Help! Painting Fiberglass fuse

Moeller

When i paint my fiber-glass fuse, the paint and primer starts to bubble up. Any idea why.
I used normale water based spackle. And epoxy resin

FDS

Elite member
Usually that’s a reaction between the resin on the glass and the paint. What paint are you using? Also how long ago did the fibre glass cure?

Moeller

Usually that’s a reaction between the resin on the glass and the paint. What paint are you using? Also how long ago did the fibre glass cure?
The fiber glass has cured for a week. Im using normal acrylic spray paint from the local Hardware store.

Tench745

Master member
Did you wash and scrub your fiberglass thoroughly before painting? Epoxy resin can get what's called an "amine blush" that coats the surface and makes adhering paint or another layer of epoxy impossible without first removing it.

Jackson T

Elite member
I don't have any contributions, but could you share some photos and details of your fibreglass fuse please? I have some fibreglass cloth I got from someone and some ideas, but I don't know much about how to use it.

Reactions: FDS

Moeller

Did you wash and scrub your fiberglass thoroughly before painting? Epoxy resin can get what's called an "amine blush" that coats the surface and makes adhering paint or another layer of epoxy impossible without first removing it.
I cleaned it with acetone

Moeller

I don't have any contributions, but could you share some photos and details of your fibreglass fuse please? I have some fibreglass cloth I got from someone and some ideas, but I don't know much about how to use it.
I will sent photos later. Im making a 2,6 m glider. The fuse is made out of 3 layers 160 gram and 4-5 layers of 80 grams.