Scale Build Off - Scratchbuilt 96" P-38 Lightning

joker24458

Yes! This thing is gonna be sweet.

Thanks NerdNic! I've looked at your nnP-38, it looks amazing! Seems like our builds are quite different though, which makes sense considering the difference in size and purposes....yours will probably go about 15 times the speed of mine easily. I also saw your new micro Sabre, it looks great....might have to build myself one if I can find some parts for it

joker24458

Wow, you can really crank these out pretty quick!

Haha, to be honest I wish I could have more time to spend on them. This one as well as the 109 last year were/are both quite rushed since I started them late (need to get it flying for the NEF event).

If I had more time (and more channels on my radio....have a DX7s atm with one more model memory to go, only have 6ch receivers, differential thrust brings available channels on this build to 5 which really sucks) I would do more things such as more scale detail, dual stage/type flaps (for "combat" flaps (split flaps which decreased P-38 turning radius) and fowler, right now I am only doing fowler), LED machine guns/cannon with sound, retractable landing gear, canopy open/close etc....so basically I need a new radio and more time. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

joker24458

A little update: I have to get the Lightning in flying condition by March 6th, as that is the only indoor at the Akron NEF venue before the actual NEF event. Just flyable, which means no paint, no details, probably no canopy or spinners as well. So before then I have to mount the wings (cut holes for spars and figure out how to secure it, install aileron servos and flap servos, attach the tail fins to the booms, install ALL the servo/control surface linkages, set up the fowler flap mechanism (if I can't do this before the 6th, it will be going there flapless for now), hope that the wheels get here in time and install them, sheet the inboard wing panels with foam, and cover up the rest of the airframe (cockpit nacelle/booms) with 80+ pieces of foam. Hopefully the joints between the covering of the inboard wing panels and fuselage/booms will come out good so I will have to do minimal work on those.

Then, before the NEF event rolls around on the 18th, I need to finish up whatever I didn't finish from the list above, make any necessary access panels, make the cockpit, sand everything down, add filler if necessary and if I have time, sand again, airbrush with all scale details with some things printed out on tissue paper (not the Kleenex kind :D) if necessary, add guns, make more scale looking landing gear w/ gear doors, make spinners, add the superchargers to the booms, add cockpit detail like a seat/instrument panel/yoke if I have time....

Overall, very tight on time so wish me luck :D:D

joker24458

So over the weekend and today I have mounted the wings, completed the ailerons, set up tail linkages, set up the fowler flaps on the inboard wing panels (outboard fowler flaps will probably be built/installed after the maiden), and covered most of the inboard wing panels. I have to say those fowler flaps was the single hardest part of the build and a real PITA to get set up and working properly. But now they are working, its so smooth and I am very glad I took the time to do it. :D

I will post up some pictures of my progress tomorrow. :)

joker24458

Very nice! Looking forward to seeing her at flite fest. We should try to get a warbird flight going this year.

Thanks! :) I'm not sure if I'll be bringing her to FliteFest; last year the car and as already packed completely full so I'm not sure how we would fit it in there. Also this plane will be very light for its size (1100 to 1200 grams estimated AUW, overshooting the original estimate by a couple hundred grams :rolleyes: but it will still have a low wing loading. Therefore it won't handle any winds above a steady 3-4mph really and would get beat up a lot outdoors unless it was a perfectly calm day. However (if it's done in time) she will definitely be at the NEF event in Akron Ohio. It's not a huge event but it is definitely worth coming to if you live a couple hours away, some people I know have traveled from farther as well. I may take the 109 and the Lightning to some other indoor events like Horizon Indoor this year as well, who knows. :D

By the way anyone know how to easily post pictures on here with a mobile device (iPhone specifically)? My pictures are showing up as too large a file size to be posted. Don't remember how I did it last time on my phone but it still screwed it up. A suggestion to the FT guys (although I know they are very busy already): could make a more mobile-friendly version of the forums. Or maybe the app that combines all the FT content that has been rumored about for a while, it would be nice to have he forums in there too.

joker24458

Ok finally found some spare time to upload pictures from my laptop instead.

Progress has been slow due to lots of homework :mad: but it's still progress right?

Got the fowler flaps working. They don't extend as far back as the full scale, but the mechanism would not have fit inside the airfoil if I made it any larger. I already had to cut out some foam, as it was rubbing/catching on the bottom of the airfoil and would jam. Only have the two inboard wing panels fitted with the flaps at the moment and they are working great, sooooo smooth.....:D It was probably the hardest/most frustrating part of the build so far, still have to find some time to make the outboard flaps but that will likely come after the maiden is complete (and hopefully successful :D).

