PLEASE READ, AMA Insurance, flying in Fields/Parks etc. PLEASE READ

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
haven't heard of that one. i am insured through the DMFV (german rc flying association) and the fee for that is already included in my rc club membership fee.

in germany we have a legal obligation to insure if you want to fly ANY rc plane, no matter what size and no matter if you fly it in your backyard or on your rc clubs flying field (park flying in a way it exists in the usa is to my knowledge not existant in germany)

the positive aspect of this is that there is no room for lamentation whether an insurance is necessary or not. and the few bucks you have to pay per year for the insurance are really nothing one should argue about if you compare it to what it might cost you if you cause material damage not to speak of injury to persons. so better be on the safe side, have an insurance and not think about the consequences of a crash while flying.

I meant the DMFV, but I am not that sure about the price you gotta pay for that per annum exactly. I thought it was 1€, but not sure...

Snoggle

I meant the DMFV, but I am not that sure about the price you gotta pay for that per annum exactly. I thought it was 1€, but not sure...

the fees for the DMFV membership which includes the insurance (but only for rc flying fields, not "wild flying", there is an additional insurance covering that) is 42€ for adults (18+) and 12€ for adolescents.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
My point is, had the guys where I fly occasionally been @#$#@'s like the ones he's describing, I would have missed out on a lot of opportunities both to fly, buy, and most importantly to learn. The heli guys especially have been soooooo helpful that I would be years behind where I am now if not for them. It really #$#@"s me off when I hear stories like that.
It's just the opposite at my club field...the airplane guys are mostly jolly old fat men and the heli guys are younger pricks.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Large clubs are a great place to learn and also a great place to find deals on bigger equipment. A lot of people come to the field with their latest greatest plane, and have a couple other planes by the car that they will sell to a noob for a great price. I got my first balsa plane this way. It's had about five owners but it's reliable and tough and I have a great time with it. Plus being my first wood plane, I would be scared to fly one that I built. I'm not as personally invested in this one so I'm not afraid to fly and push my limits.

My point is, had the guys where I fly occasionally been @#$#@'s like the ones he's describing, I would have missed out on a lot of opportunities both to fly, buy, and most importantly to learn. The heli guys especially have been soooooo helpful that I would be years behind where I am now if not for them. It really #$#@"s me off when I hear stories like that.

Please remember that it takes courage to approach a stranger and ask him what may feel like dumb questions. If someone comes up to you in a courteous and respectful manner and wants to learn about your hobby, then I think I think we owe it to ourselves to offer answers and advice in that same courteous and respectful manner.

Lets not be that bunch of jerks that makes a potential flying friend feel unwelcome.

Well I am sure that I have missed out on a lot of flying because of the way I was treated at this field. I want to be in this hobby as a responsible member of it, but the negativity of the first 2 attempts with this club has made me really think I will be a loner in the hobby with the exception of this site and group of people here! I will more than likely join the AMA and the park flyer part of the AMA as well, but will not be at my closest flying field. I will now have to travel about an hour to get to the next closest field and hope that the members in the club there are much more friendly. Makes me sad that someone that enjoys the hobby as I already do try to make someone feel unwelcome. I thought since I am not a young man that I may be more accepted, but I was mistaken. Anyway, the AMA should be good for me and the Hobby if I join. Thanks for the site (Flitetest) and all of the forum members here, I do feel very welcome here!

Last edited:

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
It's just the opposite at my club field...the airplane guys are mostly jolly old fat men and the heli guys are younger pricks.

I wish you guys could fly with us here. I had two guys, one in his early twenties and one in his forties, spend upwards of three hours teaching me all about my heli, setting it up and troubleshooting a problem I was having. The plane guys are just as cool. I must admit that at first I was a little nervous and they weren't very outwardly friendly but after spending some time watching and asking some questions, they opened up and were very helpful. I brought my wood cub that I had put some very large inflatable rubber tires on. It adds a very realistic touch much like the bush wheels you see on most cubs in Alaska. As people walked by they all stopped to talk about the tires and that really broke the ice. It also helps that most every pilot has had a cub at some point in their life and all seem to have a soft spot for it.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Well I am sure that I have missed out on a lot of flying because of the way I was treated at this field. I want to be in this hobby as a responsible member of it, but the negativity of the first 2 attempts with this club has made me really think I will be a loner in the hobby with the exception of this site and group of people here! I will more than likely join the AMA and the park flyer part of the AMA as well, but will not be at my closest flying field. I will now have to travel about an hour to get to the next closest field and hope that the members in the club there are much more friendly. Makes me sad that someone that enjoys the hobby as I already do try to make someone feel unwelcome. I thought since I am not a young man that I may be more accepted, but I was mistaken. Anyway, the AMA should be good for me and the Hobby if I join. Thanks for the site (Flitetest) and all of the forum members here, I do feel very welcome here!

I am glad you found a place to get your questions out and feel good about the answers you get back. This isn't a solo sport. I believe it's meant to be shared.

I would encourage you to continue finding a field that you can be comfortable at. It's such a great place to see really cool stuff, get help and advice on building, flying and even find great deals on things.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
I am glad you found a place to get your questions out and feel good about the answers you get back. This isn't a solo sport. I believe it's meant to be shared.

