• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Phoenix 1600 build

bracesport

Today I was lucky enough to be given a Phoenix 1600 to build for my brother in law - fingers crossed I will get to fly it too!

It is an ARF (almost ready to fly) and not surprisingly only has the wing and tail to assemble to the fuse, followed by the control surfaces and linkages.

Never-the-less I thought I would document the process.

959BC467-8156-4574-B58A-3DA2BC8DB02C.jpeg 998009CF-1569-4E80-B510-A8D219E333F4.jpeg

Last edited:
I've got this plane and it flies perfect, but the motor gets really hot, even with 2S batteries. I'm not sure if it handles 3S. In the Hobbyking page, it says that technically it does, but I'm a bit afraid of using one. Maybe it just gets hot because the airflow doesn't cool the motor at all. Be careful with that, and good look!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Mentor
I've got this plane and it flies perfect, but the motor gets really hot, even with 2S batteries. I'm not sure if it handles 3S. In the Hobbyking page, it says that technically it does, but I'm a bit afraid of using one. Maybe it just gets hot because the airflow doesn't cool the motor at all. Be careful with that, and good look!
A hot motor or ESC can be a symptom of either blocked airflow OR a prop that is too big in either Diameter, Pitch or Both!

Have fun!

bracesport

@MarioGdV - the motor is a front mount and looks quite small (have not had a close look yet) - I have another front mount motor that looks better quality, so that could be a backup!

daxian

i too have one ...waiting on the weather to maiden ...have heared the stock motor tends to overheat ,i got the kit no electronics and hope i picked a good setup ,fingers crossed !!

@MarioGdV - the motor is a front mount and looks quite small (have not had a close look yet) - I have another front mount motor that looks better quality, so that could be a backup!
Yeah, after disassembling the motor a few times, the holes for the screws get bigger and it's almost impossible to use. I ended up making a motor mount with a credit card.

bracesport

Today’s the day - it’s cold wet and windy and I have a terrible cold - a perfect stay home afternoon to do some assembly!

I have been researching how to slope soar lately as we don’t get too many windless days here in Wellington New Zealand - seems the Pheonix might be a great candidate!