IMG_3046.JPG IMG_3047.JPG IMG_3053.JPG IMG_3054.JPG IMG_3055.JPG IMG_3078.JPG IMG_3079.JPG IMG_3080.JPG IMG_3081.JPG IMG_3087.JPG IMG_3092.JPG IMG_3093.JPG IMG_3094.JPG IMG_3095.JPG IMG_3125.JPG IMG_3126.JPG

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Great work as usual. I'm impressed with the work on the fowler flaps. They are a PITA.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
To true! They are a pain to get the geometry right. Looking at the size of this thing I just got a big chuckle out of how TINY the motors are. I love how foam is deceiving that way.

joker24458

Great work as usual. I'm impressed with the work on the fowler flaps. They are a PITA.

Thanks! I will probably upload a video of the fowler flaps sometime when they are all done.

Wilsonman - yeah they are Emax CF2822 1200kv motors. About 39 grams. Same motor I have on the Messerschmitt.

If someone can find an electric 3 bladed prop at least 13-14" diameter that is lightweight and preferably scale looking with both CW and CCW, please let me know!! :D

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Thanks! I will probably upload a video of the fowler flaps sometime when they are all done.

Wilsonman - yeah they are Emax CF2822 1200kv motors. About 39 grams. Same motor I have on the Messerschmitt.

If someone can find an electric 3 bladed prop at least 13-14" diameter that is lightweight and preferably scale looking with both CW and CCW, please let me know!! :D

Xoar has some electric 3 blade props in that range but I don't see any CCW. I think that is going to be tough to find. I've never tried it myself but have seen others re-engineer 3 bladed props from multiple 2 bladed props, and APC has plenty of electric options in both CW and CCW. I'm afraid I don't know of a better option.

aeroncalover

It shouldn't do that....
Buy two 3 blade props in any orientation, CW or CCW and paint them to be scale. Then find 2 more 2 bladed props that are CW and CCW and use those to fly with. The 3 bladed props will just be for display, and you can swap the props for scale appearance. A lot of super-scale guys will do this, especially for things like C-130's that have very "paddle" shaped props that are hard to find for models.

joker24458

Xoar has some electric 3 blade props in that range but I don't see any CCW. I think that is going to be tough to find. I've never tried it myself but have seen others re-engineer 3 bladed props from multiple 2 bladed props, and APC has plenty of electric options in both CW and CCW. I'm afraid I don't know of a better option.

I'm looking at these right now. Problem is it's only 11" diameter and would look tiny on the Lightning.

http://www.hobbyexpress.com/scale_3_blade_11_x_10_variable_pitch_prop_18579_prd1.htm

joker24458

Buy two 3 blade props in any orientation, CW or CCW and paint them to be scale. Then find 2 more 2 bladed props that are CW and CCW and use those to fly with. The 3 bladed props will just be for display, and you can swap the props for scale appearance. A lot of super-scale guys will do this, especially for things like C-130's that have very "paddle" shaped props that are hard to find for models.

I was considering that. Now I just need to find a prop that is big enough to look scale.....:rolleyes:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Yeah, I've even seen scale guys use a 2-blade prop and drill holes in the side of the hub. When its on the ground they have dummy blades they plug into the holes to make it a 4-blade prop.

joker24458

Yeah, I've even seen scale guys use a 2-blade prop and drill holes in the side of the hub. When its on the ground they have dummy blades they plug into the holes to make it a 4-blade prop.

That's not a bad idea. I'll see what I can do with the time I have left. Making the plane flyable and painted is more important atm.

I will hopefully be maidening this Sunday. I will be sure to have someone take video.....

joker24458

Ok, I am going to the Akron indoor fly in a few minutes. Maiden will be in about an hour. I will have someone take video and will upload it to Youtube for sure.

Just a note - I sanded away the ugly edges/corners between the fuse/boom covering panels but didn't grab any pictures of it. I will later and you'll see what I'm talking about. :D

IMG_3141.JPG IMG_3143.JPG IMG_3145.JPG IMG_3149.JPG IMG_3151.JPG IMG_3153.JPG IMG_3162.JPG IMG_3164.JPG IMG_3166.JPG IMG_3170.JPG IMG_3171.JPG IMG_3172.JPG IMG_3175.JPG IMG_3179.JPG IMG_3184.JPG