ofiesens2

Professional noob
I may be getting ahead of myself (this is my 2nd year of flying and I only have the FT Flyer, Nutball, and Delta), but I am looking for a new, programmable transmitter for a reasonable price. My top 2 picks are the FrSky Taranis and the new Spektrum DX6.

I do plan on getting some more planes in the future (mainly FT scratch builds) and maybe some Bind n' Fly's from Horizon Hobby. The current radio I have is the Spektrum DX4e, which will fly all of the swappables, but I would like to be able to use dual ailerons without a Y- harness so that I have the added capability of differential and subtrims (along with saving money by not using Y-harnesess).

I am basically educated on the programmability of both the Taranis and the DX6, but I have the Companion9x computer program for the Taranis and I am playing around with some of the functions (I have set up a model for the FT Cruiser with dual ailerons, dual flaps, and differential thrust).

Out of these 2 transmitters, which one should I pick? And please, if you have another great suggestion besides one of these 2 transmitters, let me know. All input will be appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Last edited:

MrClean

If you can get a taranis they are wonderful. More versatil then the Dx6. Now, you can get the cheap little Orange RX's for 6 bucks and they speak Spectrum BUT you can get a module, stick it in the back of the Taranis and now it speaks DSMX amd DSM2 as well. The case on the Taranis is the same as my JR 8103. That of the Spektrum is a newer roundy style. I like both transmitters, I have an 8 that I'm using right now to fly my 180DM. But reportedly the FrSky modulation is better then DSMX and you have the ability to set up the transmitter just the way you like it. Downside to the Taranis, you HAVE to set it up just the way you like it. With great power comes great responsibility. Or just a pain in the butt, whichever way you want to see it.

They're both great transmitters. One is more flexible and takes about 30 bucks more to talk to the same rx's that the other one does. You could conceviably by the 6 and receivers for it and then buy the Horus when it comes out. It will be so cool the Taranis will look like an ugly stepsister. But I'll still love her.

Clear as mud? hmmmmm. The Taranis is more capable then the DX8 and the DX8 cost about 2.5 times the Taranis.

How much money do you have? If you KNOW you're going to fly planes, it doesn't hurt to buy good at first and use it. It's also nice to have a knock about radio in case you fly race or combat and in the heat of the moment drop things that you normally wouldn't drop, like your transmitter. I used 3 8103's for my combat ships and sport planes back in the day. That's 3 transmitters that needed switches glued back in place, antenaes glued on, cases taped and about a quart of oil drained out of them. Would have been easier to have a low cost radio I could replace and pitch as pieces started to add up.

You'll have to make this decision, I cannot. That Open rx works on the Turnigy 9x too you know.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Out of the 2, I would go with the Taranis... and it's not because I'm not keen on Spektrum in general, but because you are comparing the Taranis to a 6 channel alternative. Now, you are talking about diferential thrust, which is 2 channels, and seperating your ailerons which is another 2 channels... add on your elevator and your rudder, and that's your 6 channels gone on the DX6! So forget about in the future getting into things like flaps, retractable gear, bomb drops, in-flight controlable lighting, or whatever else you can imagine as with the Spektrum you just won't have the channels free to do so, unless you go back to the "Y" connector or forgoing diferential thrust, the very reasons you want to update! The Taranis will give you plenty for now, as well as the means to expand in the future! Besides, with the Taranis you hace a wide range of modulation options just by adding the appropriate module on the back... including DSM. And also, in the future, when DSMX gets old and is replaced with something else (like whats happening with DSM2 right now), you can be compatible just getting a module, and not having to invest in a complete new system!

Bottom line, don't think what you need now when investing in gear, but what you're going to need later without spending megabucks... especially when the reason for not using a "Y" is to save a dollar! I'd say that in itself makes the argument swing towards the Taranis!

