P40 home build, flies lovely....with no motor...... then.....

Hizznibzz

I've just built the FT P40 - its a beauty! I've had to use the white foam as I'm struggling to source the stuff you guys use.

So here's the thing.... The P40 glides beautifully, no engine etc, hand launched.... As soon as I give it revs on the motor it climbs a bit, banks left and pitches at speed into the ground.... what's up with that? I've gone through more props than I care to imagine! CAn anyone help?

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Throttle up before throwing it. What is happening is called "Torque roll" and can be fixed by throttling up before launch to about 2/3 throttle.

Hizznibzz

Thank you... for your reply!! It still does it if I do that, even at 50 per cent throttle but then there doesn't seem to be enough gas to get it to 'take' ....

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
I had the same problem. You need to be almost full throttle and turn full right. Once you get altitude and speed it stops trying to bank.

Last edited:

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Do you have any right thrust angle?
Also for the plane to counter any torque roll, it needs to be moving through the air (or at least have blown ailerons - which it doesn't look like this model has)

When I hand launch stuff, I power up until it feels like the plane is going to pull out of my hand, then give it a very firm throw at about 20deg up. I do this with my left hand, so I can have my thumb on the right stick, so I can correct any roll/pitch issues from the toss.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
looking at the build video, it doesn't look like that the power pod has any right thrust angle.

Hizznibzz

Hey I really appreciate you both getting back to me , thanks for the precision launch instructions. JasonK, here is a really fat question when you say 20 degrees , do you mean from the 20 deg up from the horizon being 3 o'clock. Or 20 deg. down from the vertical (being 12 oclock)? I realise how basic that question is.... thanks for your patience!

Also, what's right thrust angle? Any FT vids to help with that?

Thanks agin KN4IUU and JasonK

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Hey I really appreciate you both getting back to me , thanks for the precision launch instructions. JasonK, here is a really fat question when you say 20 degrees , do you mean from the 20 deg up from the horizon being 3 o'clock. Or 20 deg. down from the vertical (being 12 oclock)? I realise how basic that question is.... thanks for your patience!

Also, what's right thrust angle? Any FT vids to help with that?

Thanks agin KN4IUU and JasonK
Throw UP at an angle of 20 degrees