The Best It Will Ever Look

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I just finished my fifth FT scratch build, a simple cub, and realized that after the build and before the maiden that this is THE BEST IT WILL EVER LOOK! So I thought I'd start a thread where we can post pictures of our creations before we fly them for the first time. I'll probably post before and after pics (once the weather improves) since my building skills far out pace my flying skills - which isn't saying much.

So here's my Cub. I used yellow Hobby Lobby foam board. It's a lot heavier than the dollar store stuff and also more expensive but I don't have to paint it and it is reasonably water resistant. I printed out the windows & markings and Super 77'd them to the plane. I can't wait to get out and fly!

IMG_2928.JPG IMG_2927.JPG IMG_2926.JPG

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I just finished my fifth FT scratch build, a simple cub, and realized that after the build and before the maiden that this is THE BEST IT WILL EVER LOOK! So I thought I'd start a thread where we can post pictures of our creations before we fly them for the first time. I'll probably post before and after pics (once the weather improves) since my building skills far out pace my flying skills - which isn't saying much.

So here's my Cub. I used yellow Hobby Lobby foam board. It's a lot heavier than the dollar store stuff and also more expensive but I don't have to paint it and it is reasonably water resistant. I printed out the windows & markings and Super 77'd them to the plane. I can't wait to get out and fly!

View attachment 192966 View attachment 192967 View attachment 192968
Beautiful work! Let us know how the maiden goes. (y)

mdcerdan

Elite member

Nice build! Check your CG before flight, if you use other foamboard heavier than DTFB it may be a bit tailheavy.

slowjo

Master member

that looks really nice!

mastermalpass

Elite member
I do love the look of my planes when they're fresh off the bench. Even if you don't crash 'em, foam planes can show their age quickly. I have a Bipe that isn't even a year old yet and all the taped parts have turned yellow. The wheels are battered and there's a good amount of grass stain where the prop cuts the grass and blows it back over the port wing.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the signs of a busy career on a model. But you can't beat that brand new finish!

RokrRJ

Looks beautiful! May I ask where you found the windows and markings for download?

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
The windows and lightening bolts are on the scratch build plans. I used photoshop to fill in the lightening bolts and printed them out. I printed the window outlines and then cut them from black paper. I googled the Cub logo image and just copied, printed & cut it out with a razor knife. I weighed it last night and found that the heavier foam board put it almost 70% heavier with motor and battery than the all in weight on the plans - but the CG is still good! It's supposed to be above 20F today and light winds so maybe.......

slowjo

Master member
Since u started this, I better put these two planes on before I maiden them

Attachments

• 96C97388-5FFD-450D-BF5D-70200CF7047F.jpeg
    96C97388-5FFD-450D-BF5D-70200CF7047F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • F21962E4-02D4-4B40-969F-18F682D1CACA.jpeg
    F21962E4-02D4-4B40-969F-18F682D1CACA.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 25662498-0CA1-4DDE-91E5-50EE70A2A086.jpeg
    25662498-0CA1-4DDE-91E5-50EE70A2A086.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 75101C10-35B9-4F72-86BE-04AEEB14D1EB.jpeg
    75101C10-35B9-4F72-86BE-04AEEB14D1EB.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

slowjo

Master member
Very nice! How was the P47 build?
Temp got over 20 and wind under 10 so flying I must go!

nice video, your comments are turned off??? I subscribed to your channel! SlowJo This p47 was my first Master Series and it actually built pretty ez

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
First flight with the Cub. Took off from hard snow with just a little right rudder and a couple of circuits around the patch. Three point landing with power off and still nosed over. But I'll take splayed landing gear and a broken prop as the only damage on the first flight!

IMG_2937.JPG

Last edited:

RokrRJ

First flight with the Cub. Took off from hard snow with just a little right rudder and a couple of circuits around the patch. Three point landing with power off and still nosed over. But I'll take splayed landing gear and a broken prop as the only damage on the first flight!

View attachment 193654

On your first loop I thought "that was close"... on the second one I was like "WHOA" :oops:. lol

Nice flight. What's your electronic setup and AUW?

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
For the second loop you took the words right out of my mouth! What a sweet flying plane. Everything is as per FT recommendations - power pack, throws & expo all per plans. It was built from Hobby Lobby yellow foam board that is twice as heavy as the white Dollar store board. All up weight is a whopping 772 grams as opposed to the plans target of 489 grams. Flies great, though I'm going to have to beef up the landing gear!

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
It's such a nice day here in Indiana that I also maidened my DR1. I think it's even easier to fly than the Tiny Trainer. Everything as per FT recommendations and flew like a champ first time! Built it with black dollar store foam board and skinned the top of the upper wing and horizontal stab & elevator. The black foam board doesn't start to curl or warp when you strip the paper off one side so I didn't have to skin both sides like you do with the white board. I also made a lie of the topic of this thread. No damage after the first flight! I've attached pre and post flight pics.
WOXS8097.JPG IMG_2940.JPG

Last edited:
Aww nah I don’t wanna get eaten
That's funny.
My dad had a black lab, Abigail, the best dog in the world. I had a lady friend visiting from Costa Rica, and we went to visit at my dad's place. My sister was there too. We got there and Abbie ran out, her tail going crazy, to greet me & my friend. Marcela took a step back, she wasn't sure about the dog, and my sister says "Oh don't worry, she doesn't like spicy food!"
:LOL: