Mentor
Kind of stock:
Flite Test C Radial
Flite Test 35A ESC w/XT-60 Connector
8x6 or 9x4.7
Nothing exciting. :sleep:

Jimun

Elite member
Amazing how much happens on this thread. It takes me awhile to catch up.
Everyone is welcome.
I am excited to see all of the creations in the making and to see all these birds fly. I have not started yet. I want to try a second maiden on my corsair and then try to get the Spit started. I have not got around to check out any mods I want to do yet. I do like your skin @Rasterize it looks awesome. I hope we see more pictures soon. I feel like I am just rambling. Just trying to catch up. Have fun everyone.

kilroy07

Legendary member
I was trying to research the FT motor sizes but did not do so well - Is there a kVa spec for the A, B's and C's etc
"Original" C pack is An Emax 2215/10
IMG_9364[1].JPG IMG_9365[1].JPG
Can't help you on the A or B, I bought F packs early on (2205 quad motors...)

What I'm putting in my Spit is an SunnySky 2216/8 turning a 9x6 3-Blade prop. with spinner (of course...)
;)

kilroy07

Legendary member
Amazing how much happens on this thread. It takes me awhile to catch up.
Everyone is welcome.
I am excited to see all of the creations in the making and to see all these birds fly. I have not started yet. I want to try a second maiden on my corsair and then try to get the Spit started. I have not got around to check out any mods I want to do yet. I do like your skin @Rasterize it looks awesome. I hope we see more pictures soon. I feel like I am just rambling. Just trying to catch up. Have fun everyone.
I KNOW, I checked in after 4 days and had like 30 posts to go through... :LOL:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
open question - what motor sizes (and props) are we running?
I love this thread! We've got so many maiden videos and awesome build pics to look forward to! I'm not stressing to badly about making it pretty. I'm just trying to make it fly. My flying skills being what they are, I don't expect a long life for this wonderful warbird. ;) I am soooo looking forward to the day I throw it in the air, though! If I can get a good close pass and land it safely, I'll be happy. :)

@bracesport I purchased an emax 2213 930kv specifically for this build. I've been playing with it in my baby blender, and I haven't been able to get the bird off the ground. That's a different story. I purchased a Turnigy D2836/8 1100kv to put into my Edge. I'm going to be using it for this build. I'm going to start with a 10x45 prop. I've got 9x45, 8x45 and 10x47 slow fly props to try as well.

To answer your question, if you go to the FT store and click on any plane, then click on the power pack, you can see the specs for the motor used for that plane.

Last edited:

chris398mx

Master member
So I am ready to start construction on my master series inspired SPIT based on the model below with rounded fuse and under-camber wing design. One more note ... this will be a 48" wingspan plane.

spitfire master style.JPG

The parts laid out ready for cutting.

Layout.jpg

I am going to go for a combination style wing between the regular angular wing on the current FT style spit and a smooth top wing like the master series. I don't care for the non rounded leading edge on the master style design so i am going to try the hybrid shown below. I quickly took a scrap piece of foam to fold and try the concept. I removed a section of paper from the inside of the wing to get the smooth top surface and left the paper on the lower flat side. This will give the smooth top and the nice leading edge.

round LE.jpg

top view: the end of the wing tip is missing because of the small piece of scrap I had. just wanted proof of concept.

top.jpg

Under camber will still be present.

Undercamber.jpg

Should be a nice blend of the 2 styles.

ISO.jpg

What do you guys and gals think? Any suggestions?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So I am ready to start construction on my master series inspired SPIT based on the model below with rounded fuse and under-camber wing design. One more note ... this will be a 48" wingspan plane.

View attachment 139668

The parts laid out ready for cutting.

View attachment 139669

I am going to go for a combination style wing between the regular angular wing on the current FT style spit and a smooth top wing like the master series. I don't care for the non rounded leading edge on the master style design so i am going to try the hybrid shown below. I quickly took a scrap piece of foam to fold and try the concept. I removed a section of paper from the inside of the wing to get the smooth top surface and left the paper on the lower flat side. This will give the smooth top and the nice leading edge.

View attachment 139670

top view: the end of the wing tip is missing because of the small piece of scrap I had. just wanted proof of concept.

View attachment 139671

Under camber will still be present.

View attachment 139672

Should be a nice blend of the 2 styles.

View attachment 139673

What do you guys and gals think? Any suggestions?
It creates a nice chord profile. It will be a slippery shape in the air too. As you are adding another 6" to the overall wingspan compared to the original FT design, does that mean its a full airframe scale up?

One thing with the wing tips that I did on my Spit and I think @bracesport said he would do to his was add poster board to line the underside for strength and less drag. Because there won't be any folds needing glue out to the end of your wings in the under camber area this little trick might help you out significantly.

How did you get the plans for the Overstreets Spit?

chris398mx

Master member
It creates a nice chord profile. It will be a slippery shape in the air too. As you are adding another 6" to the overall wingspan compared to the original FT design, does that mean its a full airframe scale up?

One thing with the wing tips that I did on my Spit and I think @bracesport said he would do to his was add poster board to line the underside for strength and less drag. Because there won't be any folds needing glue out to the end of your wings in the under camber area this little trick might help you out significantly.

How did you get the plans for the Overstreets Spit?
Thanks for the tip on the poster board. I will check it out. This is a full air-frame scale up. This is not Overstreet's design, I designed it myself based on his work. I am sure his will be better, but I thought i would give it a shot.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thanks for the tip on the poster board. I will check it out. This is a full air-frame scale up. This is not Overstreet's design, I designed it myself based on his work. I am sure his will be better, but I thought i would give it a shot.
I will be really interested to see the details on the build just like how you started out. The master series really takes it to the next level as far as FB goes. Do you have a PDF on the plans you could link in?

As far as the poster board tip I suggested, it's pretty simple. I don't know how skilled of a pilot you are, I know I am not skilled so this is what worked for me and you can take it to whatever variation you like. Maybe you are one of those "only the wheels touch the ground, nary a scuff on the airframe, planes last a lifetime" kinda pilot, then totally disregard this tip. I just used HD poster board, (cuz I do crash a lot, and have bent many wing tips just getting the plane into the car), and adhered it to the underside of the wing with spray adhesive applied to both the wing and the poster board. the poster board was cut over sized before application and trimmed to fit once in place and dried, as shown:
20190804_084000.jpg
Have you already done the original Spit and now stepping up the game or are warbirds new territory?

chris398mx

Master member
I will be really interested to see the details on the build just like how you started out. The master series really takes it to the next level as far as FB goes. Do you have a PDF on the plans you could link in?

As far as the poster board tip I suggested, it's pretty simple. I don't know how skilled of a pilot you are, I know I am not skilled so this is what worked for me and you can take it to whatever variation you like. Maybe you are one of those "only the wheels touch the ground, nary a scuff on the airframe, planes last a lifetime" kinda pilot, then totally disregard this tip. I just used HD poster board, (cuz I do crash a lot, and have bent many wing tips just getting the plane into the car), and adhered it to the underside of the wing with spray adhesive applied to both the wing and the poster board. the poster board was cut over sized before application and trimmed to fit once in place and dried, as shown:
View attachment 139683
Have you already done the original Spit and now stepping up the game or are warbirds new territory?

i will attach some prints once i build the plane make sure the plans build a flyable plane. I am still working on a few details. yes i built one earlier this year. this after the second significant crash.
Spitfire crash.jpg

Post Operation

Spit Crash Repair.jpg

still flies very well.