Spitfire76's Build Log of Ben's XF-16

Spitfire76

I see why Ben had the EDF wires coming out at the top of the former, its to avoid the ESC disrupting the airflow. As I have mind coming out the bottom the ESC is in the airflow coming from the intake. I am not sure if this will have an adverse effect but its too late to change it and at least the ESC will get plenty of cooling. I'll place it upright like this to minimize the airflow disruption.
IMG_4264.jpeg
As this article points out its important not to restrict the airflow.

BTW both the ESC and EDF that I ended up ordering had 3.5mm bullet connectors. The ESC has a XT60 connector to the battery but I will
need a battery extension lead so will order one today and will pick one with a thick wire gauge like 10svg and around 6 in long.

Last edited:

Yankee2003

I see why Ben had the EDF wires coming out at the top of the former, its to avoid the ESC disrupting the airflow. As I have mind coming out the bottom the ESC is in the airflow coming from the intake. I am not sure if this will have an adverse effect but its too late to change it and at least the ESC will get plenty of cooling. I'll place it upright like this to minimize the airflow disruption.
View attachment 239041

BTW both the ESC and EDF that I ended up ordering had 3.5mm bullet connectors. The ESC has a XT60 connector to the battery but I will
need a battery extension lead so will order one today and will pick one with a thick wire gauge like 10svg and around 6 in long.
That is what I got on Amazon….xt60 extensions with 10 guage wire. I feel safe with that. Most of the extensions come with 12 guage so be on the look out.

HobbyPark XT60 Male to Female Adapter Connectors Converter Plugs with 10AWG Gauge Cable Wire High Current for RC Lipo Battery (2-Pack)​

Spitfire76

That is what I got on Amazon….xt60 extensions with 10 guage wire. I feel safe with that. Most of the extensions come with 12 guage so be on the look out.

HobbyPark XT60 Male to Female Adapter Connectors Converter Plugs with 10AWG Gauge Cable Wire High Current for RC Lipo Battery (2-Pack)​

That's the one I also found on Amazon. So its ordered as well as a couple of 4s 3300 mAh batteries with XT60 connectors. At this rate maiden maybe possible next week, just have to find a pilot.

Yankee2003

That's the one I also found on Amazon. So its ordered as well as a couple of 4s 3300 mAh batteries with XT60 connectors. At this rate maiden maybe possible next week, just have to find a pilot.
I have an idea where you can look…..in the mirror. 😉

Yankee2003

I might regret it….but I am building this first one ugly just in case.
Tomorrow I need to solder on xt60 connectors on my batteries. Also tomorrow I am going to do the initial paint and body session.
If all goes well, I will have primer coat on and batteries ready to go.
New list.
1) prep and primer paint.
2) solder battery connectors
3) Final spray and canopy paint, possibly some visibility tape.
4) Battery compartment and CG.
5) All out of excuses…..throw it in the air.
I will send a picture after initial primer coat.

Spitfire76

I might regret it….but I am building this first one ugly just in case.
Tomorrow I need to solder on xt60 connectors on my batteries. Also tomorrow I am going to do the initial paint and body session.
If all goes well, I will have primer coat on and batteries ready to go.
New list.
1) prep and primer paint.
2) solder battery connectors
3) Final spray and canopy paint, possibly some visibility tape.
4) Battery compartment and CG.
5) All out of excuses…..throw it in the air.
I will send a picture after initial primer coat.
Your list is getting shorter. I must be getting close too as I am now working on decals!
IMG_4266.jpeg

Last edited:

Yankee2003

Initial primer came out a bit better than I expected. Just needs a bit of a rub down and a final spray of white. I might break out the airbrush and spray the canopy tomorrow.
Battery connectors soldered up as well.
Then battery location and CG. Can’t believe it is done already.
Pictures of F16 assembled and initial primer.
IMG_3786.jpeg
IMG_3787.jpeg
IMG_3788.jpeg
Love your take on the British F16 by the way. Big hit on the discord…well done.

