'SPIT' roasted FB

Wildthing

Legendary member
I'm wanting to build the, Rascal and just need some help and thought for a first DT build that pre-cut would be ideal. And as a matter of fact I do need everything else! All I have is an XK a800 with a bad flight board. Well not bad but I need to tear the plane apart to resolder the power wire but I don't have a soldering iron. Sigh

You need to start a shopping list :)

mayan

Legendary member
I agree save the shipping cost and use those few buck to buy some DTFB, hot glue, etc. It will be be worth more on the long run.

basslord1124

Master member
Update...

Had a small setback with mine but nothing too major. While trying to find a good balance I had to add a few small weights PLUS shift the receiver and ESC forward. As a result, I still need to add an extension to one of my servo wires. Once that is done, I can charge up a battery and go!

mayan

Legendary member
Update...

Had a small setback with mine but nothing too major. While trying to find a good balance I had to add a few small weights PLUS shift the receiver and ESC forward. As a result, I still need to add an extension to one of my servo wires. Once that is done, I can charge up a battery and go!
Let us know how it went I personally recommend this bird to anyone wanting to set up from a trainer.

I wont be able to fly mine any time soon, cuz I think I killed the motor... :/
Ouch!

Marty72

Elite member
Corona build underway. I cut out the templates and the plane is complete. I've got a few details I'd like to work and then to the paint. I am wondering about a a template for a canopy. Not the super simple canopy (straight line turtle deck to turtle deck) but something a little more realistic. Wildthing made one that looked good. Oh, and Caroline's plane is amazing, work of art!
Here's Wildthing's Template?

264936_bb4eb8040e5e9b00f32fcf2e929c9c7e.jpg

Here's my progress.......I'll be spending some time trying to get the paint right.

IMG_2373.JPG

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Corona build underway. I cut out the templates and the plane is complete. I've got a few details I'd like to work and then to the paint. I am wondering about a a template for a canopy. Not the super simple canopy (straight line turtle deck to turtle deck) but something a little more realistic. Wildthing made one that looked good. Oh, and Caroline's plane is amazing, work of art!

View attachment 163153

Here's my progress.......I'll be spending some time trying to get the paint right.

View attachment 163154
Here is my progress; I've since moved the motor back almost flush. Still need to clean it up and add servos at the rear and smooth things out.

Attachments

• IMG_20200321_235310.jpg
    IMG_20200321_235310.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member

View attachment 163153

View attachment 163154

That looks really good.

Marty72

Elite member
More progress, I used plain old copy paper as a template, wasn't sure it would work but the approach was to go light on spraying the paper, and try and use it as an online only. To my surprise it worked, a few things I'm going to fix (pattern glitches) but I'm amazed it worked as well as it did and didn't take that much time. I've spent more time masking to put stripes on planes than this. BTW, this is my favorite part of any build, I just love the detail work. Now, it will be no where near the Caroline class of detail but enough for me (at this point).
IMG_2377.JPG
IMG_2376.JPG

I weighed the plane before minwax and paint, it was 460 grams w/ everything except the battery. It will be interesting to see my weight gain due after all the detail work. This is the same weight as the Simple Scout with paint. The Simple Scout with a C pack motor and a 9x6 was a rocket, flew way faster than it's suppose to. The Spit has a smaller profile than the P 40, is considerably lighter, so my guess it will fly faster with the C pack. If not, I'll super charge it with a Rimfire.