OFFICIAL Bixler thread!!!

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Nice "build in" you did there with the motor mount.

The cooll thing about it that it pusher plane so the motor mount itself doesn´t need to hold the weight of the plane.

edit: Just saw that you posted a video.

Quite fast for that plane type!

PaulT

Mentor
Very nice. Thanks for posting. Doesn't look like any negative effect on flight. I also like the fact that your esc is outside, leaving more room inside.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Very nice. Thanks for posting. Doesn't look like any negative effect on flight. I also like the fact that your esc is outside, leaving more room inside.
That's not my video, that's just one I pulled off YouTube. My ESC will probably be in that location b/c once you pull the factory ESC out, you'd have to split the fuselage to route the wires. This way is easier and has extra cooling if needed.

ananas1301

Ohh alright!

But your mount is still done quite well. If yours will go like that you will have a nice flyer then

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Which replacement motor should I get?
MJv3...don't even consider anything else, just do it :) You'll thank me later.

http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/ghmicrojetv3brushlessoutrunnermotor-p-425.html

MicroV3.jpg

Last edited:

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Yeah, I just put one on mine. I can't say enough good things about that motor...here's more MicroJet awesomeness,on a Bixler/Sky Surfer/EasyStar clone (Wild Hawk)

Last edited:

fpsazerbaijan

Hi everyone! Just thought I'd show my Bixler Setup video... So here it is, any questions or comments let me know :)

Happy flying,
Al :)

Last edited:

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Totally agree with removing the washers, without them a 2200mah 3s will balance perfectly...there were four huge washers in the nose of my Sky Surfer (the original Bixler, lol) and I was able to just barely reach in there with my hand a they just popped right off. It only pulled of a couple tiny bubbles of foam with the hot glue that the washers were attached with. If you can't reach with your hand, then use the needle nose pliers but boiling water and pouring into your plane is a hassle.

f018e70b.jpg

Fatfish

Have you tried that motor on the Bixler?

I have tried it on the Wild Hawk and since this is almost the same plane, i can tell you that it's a perfect motor for this plane. I never managed to draw out this amount of power like shown in rcsuperpowers motor testing video, that it could take of the ground, but loopings and climbings with a 6x4 prop where no problem at all.

Take it, you won't regret it for that price.

Hamdhan

The Expert Newbie
Guys, I have spotted an EasyStar at an Indian store, the plane sports a Perma 400 motor...is this a good motor? Is it a brushless? WIll it run of a 2S liPo

ananas1301

Yes my brother and me were flying it for a while. It is a motor that is brushed. Also it in my opinion it doesn´t have enough power at all. For me it was really hard to do the first steps of flying with it because immediately when you launch it, it lacks of power and nearly goes into a harrier before nicking down and crashing into ground. It certainly makes a lot harder to learn with then with a more powered brushless motor.

PaulT

Mentor
So, just viewed the video from Scotland and have some comments.
I would get rid of the control horns asap and replace with quality ones (nylon). HK uses the absolute cheapest and brittle ones on the planet. I have seen them brake just by staring at them (old goat trick:D).
Also, I have installed a 1 x 5 mm flat cf spar to the elevator and a solid cf spar inside the very thin wing spar, for support.
Other than that, you have covered just about every recommended mod that the net has to offer.
Well done.

Hamdhan

The Expert Newbie
Yes my brother and me were flying it for a while. It is a motor that is brushed. Also it in my opinion it doesn´t have enough power at all. For me it was really hard to do the first steps of flying with it because immediately when you launch it, it lacks of power and nearly goes into a harrier before nicking down and crashing into ground. It certainly makes a lot harder to learn with then with a more powered brushless motor.

Are you using a 2S or 3S? If it has little power then I think I'll just buy from HobbyKing and put it on Air Parcel and wait weeks for the parcel to arrive. It should be worth it!

Hamdhan

The Expert Newbie
Anyone recommend the XENO from Multiplex for a first plane? I can fly a P-51 on realflight if that makes a difference.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Anyone recommend the XENO from Multiplex for a first plane? I can fly a P-51 on realflight if that makes a difference.

Hamdhan, in short, no.

Flying on a simulator is not the same as flying in real life. You have trim issues, balance issues, wind, sun, distractions. There's an element of what is called "pucker factor" because no matter how confident you think you'll be, you'll feel nervous.

Simulators help, a lot, but it doesn't mean an instant jump from beginner plane to something as advanced like a flying wing.