Spitfire76

Initial primer came out a bit better than I expected. Just needs a bit of a rub down and a final spray of white. I might break out the airbrush and spray the canopy tomorrow.
Battery connectors soldered up as well.
Then battery location and CG. Can’t believe it is done already.
Pictures of F16 assembled and initial primer.
View attachment 239061
View attachment 239060
View attachment 239062
Love your take on the British F16 by the way. Big hit on the discord…well done.
Nice job it’s looking great.

Spitfire76

Some odds and ends....
Added "canopy tongue" from sheet 4 to the canopy plate. Still need to add something to secure the other end of the canopy.

IMG_4267.jpeg

Unless the battery needs to be here this should be a good place to mount the Aura 5 Lite on to the 3d printed mount as both servo and throttle wires reach nicely.

IMG_4269.jpeg

Last edited:

Yankee2003

Some odds and ends....
Added "canopy tongue" from sheet 4 to the canopy plate. Still need to add something to secure the other end of the canopy.

View attachment 239078

Unless the battery needs to be here this should be a good place to mount the Aura 5 Lite on to the 3d printed mount as both servo and throttle wires reach nicely.

View attachment 239079
I think on my second one, I am going to square off the front of the canopy plate as well. It is too hard to make that v-shape to blend in. Might as well just be square.
Got my final coat of white on. Now I’ll wait until Friday to tape off the canopy and possibly some stripes to break up the white.
Still might just cop out and go with tape and a sticker or two.

Last edited:

Spitfire76

I think on my second one, I am going to square off the front of the canopy plate as well. It is too hard to make that v-shape to blend in. Might as well just be square.
Got my final coat of white on. Now I’ll wait until Friday to tape off the canopy and possibly some stripes to break up the white.
Still might just cop out and go with tape and a sticker or two.
It’s almost like you need the V at the front but flat at the back. I did end up using your idea to secure the rear of the canopy but I only have some small magnets and although it stays closed not sure sure if it would stay on in the air.

IMG_4270.jpeg

AdityaPratap

hi , i am making the bdf version of this plane , but i am not getting the thrust i was suppose to get on 6s and also it is making a bad noise when it is at full throttle , i have tried every combination of propeller ,but still i am getting a thrust of 1.2 kgs only ,whereas i was suppose to get 1.5 kgs minimum on 6s . I am using triblade gemfan 5055 propeller and motor is emax eco ii series 1900 kv motor

Yankee2003

hi , i am making the bdf version of this plane , but i am not getting the thrust i was suppose to get on 6s and also it is making a bad noise when it is at full throttle , i have tried every combination of propeller ,but still i am getting a thrust of 1.2 kgs only ,whereas i was suppose to get 1.5 kgs minimum on 6s . I am using triblade gemfan 5055 propeller and motor is emax eco ii series 1900 kv motor
You’re over my head. I struggled a bit working out which battery I needed to get. Maybe just ask that question in the broader forum and see who has the answers concerning BDFs.
Sorry I can’t help.

Spitfire76

I had to lookup what a BDF is and found that its "Ben's Ducted Fan". I am new to ducted fan's so afraid can't really help.

Spitfire76

So the batteries and XT60 extensions arrived and so have been able to glue the wing on and get an idea where to place the battery in order to balance around the CG marks. The battery weights 356g and unfortunately needs to be around this area which is not so ideal. I was hoping that it would be a bit more toward the nose.
IMG_4272.jpeg

Yankee2003

So the batteries and XT60 extensions arrived and so have been able to glue the wing on and get an idea where to place the battery in order to balance around the CG marks. The battery weights 356g and unfortunately needs to be around this area which is not so ideal. I was hoping that it would be a bit more toward the nose.
View attachment 239164
Looks good to me. Keep the weight out of the nose might help with future crumpling.