Radians Seem to be lacking competitoin

crash bandicoot

I emailed Chris about this, but
I think it is interesting that there are not many 3 channel powered gliders out there. There are a lot of powered gliders around with ailerons, but I think part of the charm of the Radian is the 3 channel simplicity, and how easy that makes it to fly. I have looked for a 3 channel motor glider that is not a Radian, and have not found many choices.

Does anybody else have ideas? The closest thing I can come up with is the HK walrus, but then you would need to put the Radian wings on it...
I'm suprised nobody has tried to give the Radian some competition!

crash bandicoot

I have to agree that the simple soar is close, and even the FT explorer in 3 channel mode. So far those are my alternatives.
I will say that I lost my Radian to a tree, but I don't want to drop another $180 on another one, so I have been looking for something else, and it looks like that will be the Hobbyking Walrus with a set of radian wings rigged on it.

I already bought a set of replacement radian wings thinking my Radian would fall out of the evil tree, but it fell out 6 months later, and someone got it before I did. :(

Oh and NerdNic I still need to build your DLG before I can make a Radian.
But if you haven't flown a Radian, they live up to all the things that Chris, Mike, Andre, and all of the guys say about them.

Last edited:

mrwzrd59

Old Guy Geek
I didn't consider the Radian when I bought my Calypso and it flies fine. I can keep it aloft for very long duration by finding thermals over the school parking lot behind my house. It's a "lawnchair" plane in my book....Just climb out, look for the bump and gently roll into it. A climb out of sight is possible, but my neck gets tired!
One thing I did with mine was to change out the factory installed ESC because it wouldn't go into brake to stop the folding prop....I run a Castle 25A now and way less drag at zero throttle. Been looking at the Multiplex Heron though.....Also see myself going big with an ASW 20 from Hangar 9 but it wont fit in my Jeep!

Winglet

I own a Walrus and fly it quite a bit. I'm a 3 channel guy at heart but happily fly my Walrus 5 channel/w Flaps. I would not consider for a minute adapting Radian wings to it. It is a very gentle and great gliding sailplane. The rudder is very effective. I favor the rudder over the ailerons in thermals and at slow speeds. The ailerons are there and add a little fun. The flaps are really needed for landings as the thing has such a long flat glide it takes forever to land. I found mine on sale awhile back. Seemed like it was half the price of a Radian and might just be a better airplane? I'd say just go for a stock Radian. It is a super machine. The stickers that come on it are cheezy and don't stick very well. I removed then and replaced with packing tape. Worked great. Walrus.jpg

crash bandicoot

Thanks for the info winglet, and of course earth sci.
Mrwzrd, the calypso seems like a nice plane. And I'm hoping to get a sore neck sometime next spring, as my warm flying season is almost over.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
There are lots of alternatives to the Radian. You're really missing out if you stick to foam gliders...they just don't have the performance of the real thing.

I'd say one good competitor, though, to the Radian, would be the FMS Fox. It's nice and big, docile in flight, and has the legs to get out to the lift and then get back, even in wind.

If you're willing to do some assembly, the Hobbyking "Big E-Fair" is way better than the Radian.

Hobbyking sells, or at least used to sell, a 2 meter called the Deamon. It's a very, very good performing airplane. Unlimited vertical in the climb, but it really floats beautifully. Not a beginner's model since it'll punch through 100 mph pretty quick in a shallow dive.

Art Hobby sells some really nice gliders...some of them are quite affordable (we're moving up in performance as the suggestions go on here). Quite rugged airplanes too.

If you can find a kit for it, the Sagitta is a real performer. Very wide speed envelope. Not hard to convert it, or the Mirage, or the Aquilla to electric power, and all three remain competitive with modern sailplanes.

If money is no object, all of the above pale in comparison to this guy: Kennedy Composites Electron I flew one this past weekend. At $470 for the airframe, it's really a lot of airplane for the money. Amazing wind penetration, and it will thermal off of the slightest wif of rising air. It's also *very* easy to fly...nothing intimidating about it at all. On a small Hyperion GS-30 series outrunner and a 2s 1200, it has unlimited vertical.

Edit
Just saw that you're looking for non-aileron airplanes. So...

The E-Fair has ailerons, but I'm told that it flies fine using just rudder and elevator. Art Hobby sells several rudder-elevator models...they fly great.

The Electron is Rudder-Elevator-Flap. You only use the flaps for landing, and for thermal optimization mode if you wish to do that.

Most of the big thermal duration models are some variation on rudder-elevator. You need either flaps or spoilers to get them down. No, really. You'll never get it to land where you want it without them. They fly that well.

Almost all of the older wood gliders are rudder-elevator control. This includes the Gentle Lady, Olympic, Sagitta, Aquila, Mirage, Paragon, Bird of Time, etc. All of these require conversion to electric if that's what you're after. It's a piece of cake to do it and you're missing out if you don't.

RES gliders are very popular these days, including the Ava, Pulsar, Bubble Dancer, etc. Expensive birds, but they're easy to fly.

Let's not forget the Bird of Time as a very good economy class 3-meter (and still one of the greatest glider designs in history--still very competitive). It's two channel and you can drop in an e-power system as a substitute for the ballast needed to balance it. Have fun getting it to come down though! Available in kit or ARF form.

Last edited:

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
Thanks for this list FAI-F1D. As a Radian flyer it's hard to imagine something that flies better and is more fun that my Radian.
I appreciate the experience that you bring.

Best regards,
PCH

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Thanks for this list FAI-F1D. As a Radian flyer it's hard to imagine something that flies better and is more fun that my Radian.
I appreciate the experience that you bring.

Glad to be of help. :) The Radian is most certainly one of the best things ever to happen to R/C. It's probably the best trainer on the market. The sad bit is that foam has become so pervasive that few people know what it's like to fly a wood aircraft anymore. While I was at HHAEFI this past weekend I flew a couple of foamies and then went back to flying my Filip...almost lost control of it because I was in "slow airplane mode". When you open the throttle on a clean airframe, look out. The acceleration is truly awesome. It's also awesome if you just put in a touch of down elevator while gliding. :D

crash1414

FTafterhours podcast host
Apparently the Radian is not set up optimally. This video is quite interesting.

Since I have a few Radians I decided to give these changes a test a couple years ago. Now this is just my opinion and I'm far from being a high level glider pilot.... Sooo the modified Radian was very sensitive and did react to showing thermals better but I did notice u had to be more on your toes flying it. To me it lost that real relaxed feeling I love about the Radian. If there is hardly any wind and not much thermal activity I might break out the modified version and work on my thermal skills but if it's windy or I just want a more relaxing flight I'll take the stock one anyway-Chris