Show us your maidens!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
haha I wanna do that with TAZ when I am there. Do a whole length of field run back along the bean line and hit it with the speed gun to see where I stand. Ill be tuning for 5s as soon as this dam weather breaks a bit. Coming up on three weeks solid of winds an rain here..

HilldaFlyer

Here is a maiden of my 3rd version FA18E. It is based on the previous 2 "super sized" versions but has a larger motor and is built from fiberglassed foam board.
Enjoy

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wow nice! That one is ready for color and a ride to FFO. That launched like you been flyin it for a long time

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Oh I have no doubt it was a maiden. I was just stating it flew like an old buddy you been flying for a while hehe. Paint that puppy up and make her look all pretty for FFO. Time is gettin short.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Maiden was today - not by me but by Dave a very experienced pilot. His verdict? It's right good.
Broke the prop on landing and didn't have a spare so just the one flight

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That looks soooo smooth in the air. Even the FPV footage was no where near as "turbulent" as expected without actually seeing that view while flying. Great job Joshua. Did you by chance put the Bugatti up while there and if so is there any footage of that to go with this one?

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Sadly, The Bugatti did not go up. It was not for a lack of trying! We broke 4 or 5 props in the process. Since the Flex Innovations guys were on-site doing classes and all sorts of good stuff, I gave them the Bugatti as a challenge to put on their Aura system. The system is all installed and setup and I wanted to fly her but the dreaded CG issue showed it's face again. She just kept tipping over. Such a pain.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
No way to rake the gear a bit more forward to help with that maybe? Even if they don't retract till the happy place is found?

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I went through two other iterations of the landing gear on her during the build. It is very tricky geometry. It’s impossible to rake the gear forward any more and still have the gear retract.

danbob

My modified FT spitfire had its maiden yesterday, This is my first scratch build (previously built the kit).
Plane flew straight with no trim needed, but is way too heavy for my liking.
Tail snapped off on landing when a small gust caught it just before touching down.
I've stripped about 250g off it by removing landing gear and the extra weight it needed to balance, is all glued and ready for round two :)

Attachments

• IMG_20180521_182706[1].jpg
    IMG_20180521_182706[1].jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180521_182717[1].jpg
    IMG_20180521_182717[1].jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0

DharanFlyer

This was actually my second flight. Forgot to hit record for the first. Very similar. I tried a loop on the first pack that didn't end well.

Blade Torrent on 3S 450mah at the Grundy Area Aeromodeler's field after our monthly meeting.

Namactual

Elite member
Boy was it windy today!
Not the best time to attempt a maiden...
...and fly low...
...and try a immelman at low level...
...and decide to bail at the last second when hit by a wind gust...
...after I bled off all of my energy...

Oh well, that's how I roll.:devilish:
...and crash...:cautious:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Oh you faker!!! You meant to do that!!.

That Marine was only doing his duty by parking on the side of the road to wait for a sailor to go by so he could handle his luggage for him ;):D:eek:o_O (hides behind furniture til Cranial sees this and I can tell if its safe to come out)

Looks like it performed well actually under the flying conditions. I would call that a successful flight by any account.

Namactual

Elite member
Actually, I was quite surprised how well it handled those wind gusts. It was almost like drifting in the turns. It's hard to tell in the vid, but when I would turn with the wind and had it under 50% throttle I had no roll authority. That was a bit disconcerting.

It was a last minute decision to try to fly today. I had written it off because of the forecast and it did rain early in the morning. The afternoon cleared up and when I went outside there was not much wind at all. So I charged my batteries and headed off to the field. Between the charge, travel time and an unexpected field retrofit, it was 2 hours later and the wind had picked up something fierce by then.

I almost called an audible, but I figured what the hay? I can always build another.
I am just as glad I did not have to though.