Tek Sumo

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Tek Hari Kari LOL. Find (a) friend(s) who want(s) one and share the shipping cost. That's the only way to get the price down. I wanted to get a wing and was looking at the Sumo and Bonsai. Went with the cheap wing (small package), which had similar adventures to yours for a while, but it's now flying beautifully. If I had my time again I would have got a few people together to get a couple of Sumos I think

PaulT

Mentor
JoeyG... OMG..... I am almost afraid of maidening mine now!!!! Looks like leather gloves and less drinking for my first launch!!!
Take your father to the pub....he deserves it ....and it can double as a wake for the wing!!

JoeyG

JoeyG... OMG..... I am almost afraid of maidening mine now!!!! Looks like leather gloves and less drinking for my first launch!!!
Take your father to the pub....he deserves it ....and it can double as a wake for the wing!!

Lol.. Sounds like a great idea... I've been looking on the UK sites for an alternative.. Not having much luck. I'm sure you'll have more luck then me.. I fear I rush it.

J.

antoine

@JoeyG, this learning experience (let's call it that :p) would have happened whether it was a HK product or an EU product or anything else. Now you know about all of this you will watch out for next time until something else that you've never seen happens :p

JoeyG

Very true, hopefully HK may stock the TekSumo In there German warehouse which should make things easier.. I'm going to pick up a Jamara Roo Jet to fill the void, I'll like another Wing thou. Funny how you get in to RC and now all I seem
to pay attention too is the wind.

J.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Well, they say you get more experience from crashing than from flying well. Looks to me like you should be more thorough while pre-flight checking.

JoeyG

The TekSumo may live! :p I'm working on it now, it's far from pretty! but it'll fly... maybe..

J.

Heliosphere

Lol.. Sounds like a great idea... I've been looking on the UK sites for an alternative.. Not having much luck. I'm sure you'll have more luck then me.. I fear I rush it.

J.

Hi Joey, have you seen the site www.flyingwings.co.uk? They look to have a good small and large wing for sale and are in the UK. I was nearly going to order one from there but ended up ordering the Tek Sumo as a couple of friends wanted something from Hobby King, so I lumped it in with their stuff.

Cheers

edit: also so the reason for your first three crashes were because you had different amounts of throws on each elevon and down was up?? I'll feel a lot less apprehensive about the maiden flight on mine (whenever that is, cheap shipping from HK is sooo slow) if your problems we're mainly due to not checking the control surfaces before flying!! :p :eek:

Last edited:

JoeyG

Hi Joey, have you seen the site www.flyingwings.co.uk? They look to have a good small and large wing for sale and are in the UK. I was nearly going to order one from there but ended up ordering the Tek Sumo as a couple of friends wanted something from Hobby King, so I lumped it in with their stuff.

Cheers

edit: also so the reason for your first three crashes were because you had different amounts of throws on each elevon and down was up?? I'll feel a lot less apprehensive about the maiden flight on mine (whenever that is, cheap shipping from HK is sooo slow) if your problems we're mainly due to not checking the control surfaces before flying!! :p :eek:

I'm sure you'll be fine buddy, I rushed the build and did it whilst drinking... it was totally my fault, I found the hand launches harder then I thought they would be, I'm still very new to the hobby, I've been able to fix my TekSumo, I'll upload some photos when I've finished it.

J.

Heliosphere

I'm sure you'll be fine buddy, I rushed the build and did it whilst drinking... it was totally my fault, I found the hand launches harder then I thought they would be, I'm still very new to the hobby, I've been able to fix my TekSumo, I'll upload some photos when I've finished it.

J.

lol I'll definitely keep the Scotch on the shelf while we build and fly it then.

I'm new to the hobby as well. I've seen people launch wings in a sort of side on throwing motion, while holding one wing. Seems like a safe and easy way to do it, is that how you've been doing it?

YouTube video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIBl94YnM3Q
Although that's probably how Josh and Josh were launching them in their video review, can't remember, but just ignore me if I'm only repeating what you already know! :)

JoeyG

lol I'll definitely keep the Scotch on the shelf while we build and fly it then.

