Sig Kadet Senior build thread.

liamnave

flyboy
Wait... are you supposed to build each wing as two pieces, or is each wing one piece? I gota go, post pics later.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
As I read the plans, the left and right wing are each one piece, which are joined in the middle to give you the proper dihedral.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
RCMAN gave me a tip the other day to look at other kit instructions for answers to my kit build and it was good advice. I have been reading through some other kits and found a lot of helpful hints on questions I have during my T-Craft build. That is if you have the time...

liamnave

flyboy
where would you find instructions for other kits, without buying them? Although the kadet actually has a pretty good instruction manual with lots of tips and stuff like that!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Don't get too used to nice instruction manuals or clear instructions. So many kits on the market include very little help for the builder. To be fair, many aren't designed for novice builders and the feeling is "if you need to ask, this kit is too advanced for you". :). That's part of the reason I like the Kadet series for new builders, Sig tries to make it easy.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
where would you find instructions for other kits, without buying them? Although the kadet actually has a pretty good instruction manual with lots of tips and stuff like that!

Go to Tower Hobbies website and they have free instructions for the kits sold. You will see the pdf files towards the bottom of the product page. I have a few Great Planes and Sig instructions that have some great info. I also read through them before purchasing a new kit or deciding which kit to buy.

liamnave

flyboy
A little, all I've done since my last post was finish the wing tip and sand that half of the wing. Unfourtanalty there something wrong with my computer so I don't have photos. Actually... I'll send the photos to my mom on upload them from her computer, may take a few minuets

liamnave

flyboy
20170624_160405.jpg

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
With mine I'm going with a .46 equivalent on 5 cells. That combination works great on a few other larger planes I have like this.

liamnave

flyboy
Ok, so, I haven't updated the thread in while cause I've been redoing my room with new beds, nightstands, bookcases and shelves. So now I actually have room to put my stuff. I tried to go start my second wing, but it gets so hot in the garage, usually about 10 degrees hotter then outside. I should be able to get more work done tonight when it cools off tho. Just a quick update.

Papa Pat

Ok, so, I haven't updated the thread in while cause I've been redoing my room with new beds, nightstands, bookcases and shelves. So now I actually have room to put my stuff. I tried to go start my second wing, but it gets so hot in the garage, usually about 10 degrees hotter then outside. I should be able to get more work done tonight when it cools off tho. Just a quick update.

Tell your dad you will give him back the garage if he gives you the living room, LOL.

liamnave

flyboy
starting work on second wing
my computer is again having issues uploading pics, so I'll have to work that out later sorry :(

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
The second wing, that's where things start to get BIG! A couple areas to watch - the wing tips and the center section are sheeted. That sheeting is usually installed into slightly recessed areas in the wing so everything is nice and flat when it's time to cover the plane. Pay careful attention to the plans when you're working on those areas. Also note that the two wing pieces are glued together to form a dihedral, as the wing isn't flat. Without this dihedral and without ailerons you're going to have a very short first flight!

liamnave

flyboy
Okay, so it been a while do to some things going on in my family but i'm ready to start building again! One question I had, wherever i look I van not find a recommended prop size. Do you know what the prop recommendation is?

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
On my Turnigy G46 and with a 5 cell battery I'm using a 12x6, which is the recommended size for the motor. Different motors and cell counts will call for different props. Are you going gas, glow, or electric?