Another interesting radio that I myself have my eye on and would love to get is the new Futaba T10J, which has special mixes not only for acro, heli and gliders, but also for multirotors too, as well as telemetry. It's not a modular radio, but that doesn' mean you can't use modules with it hehehe... that all depends on what kind of aeromodelist you are. If you're a pilot, then it's all flying and as little time as possible on the workbench... if on the other hand you are a more traditional aeromodelist that limes being creative and using your hands, then the workbench is just as fun as flying! I love doing construction and electronics, and enjoy spending 2 hours making a module to plug into the trainer port just as much as flying... it all depends on what you like! Also mustn't forget one of the most important things for... shall we say someone like me hehehe: the T10J is a very nice (I won't say "pretty", it might scare my testosterone-charged counterparts away!:eek:) looking radio!

Happy shopping!

Last edited:

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Ahhh... and as for the "down and dirty" radio, it's a good idea to have one. My main radio is a Multiplex Profi MC3010 which may be old, but it was so advanced for it's time it's on par with most high end radios nowadays (and fits with MrClean's idea of "you have to set it up the way you like it", as you have to program EVERYTHING from scratch, like which servo is on what channel and goes with which control... none of these "channel 1 is aileron, channel 2 is elevator, etc." giving the advantage of using even small receivers however I may feel)... AND I LOVE IT! And for the cheap alternative I have a Futaba T4EXA which I added a fifth channel onto... I also have a single stick 2 channel radio I made with a DSM module, but that's quite specific to certain models.

The question is, you already have a radio that can be used as a "down and dirty" alternative: your DX4e, which incedently is actually a 6 channel radio, using AUX as channel 5 on the receiver, and changing the trainer button to a toggle switch acts as the 6th channel when no trainer cable is used! Perfect for a simply "leave in the boot of your car with a small model" radio, like the "Le Fish" for example... as soon as I have a car again it's what I'm going to do with my little 735mm 50% Modelhob Coyote I scratchbuilt recently!

I was also thinking of making another "cheap and cheerful" radio by adding a FrSky hack module in one of my Walkera WK-2402's, as I have 2 of them and only ever use one...

Last edited:

ofiesens2

Professional noob
Wow... Thanks for all your input. MrClean, is the Turnigy 9x or any other 9x transmitter suitable for me? I do not believe that I will use up all 60 model memories on the FrSky Taranis. I did some research and it seems like the Turnigy is a fairly capable transmitter, especially for the price (I could buy 2 or 3 of those for the price of 1 FT Cruiser with electronics).

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Have you thought about one of the Devo line with the deveation software flashed into it? It's a great line, and compatible with a great number of protocols!

bitogre

Wow... Thanks for all your input. MrClean, is the Turnigy 9x or any other 9x transmitter suitable for me? I do not believe that I will use up all 60 model memories on the FrSky Taranis. I did some research and it seems like the Turnigy is a fairly capable transmitter, especially for the price (I could buy 2 or 3 of those for the price of 1 FT Cruiser with electronics).

There are some difference that may or may not be important between the Taranis and the 9x radios. For example, the Taranis has an internal transmitter that supports telemetry where the 9x radios have to be modified to support telemetry from an external module.

The Turnigy 9x and 9xr do not come with the OpenTX firmware that the Taranis uses but that software can by installed in those radios. Also, there are some differences in the OpenTX software due to differences in the hardware between the 9x and Taranis radios. The Turnigy 9xr can be updated to the OpenTX software with the use of an additional programmer (roughly an additional $15 to $30) without modification and the 9x can be modified to allow changing of the firmware.

Bottom line is I think of the 9x radios as a tinker's a la carte radio where as the Taranis is more of a radio that has most of the possible modifications you will likely want already built-in. If cost is your biggest concern and are good with soldering and modifying your radio, the 9x is probably a good choice. If you want a radio that has everything you are likely to ever want without having to modify it, then go with the Taranis.

Disclaimer: I do not actually own a Taranis, Turnigy 9x or 9xr radios and statements made based on videos and reviews I have seen so I may be wrong.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
@bitogre I actually own both and your statements are correct. I did see a ready to go flashed 9X with the SmartiParts board for $130 on RCGroups Classifieds yesterday.

