PLEASE READ, AMA Insurance, flying in Fields/Parks etc. PLEASE READ

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Man that's awesome. That's the way we should all be treating each other. Glad to hear a good story for a change.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Yes, it was a good experience for a first contact. I do believe that I will get away some time this weekend and give it a go.

I have not had a lot of luck finding a club that is accepting of the newbie!

Have a great weekend!!!

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Okay guys, I have joined the AMA, have an RC club that I have joined, and man have I been flying!!! These guys at the club are all really good guys, tons of experience and fly a lot.

Its a small club, only 26 or so members, no not much wait time to fly.

These guys want to promote the sharing of knowledge, experiences, and everything else I was looking for in a club.

I am now a proud member of the Smithville Dambusters RC Club, and if anyone is in the Kansas City area and wants to stop by, we would love to have you as a guest!!!

Here is a link to our facebook page, hope you stop by and take a look!!! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Smithville-DamBusters-RC/283963961629738

Last edited:

hbc865

I just paid 58bucks AMA card!

I just found this insurance group as I was searching for info on AMA claims. I'd be really nervous for this one, unless they are affiliated with a reputable insurance provider. At least AMA is a well established organization. They are definitely named to sound like the AMA. Sketchy....

http://www.sportfliers.com/insurance.html

So I wonder if i will be covered at any of the AMA approved flying parks ? I just fly an old Easy Star and a AR Drone2,0
I feel like I got duped getting a AMA Card

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
So I wonder if i will be covered at any of the AMA approved flying parks ? I just fly an old Easy Star and a AR Drone2,0
I feel like I got duped getting a AMA Card

I really don't think you were duped at all.

It is really no different than having insurance on your car, if you don't need it you think "What am I paying for?" until you do need it and you will be very happy you have it.

As long as you are following AMA rules when flying, you will be covered if you damage property and or a person.

Of course it will not replace a plane if you crash it, but it is a great deal, plus you get Model Aviation magazine which is worth 1/2 of what you paid.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Ive thought about joining but since R/C aircraft does not seem to be a big thing in my area. I have a state park that has huge wide open fields that ive been flying in. Maybe once i get better at it I'll look at going to the field that is close to me that requires the ama.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
You are correct Bicyclemonkey, I forgot about the Park Pilot Program...

DAFBFD58, without knowing the particulars on the $20.00 a month insurance it could be hit or miss.

The program that Bicyclemonkey suggested may be your best bet right now then.

Happy Flying!!!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I'm glad to see that this thread is still in use. I hope that people are at least thinking about protecting themselves.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
If the following doesn't persuade one to become a member of the AMA, nothing will...

Back in November my 6x12 enclosed airplane trailer was stolen. I had only had it a few months and hadn't added it to my auto insurance yet. I thought I was SOL!!! Today when I was browsing the AMA website to provide a link for another flitetest thread, a list of AMA member benefits caught my eye. One of the insurance benefits said "theft/fire". I was aware of the AMA insurance covering things like property damage etc. I called the extension, spoke to a nice lady and she emailed me the claim forms. For a $100 deductible, they're going to make a $1000 settlement on the theft of my airplane trailer!

The insurance covers theft or vandalization of models and equipment also. Totally worth it, you'll be glad you had it when you need it. If it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone!

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
You are correct Bicyclemonkey, I forgot about the Park Pilot Program...

DAFBFD58, without knowing the particulars on the $20.00 a month insurance it could be hit or miss.

The program that Bicyclemonkey suggested may be your best bet right now then.

Happy Flying!!!

the thing is I fly in fields that are away from vehicles. The only thing that I can hit are trees or the ground.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
That's great to know. I was unaware of the theft portion.

You know, it's not for everyone. If you are in a private place with no chance of hurting anyone or damaging anything then it doesn't make sense for you to pay for the coverage. However, if you have even one person with you and they get hurt by your model it could make all the difference for you. I'm not saying everyone needs this, I only encourage everyone to weigh the benefits and if it applies to them they should take advantage of the benefits.

One benefit for me is the option of flying at the nicest field in the state. The midnight sun rc club requires AMA membership to fly at their field. That's wise of them. Plus since even my park fliers could do a lot of damage to one of their hand built 100" gassers, it's wise for me to have it. The side benefit is that the insurance still covers me when I fly at home should a model lose control and cause harm.

earthsciteach

I received my AMA card in the mail today. I would not have joined were it not for Flite Test Flite Fest. I'm more than happy to join AMA for the opportunity to fly with the FT community this summer!

gbop

That's great to know. I was unaware of the theft portion.

You know, it's not for everyone. If you are in a private place with no chance of hurting anyone or damaging anything then it doesn't make sense for you to pay for the coverage. However, if you have even one person with you and they get hurt by your model it could make all the difference for you. I'm not saying everyone needs this, I only encourage everyone to weigh the benefits and if it applies to them they should take advantage of the benefits.

One benefit for me is the option of flying at the nicest field in the state. The midnight sun rc club requires AMA membership to fly at their field. That's wise of them. Plus since even my park fliers could do a lot of damage to one of their hand built 100" gassers, it's wise for me to have it. The side benefit is that the insurance still covers me when I fly at home should a model lose control and cause harm.

Do you know if the AMA Park Flyer membership is for "approved" park flying fields only? I have read all the details and still cannot find where it talks about where you can fly. I only have foamers 2lbs or under and would follow all of their guidelines but I don't want to purchase the park flyer for my son and I if it does not cover going to public parks or if there is restrictions on which parks i can go to and other restrictions that they may have on flying at a park down the road, that so far, has been great to fly at .... we wait till no one is there walking their dogs or kicking a ball around...we make sure it's completely empty. in the summer its a soccer field but again, we only fly when it's empty. Thanks for your post and the information you have provided!! Very helpful!

skymaster

Elite member
Y not start our own insurance there is enough of us. if no one has an accident our funds will build for any emergency. has any one file a claim and succeeded whit the claim. or did they just told you to speak to you home insurance. if that is the case what is the point of AMA?

PoorManRC

Master member
I'm not sure what my local Club is like... I live in a big City (AREA wise anyway), but it's almost 30 miles away, as I'm on the polar opposite side of Town. 😞
For me, it's an expense I sadly can't do often.....

Fortunately, I know at least two good guys who are members there - @mrjdstewart and @Rasterize
I just wish I could afford the AMA Membership. The insurance alone would be worth it. I couldn't imagine being as dead broke as I am, HITTING something - or worse, someone!

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
I stopped flying at parks long ago as it was a hassle. To many dogs and soccer moms. As for the AMA, I would love to do a two year again but I'm getting laid off next month so I don't know what I'm going to do. Not sure if my club allows the Park Flyer as an approved AMA membership. :(

PoorManRC

Master member
I stopped flying at parks long ago as it was a hassle. To many dogs and soccer moms. As for the AMA, I would love to do a two year again but I'm getting laid off next month so I don't know what I'm going to do. Not sure if my club allows the Park Flyer as an approved AMA membership. :(
Sorry, I thought you were still a member.
Time for me, has been flying by way too quickly these days...