Sig 1/4 Clipped Winged Cub and time to change my Avatar

cyclone3350

Master member
Those instruments look great and so does everything else.

I see U R making progress on yours also. I think U R going to like Oratex. I have used it for the first time on my 110" Rascal Chines knock off and was very pleased with it. This one will be covered with it too.

cyclone3350

Master member
Instrument panel is done. First, I want to make a disdainer to explain how this type of panel made it to a J3. The Cub I am replicating is explained in this EAA article along with all it's mods. The panel is two pieces of .020 polystyrene plastic and the instruments R pictures from various aircraft suppliers and saved as a jpg. They R printed out on glossy photo paper and glue behind the first piece. Then the final backing is added behind that. Clear plastic circles were cut and glued behind the round bezels before that was glued in place. I used pins to replicate the mounting screws and were painted with Testors gun metal metalizer paint. A paper pattern was made to unsure consistent placement of the screws and a pin vise made the holes for the pins to slide in. Wire cutters trimmed off the excess.

IMG_4944 (2).JPG

Attachments

• vertigo_n26868.pdf
    6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4931 (1).JPG
    IMG_4931 (1).JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4937.JPG
    IMG_4937.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4938.JPG
    IMG_4938.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4939.JPG
    IMG_4939.JPG
    980.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4940.JPG
    IMG_4940.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4941.JPG
    IMG_4941.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Instrument panel is done. First, I want to make a disdainer to explain how this type of panel made it to a J3. The Cub I am replicating is explained in this EAA article along with all it's mods. The panel is two pieces of .020 polystyrene plastic and the instruments R pictures from various aircraft suppliers and saved as a jpg. They R printed out on glossy photo paper and glue behind the first piece. Then the final backing is added behind that. Clear plastic circles were cut and glued behind the round bezels before that was glued in place. I used pins to replicate the mounting screws and were painted with Testors gun metal metalizer paint. A paper pattern was made to unsure consistent placement of the screws and a pin vise made the holes for the pins to slide in. Wire cutters trimmed off the excess.

View attachment 208292
All I can say is WOW! Think I'm going to have to up my game for this challenge. Awesome work you got going on this one(y)(y)

cyclone3350

Master member
Time to vent out. I am tired of being an old guy doing old school.

I have been working on this metal fitting set for the seat belts all day and was hoping to have it done.. I made a single blank for the various parts and then replicated it in silicone putty for resin casting. I will have about 7+ hours in just these parts without painting and assembly. This is starting to drag on taking the fun out of it. I am asking you 3D printer folks to take a look @ what I have and tell how long it would take to deign and print it out. The pieces themselves R about 15 - 20mm in length and width and about 2mm thick. 3/4 of an inch or less by 3/32 thick for us US readers. I am asking because, I think I need to save some time and new toy for my work shop.

IMG_4956 (002).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4946.JPG
    IMG_4946.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4947.JPG
    IMG_4947.JPG
  • IMG_4948.JPG
    IMG_4948.JPG
  • IMG_4949.JPG
    IMG_4949.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4950.JPG
    IMG_4950.JPG

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Time to vent out. I am tired of being an old guy doing old school.

I have been working on this metal fitting set for the seat belts all day and was hoping to have it done.. I made a single blank for the various parts and then replicated it in silicone putty for resin casting. I will have about 7+ hours in just these parts without painting and assembly. This is starting to drag on taking the fun out of it. I am asking you 3D printer folks to take a look @ what I have and tell how long it would take to deign and print it out. The pieces themselves R about 15 - 20mm in length and width and about 2mm thick. 3/4 of an inch or less by 3/32 thick for us US readers. I am asking because, I think I need to save some time and new toy for my work shop.

View attachment 208409
Holy crap! yep you need a 3d printer. Hoping Santa is gonna drop one off for me this year:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Will you install a pilot? If nobody's in the cockpit I would argue there's no need for belts... or seats... or any cockpit at all ;)

cyclone3350

Master member
Will you install a pilot? If nobody's in the cockpit I would argue there's no need for belts... or seats... or any cockpit at all ;)

Right now, the plan is to eventual to see how the belts will work with a pilot. The initial flight test will be without. The primary purpose here is a dry run for the next cub build. I actually intend to build a L-4 using carbon fiber tubes and factory drawings to replicate the tube frame and go all out scale.