I'm new to the hobby as well. I've seen people launch wings in a sort of side on throwing motion, while holding one wing. Seems like a safe and easy way to do it, is that how you've been doing it?

YouTube video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIBl94YnM3Q
Although that's probably how Josh and Josh were launching them in their video review, can't remember, but just ignore me if I'm only repeating what you already know! :)

I used the side launch for the first few attempts and once re-built will probably use it in the future, My wing had so many unknown issues at the time when I side launch it still just fell out the sky... lol.. no scotch is a great idea. Its all a bit of fun =p

J.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
OMG JoeyG! Bugger I just saw your hand . . . . OUCH! Hope you get it going again soon. Its a great model to fly once you get it trimmed etc. For what its worth I usually have that sort of run with models I build for myself. The ones I do for my son seem to almost always go to plan lol

crashtestrc

My first post:
I am running the Teksumo with Turnigy 28-22-A 1600kv and a 1300ms 3c. That balances pretty well. I have tried various props but (8x6 and 6x4) but its all a little slow. This is a good intermediate level setup. Goes vertical for a second or two but not unlimited. I can't fit anything bigger than the 8" prop without moving the motor back farther or cutting it out.

I also have the Bonsai with a Park 250 2200kv and a 800mah 3c. The Bonsai with this motor is incredible with unlimited vertical and faster than the Teksumo.

I ordered the following motors to try to juice up the Teksumo but have not received them yet:
- HobbyKing 2818 Brushless Outrunner 1350kv
- Turnigy2836 brushless Outrunner 1200kv

These are my favorite planes because they go fast and they go slow and they are indestructible.
Any advice on a good fast engine (that is in stock and cheap) would be helpful.

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
Any advice on a good fast engine (that is in stock and cheap) would be helpful.

i just did on the post above, im kind of new to rc airplanes - been on cars for 20 years, but i found that this motor for 9 dollars, light and powerful;

D2826-6 2200kv Outrunner Motor
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=12919
Specs:
Rpm/V: 2200kv
Shaft: 3.17mm
Voltage: 2S~3S (7.4v to 11.1v)
Weight: 50g
Watts: 342w
Max Current: 34A
ESC: 40A

im looking forward to get my teksumo too !!!

JoeyG

Succesful maiden, congrats.. I'm is hung on the wall mocking my poor flying skills every time I shoot it a look.

J.

Last edited:

JoeyG

It's back...

BEFORE:
08b1d1a3.jpg

AFTER:
dedd7745.jpg

I took my time and rebuilt the Tek Sumo, it was a real mess before the rebuild having already seen a few crude repairs over christmas.

ecf72b6b.jpg

The nose end inc Lipo bay snapped off during it's second crash and had been glued back on with some CA and tooth picks, the leading edges had chunks missing and the trailing left edge was missing a sizeable piece. The last crash saw the wing torn in half and the right elevon removed.

To address the busted nose end I first fitted a strip of carbon, you can make out the horse shoe esk shape above. I then cut through the Lipo bay so the 2200 3S would fit flush on the underside mounting the lipo strap vertically holds the lipo great.

0eacd6e1.jpg

I'd cut the servo cables into the wing (all had survived) to try and keep the wiring clear as possible. I bought a Jamara Roo jet to replace the wing with the intention of taking all the electrics from the TekSumo and putting them into the Roo.. having glued the servo cables in place I couldn't actually retrieve them..

a1dd592b.jpg

The motor mount has taken a pounding! plenty of CA, EPOXY and HOT Glue holding that together right there. :p

a91a6e71.jpg

I took a couple attempts at the elevon repair, I ended up using five nylon hinges and covering the seam with some Solarfilm.

c6cb04cd.jpg

On the whole, it's looking alright. i've checked the electronics and all is well, up is up which is better then last time. I'm using a Jamara 2212/10 1400KV motor with a Gliders UK 30 AMP ESC, 2200 3S and 8x4 Prop. It's pulling 21 amps at full stick so maybe a different prop might be called for?

2ca308d7.jpg

I've put it back on my wall where it'll stay unless nice weather comes our way.

J.