Thurmond

MrClean

I concur with the above guys. I would state though that as is, the 9X is a fine radio. There are a couple of bugs you will eventually want to look at but the one that I bought last year was constructed well and worked fine out of the box. I wanted to play with it and use it on a little BangGoods quadcopter because the itty bitty transmitter that came with it hurt my hands. You can have 2 or 3 of rhe Turnigies, native, for the price of the Taranis and have 10 times more radio than I did for the first half of my RC career and 4 times more radio then I basically use. Face it, save for the ease of setup (me being lazy) and the multiple planes on one box (me being lazy and not matching mechanically like we used to) I basically use a 4 or 5 channel transmitter all the time, 6 if I have flaps and a bomb drop. I could get buy and have with a straight 6 channel radio. Servo reversing I can do at the servo, Dual rates are a big plus but only on planes that I fly in two different envelopes. Say 3d or high, low speed. When doing touch n goes or slow speed flying, larger throws are nice but at high speed a little goes a long way. Dual rates are good for that. Many of my planes haven't seen me throw a rate switch.
If you are outfitting yourself and another, get some 9x's and get to flying together. It's WAY more fun the taking turns. More carnage too.

MrClean

By mechanical setup. We used to use basic transmitters (thats all they had) on multiple planes. You would plan servo installations and linkeages so that you go the throws you needed in the directions you needed without moving changing anything on the transmitter. If you only had one place you could put an elevator servo and that meant it would turn backwards as needed you either ordered a reversed servo OR reversed the servo yourself. You can buy reverses now but these transmitters didn't have IC chips in them as those were still new. Now you just drop a servo in, turn on the TX/RX so that it centers, hook the arm to it and start wiggling controls, reversing with a switch and adjusting throws on the computer screen.

I just feel lucky, and deprived some, that I didn't have to wind my rubberbands before each flight. Check out escapement gear in old time RC planes.

SteveRoby

I bought a tarranis & sold my DX6 & will sell my 9x soon.
I also bought the Orange DSM2/x module for the Tarranis.

- The telemetry receivers compatible with the tarrinis are getting more expensive, many of the older rx's have been discontinued.
- the tarranis carry-case isnt that good, not enough height. Get the Hking 9xR case instead.
- Also buy the Hking Life transmitter pack, and one spare. I get excellent run time from that.
- the Tarrains is much more complex to learn to program & setup, compared to the DX6 . There is far too much info to wade through & that takes far too much time to find the info you need. I have a small notebook that I keep in the case with setup notes. Thats very helpfull.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I agree with Epitaph, in that you may want to look into the Walkera Devo TX with the DeviationTX opensource software. I think it offers the most in flexibility and value. I bought two Devo 8/8S used from a rcgroups.com user for less than the price of a Taranis.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Something else about Spektrum is with that extra $ spent comes an excellent reputation for support. My son who had a DX5e that was giving him troubles had it replaced & upgraded for free. He had the old DSM2 and they replaced it with a DSMX version.
Personally I would like to see OrangeRx come out with a DSMX version of their T-six (maybe a T-seven). I don't understand why they would have DSMX modules but not a native DSMX xmtr.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
$50 to $100 for Spektrum receivers "gasp" :rolleyes:!

And I thought Futaba was expensive....

$35 for the Best Taranis Receiver!:applause:

Thurmond

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Yes, Thurmond, I never understood that one either. I think it has to do with when people spend that much, they feel the need to justify it by suggesting others spend that much also. Or once you spend that much, it seems like a waste if you change to something else. Ask me about my DSLR's...yeah, Nikon...could be worse though. They could be Hassleblads or Leica's...

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I'm not suggesting that much be spent rather that the choice be an informed one. They do come at a higher price and I have yet to buy one for myself but I do like the bind and fly options.
Also, OrangeRx rcvr's are compatible with Spektrum xmtr's and very affordable.

MrClean

They work with the Taranis too after you buy the orange module for the back. Bring up the plane that uses the Orange module the transmitter shuts off the FrSky portion and uses the external module. You can buy the Orange module and 8 or 9 Orange RX's for the price of one Spektrum receiver.
And in every spektrum justification thread I've read the same thing, "Yes they cost way more then reasonable but I get such good service" I've had 6 computer radios and countless non computer 4-6 channel radios, I've never sent one of them in for service. It's just like buying extended warranty on electronics at Best Buy. You just don't do it because in the long run its a waste of money. Ask Clark Howard.

However, I hadn't seen this version of the 6x yet and it's looking rather nice.