tree type of foam around. Might build this for my son to fly and I will build the F-22 for myself on a different day..... like this saturday at work. I love being in the FD working weekends!!!!

MrClean

The FT Flyer is a basic trainer and a fun flyer. The Nutball is a little more active. We just had a young man from England having problems cutting his teeth on a Nutball and though the build is simple enough, several of the flight characteristics made it rough. Properly set up the Nutball handles like a baby. Incorrectly setup and it's a blur with a pile of parts at the end of it's flight path.

I used to cuss the Pizza Box Flyer (PBF) all the time at SPADworld.net. See there's about 3 parts to the darn things, they take longer to rig the servos then to build AND there are plenty of videos of Dave McDonald trimming trees, catching and rethrowing, flying through shelter houses and just basically making the darn thing do tricks like it was his trained seal at a circus. It belied the fact that Dave McDonald is GOOOOOD! PBF's are great at keeping prop manufacturers in business. They don't break much but they do have a good habit of trying to bite the hand that launches them. Every newcomer to RC that ever crashed their primary trainer because they "Didn't need any training" then decided that because Dave could make this simple "plane" do anything he wanted that they too could, and then we'd have the complaint threads about how terrible all SPADs were by people who were still holding the box with the antennae poking out between their legs. They are a fun ship to fly though. I have a Snowball, it's the brother to the Nutball and they are cousins to the PBF. It's just a better 2nd or 3rd airplane then a primary trainer.
I used to sell in a hobby shop. I'll sell ya parts all day long, it's no matter to me. But a happy customer buys parts longer so I'm kinda geered toward your success more then your desires. I'm the guy that pushed Kadets and discouraged Mustangs. Not that I didn't sell Mustangs. Some folks just wouldn't listen. Some of them actually came back for Kadets. Having a piled up Mustang in the corner of the shop didn't hurt.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Onenutball done...... One crash already.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    845.3 KB · Views: 47

MrClean

Keep at it, them things are fun. I have video somwhere of just doing lazy eights in front of me. Couldn't have been more then a 10 foot box.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
I think I made the elevator too big I barely got it off the ground and pulled up and next thing I said was........ Oh Shoit! I'm glad the fire wall was made out of balsa so that shattered. The end of the shaft bent a little but I was able to fix it. So Friday when I'm at work..... The chief is away...... I'll bring the nut ball to work and see if I can fly it.... I do work at an airport..... On the military side though.

Last edited: