Tek Sumo

PaulT

Mentor
Check out my build blog. I too am using the recommended set up HK 2818 but
it is so tail heavy with a 1000 mah battery that using a 2200 mah
balances it almost dead on. So instead of adding just dead weight, might as well
add it in battery. Still waiting for a day to maiden it. :(

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Hi PaulT
Where is your build log? Is it on your blog? Are there pictures too? (I'm at work so sometimes I can't see the pictures)
Just go fly that thing already ;)

Hamdhan

The Expert Newbie
Yeah- that's the problem. My work blocks photobucket...
I'll check them out when I get home ;)

Get this software: "ULTRASURF" and use with Internet explorer. It can bypass any site, we use to use it on Facebook at school but now...I just wait till I get home, no time to mess around in school.

santiago404

Balance will be the first issue with this motor.
Too much? Hard to say. If the wing is built rigid enough, it can probably handle that motor.
What's your skill level? If you are going to try this you should probably be an intermediate to advanced flyer.

Thanks for answer Jet and Paul!

I am more like an begginer to intermediate, used to fly one Cularis Glider from MULTIPLEX, now moving to wings. I have some simulator experience with combat wings, but w/e i get the TekSumo up in the air, it will be my first live experience with them.

Regarding the balance issue, i will be using one 3s 2200 nanotech so i guess i wont have to add too much "extra" grams to balance it.

You know, the funny thing is i bought the Teksumo to get the basics of wings so i could move to one Maxi Swift and them to an Zephyr. Planed to buy them in 3 months interval, so i could get the taste of each other enough to allow me moving to the next learning step.

Teksumo took 2 months to arrive, my Swift is in transit from EU already (im guessing it will arrive in 2 weeks, if i get luck in customs), and yesterday i sent my first email to ritewing asking prices.

Heh, i guess ill have to wait a bit for the Zephyr, my feelings are that the TekSumo issue will continue for like 1 more month.

(By the way, i am sorry for my grammar, english isnt my native language)

srk

Guys, I finally did the maiden flight on my tek sumo tonight. It was freakin awesome. The "RCTimer 2826-10 1400kv on a 2200mAh for 15-20min.on an 8x4 prop" is a very nice set up. It balances nice, had to put some up trim in and vertical is beautiful. This thing is so much fun.

antoine

Nice to hear ! I have a very similar setup and am waiting for the weather to be any good for maidening it !

JoeyG

Built my TekSumo today... But I've had a few Problems.. My Spektrum 6110e Rx is a dud.. :-( the LED doesn't light up and so I'm unable to bind.. I'm gonna put my AR8000 in tomorrow so I can get air born. I'll take the Rx back and have another.

I have a question thou boys.. I bought a Gyro (HobbyKing, the same as the FliteTest review) am I able to use it on the TekSumo? It's a single channel so I'm confused as to how it should be wired in??

Merry Crimbo everyone. Hope you've all had a great day.

J.

Built my TekSumo today... But I've had a few Problems.. My Spektrum 6110e Rx is a dud.. :-( the LED doesn't light up and so I'm unable to bind.. I'm gonna put my AR8000 in tomorrow so I can get air born. I'll take the Rx back and have another.

I have a question thou boys.. I bought a Gyro (HobbyKing, the same as the FliteTest review) am I able to use it on the TekSumo? It's a single channel so I'm confused as to how it should be wired in??

Merry Crimbo everyone. Hope you've all had a great day.

J.

You can use the gyro for your aileron channel but I have never had any luck programming the gain setting with the DX6i in aircraft mode. If you are just using a simple gyro without heading hold or remote gain adjustment you should be fine.

Jay

JoeyG

You can use the gyro for your aileron channel but I have never had any luck programming the gain setting with the DX6i in aircraft mode. If you are just using a simple gyro without heading hold or remote gain adjustment you should be fine.

Jay

Cheers chap, I'll give it a go.

J.

JoeyG

lol.....

Oh dear, my Teksumo experience has not gone well.. I went out to Gliders UK and picked up the servos, ESC, motor and prop (2208/12 1400kv 8x5 props) the whole kit was my crimbo gift from my lovely girlfriend. I spent most of Christmas night assembling it and after a few false starts (dead Rx... servo issues... ect...) i finally got it ready for the skies...

Attempt One: The maiden, it went up.... and then went down.. :confused: it appeared to flip on its back then nose dive... I thought it was nose heavy but the CG was bang on... I brought it in, no damage, cleaned off the mud but then the wind picked up and that was that.

Attempt Two: TODAY! clear blue skies and very little wind... almost perfect.. I double treble checked everything (So I thought) and headed for the field. launched it myself, again it flipped over on to its back and headed for the ground. This time the nose (inc Lipo bay) snapped clean off and the motor mount was trashed.. puzzled I set to fixing it up.. tooth picks and CA (cheers FliteTest) did the trick nicely. I used some black solarfilm to cover the blemishes.

Attempt Three: The wind was still low and I was happy to try again.. however.. as I was doing my pre-flight checks something clicked.. I'd noticed the elevator throws were not moving equal, this explains the flipping I was experiencing.. i took it in and made further adjustments.

Attempt Four: It's final moments loomed.. positive I'd covered all eventualities I wondered outside for yet another attempt.. moments before my father was about to throw it skyward I noticed it (had I mentioned I'd been drinking... hey, its Christmas) I'd mounted the servos on the top, followed the instructions closely yet had somehow failed to notice that stick input resulted in up being down and down being up.. I guess this explains the nose dives, but by this point I was flying it if it killed me.. I quickly spun the servo arms around and headed for the field once more.. My father walked out into the field with the wing held high above is head. the hand launch went horribly wrong.. he threw it, he yelped the wing took to the skies.. YES!!.. briefly.. lol.. it was definitely nose heavy but it was air born, I took it up and in that moment all was well.. until I realized my Fathers yelp was not one of adulation but of pain.. he was okay but walking over clutching his hand. I look over briefly, he's smiling, look back at the wing and its headed for the ground full stick.. oops.. it hit hard!

Below are the grizzly remains of my ill fated Tek Sumo.. :(

52e1d614.jpg

ffdfef57.jpg

b324c9c2.jpg

08b1d1a3.jpg

Finally my poor Fathers hand, it took some cleaning, TCP and nine plasters (bandaids). This is what a 8x5 prop will do to you at low throttle. My Father doesnt drink, he knew to keep clear of the prop, it was simply an accident.

0ad834d9.jpg

It may look fixable in the photos but I'm exhausted with it, The leading edges are missing huge chunks that have tooth picked and CA'd the Wing Tips have seen the same repairs, the area around the prop has foam parts missing and repair jobs have now left it looking less then great. There's simply more CA holding this thing together its now very weak.

I'd love another, but unfortunately ordering a $30 Wing from Hobby King ends up costing me much much much more.. shipping times and import TAX make ordering another not very attractive.

I'm gutted it all went wrong.. but.. silver lining.. I learned a lot, enjoyed building it, enjoyed fixing it, enjoyed spending the time with my Father.

J.