I would encourage you to continue finding a field that you can be comfortable at. It's such a great place to see really cool stuff, get help and advice on building, flying and even find great deals on things.

Ak, yes I do feel good and right at home here. Everyone is so helpful unlike a few of the sites I have been to. A newbie has a hard time online and in the field as well. I am going to a couple of fields this weekend and see what I can discover about the clubs at those fields. I hope that I can find a good place to fly!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Ak, yes I do feel good and right at home here. Everyone is so helpful unlike a few of the sites I have been to. A newbie has a hard time online and in the field as well. I am going to a couple of fields this weekend and see what I can discover about the clubs at those fields. I hope that I can find a good place to fly!

Sort of back to the topic, here's a link from the AMA website that will help you look up AMA clubs in your area.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

I checked it out and was able to locate a few in my area.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Oops, yes I did sort of get off of the topic didn't I. Sorry all, yes the AMA site has a lot of useful links and living in the States it is a good idea to join so you can have insurance in case of an accident.

Take a look all, I think this is the most reputable and widest known in the US for RC flight.

Vintauri

Minnesota RC'r
I will more than likely join the AMA and the park flyer part of the AMA as well,

I have been an AMA member for over 20 years and feel good about the organization and what it does. I do take part in more then just the flying side fo the hobby though. I am an AMA contest Director and a Leader Member. But it's not for everyone and there is no law saying you have to be a member. However most clubs need the insurance provided by the AMA to keep their sites. So if you wish to fly at most developed RC fields you will need AMA membership. For Clubs the site insurance is primary meaning it will cover costs directly. However for individuals it's secondary insurance. So if your a homeowner your home insurance policy would cover and claims up to it's limit and then the AMA insurance would kick in. Now if your a renter and don't have renters insurance then the AMA insurance would most likely be the primary as you probably have no other insurance to cover liability type claims.

Also for the record you don't have to join AMA at both levels. If you join as a regular member your covered for Park flying activities as long as you follow the safety rules. The park Pilot program was introduced as a lower cost option for people who only fly smaller planes and are not often in a club. There are other limitations on the Park Flyer membership but you can find out more at the AMA site on those details.

It's too bad the club in your area has to be snobs. It's clubs like this that will whine that the hobby is dying and the AMA is doing nothing about it when they are the biggest problem. My club has two main rules.

#1) No Pricks
#2) No Politics

This has kept the peace for many years. It also helps that the field on on private land and the owner is a very active club member. If there is ever a problem with someone he just tells them to leave and not come back. We've only had to do that once.

Bottom line is this hobby is best when enjoyed in the company of friends. This day and age that can be a local club or a website community such as this. Find what works for you and enjoy it.

Steve
www.vintauri.com

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Perhaps. You can pay a small fee to include the Park Flyer magazine. I just thought I'd try to clarify in case there was some confusion.

Well, I was not sure if you had to join both to fly park flyers and at AMA sanctioned sites as well. I would like to have the Parkflyer mag as well, and I am going to check into it.

And yes Steve, I stay confused most of the time, but old age will do that to you!!! (At least to me!)

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Vintauri,
I'm glad to hear from a person so involved in the organization. I see what the benefits are to the club I occasionally fly at (since I don't have one nearby). I think it's a good thing to be part of.

James Dougal

great idea but im in scotland lol i dont even think we have flying fields lol we just go down to a local park or a farm :p if where neer a farm that is :p

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Cool. I would love to see pictures of flying in Scotland. I've always wanted to visit there.

James Dougal

yeah its a lovely country and great to fly in because i live near a park many people dont realy fly rc planes up here well if they do i havnt seen them and when people walk by they always say nice plane or something nice and you sometimes get people totaly stop what there doing to watch you fly and after it you walk by and say nice things and complement you lol on my second flight of my p-51d by PZ i actualy stoped a dog training club over 40people and dogs just stopped what there doing and watched lol when i was flying by they cheered lol :p but i will upload a pic of me flying for you as soon as i can weather here changes everyday like 4seasons one day kind of a thing but for now heres not to bad pic of me flying my pz um trojan lol you can just see it :p 407479_276736579057195_100001625665080_762235_1933084326_n.jpg

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Well guys, I joined the AMA and it feels good to do that. I have been looking around the area and I think I may have found a club to join. They are about 40 minutes from where I live, but they welcomed me to come fly as a guest anytime and were very friendly. Its a small club called the Smithville Dambusters. I am going to go up this weekend and see about joining the club.

Nice to go out and find a club that was welcoming!

Wish me luck!

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Well, I knew the club used to be there, but it seemed that they didn't use the field much, if at all. I was out last sunday for a motorcycle ride and saw a number of people there and stopped.
From the minute I walked up to the field, a couple of the guys stopped and came over to see if I was a flyer. After telling them about my limited experience, they were inviting me up to be a guest and fly with them to see if I liked the club, field, and the people.
Best experience at a club as of yet.
I am going to try and sneak out there this weekend, (have family coming into town) and fly some.
I am confident that I will like the club, as they seemed to be truly interested in sharing their hobby as I would like to share it.
I will keep you updated on what happens!