Tench745

Master member
I would suggest a resin printer for fine scale modelling stuff like this, and not the filament style that has become the standard we think of when hearing "3D printer" The parts aren't as strong, but you get much higher fidelity parts with less post-processing.

cyclone3350

Master member
I would suggest a resin printer for fine scale modelling stuff like this, and not the filament style that has become the standard we think of when hearing "3D printer" The parts aren't as strong, but you get much higher fidelity parts with less post-processing.

Haven't heard of a resin printer. I will definitely look into it to see if that is more fitting for my needs. Thanks.

cyclone3350

Master member
Got the floor boards done and did some dry fitting to see how everything looks together. The only thing left is to make a control stick for the rear seat. Now I have to fabricate the wing struts and drill out the holes for the main gear and should get to the covering soon. Had to make the front seat removable via magnets as the battery tray wont fit with it in.

IMG_4980.JPG
IMG_4983.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4985.JPG
    IMG_4985.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0

cyclone3350

Master member
This is it for detailing the cockpit. Control stick done. Won't put one up front, as the front seat will be removed for flight to fit the battery tray. As U can see, it is held in by magnets. I like the way @Ratcheeroo make use of the black paper of DTFB, that I peeled some off and used it to cover the floor boards. I used Testors Decal Bonder to water proof it.

IMG_4994.JPG
IMG_4995.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4989.JPG
    IMG_4989.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4993.JPG
    IMG_4993.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4990.JPG
    IMG_4990.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4991.JPG
    IMG_4991.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
This is it for detailing the cockpit. Control stick done. Won't put one up front, as the front seat will be removed for flight to fit the battery tray. As U can see, it is held in by magnets. I like the way @Ratcheeroo make use of the black paper of DTFB, that I peeled some off and used it to cover the floor boards. I used Testors Decal Bonder to water proof it.

View attachment 208656 View attachment 208655
Wow, that looks absolutely incredible!

cyclone3350

Master member
The main gear is done, fitted and operational. All that is left is to paint and cover. This now, gives me the opportunity to start fabricating the wing struts. The gear is from a H9 Cub that I bought as wreck for the parts. What a pain in the ants to get it to fit. First, where the blind nuts go, I had to trim keep from interfering with the seat magnets as well as grove out the rear hardwood maple support. Then the angle on the center bungee support had to be increased to make up for the fuse being narrower than the H9. Finally the bungee tubes hade to be shortened a 1/4in. It is on, and was a lot cheaper than buying the Robart scale gear.

IMG_5015.JPG
IMG_5010.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5001.JPG
    IMG_5001.JPG
  • IMG_5003.JPG
    IMG_5003.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5006 (1).JPG
    IMG_5006 (1).JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5005 (1).JPG
    IMG_5005 (1).JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5009.JPG
    IMG_5009.JPG
  • IMG_5004.JPG
    IMG_5004.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 0

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
The main gear is done, fitted and operational. All that is left is to paint and cover. This now, gives me the opportunity to start fabricating the wing struts. The gear is from a H9 Cub that I bought as wreck for the parts. What a pain in the ants to get it to fit. First, where the blind nuts go, I had to trim keep from interfering with the seat magnets as well as grove out the rear hardwood maple support. Then the angle on the center bungee support had to be increased to make up for the fuse being narrower than the H9. Finally the bungee tubes hade to be shortened a 1/4in. It is on, and was a lot cheaper than buying the Robart scale gear.

View attachment 208920 View attachment 208927
That gear is incredible,what a build you have going there my friend, wow. What I am doing does'nt even compare to this, WOW!

cyclone3350

Master member
That gear is incredible,what a build you have going there my friend, wow. What I am doing does'nt even compare to this, WOW!

Many thanks @Ratcheeroo. I dunno, I've done some fancy foam boards before, but never could design one in the speed and quality that U produce. That Cobra skin scheme is going to be hard for U to top on your next one.