The big bang of Mustangs

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Building started. I covered the tail surfaces in red Oracal 651 adhesive vinyl before gluing the rudder to the horizontal stab, as I figured it would be easier to do while I could still set the surfaces flat, and then trim around them to remove the excess vinyl. The Oracal not only gives it a really nice, solid color, it also will help reinforce the hinge point for the rudder and elevator.

The tail surfaces aren't permanently attached to the fuselage yet. My plan is to finish most of the fuselage and the wings first, attach the wings to the fuselage, and then spray paint the assembly silver. More red Oracal will be affixed to the plane for the red at the tail and nose on the fuselage, and for the red tips on the wings. I have some yellow Oracal for the stripes on the wings.
View attachment 160299

View attachment 160300
That looks nice! (y)

Hoomi

Master member
Wings assembled and installed into the fuselage. Landing gear wire cut and bent (dang, but that wire they include in the SBK is tough stuff. I know it isn't the same as they show in the build video, because he bends it easier with his hands, than I can using pliers and a vise).

Next decent weather day, I'll get the first coat of silver paint on her.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Wings assembled and installed into the fuselage. Landing gear wire cut and bent (dang, but that wire they include in the SBK is tough stuff. I know it isn't the same as they show in the build video, because he bends it easier with his hands, than I can using pliers and a vise).

Next decent weather day, I'll get the first coat of silver paint on her.
Great! I've heard the gear they have been including in their kits lately is pretty stiff...

Hoomi

Master member
I've tried cutting it with heavy-duty wire cutters and even large vise-grips, and I barely dent the stuff. The last two times I've needed to cut it, I've ended up using the cutoff wheel on the Dremel tool.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I've tried cutting it with heavy-duty wire cutters and even large vise-grips, and I barely dent the stuff. The last two times I've needed to cut it, I've ended up using the cutoff wheel on the Dremel tool.
Music wire for LG is tough stuff to bend, I have even broken it trying to bend it. The wire that is used for real estate coroplast signs is easier to work with, and a little lighter too

Hoomi

Master member
As promised, here's a photo. If the wind holds, I might just get out to the flying field this afternoon and see how she flies.
Bunnie.jpg

Hoomi

Master member
Alas, when I got to the flying field, the breeze was only about 5 - 6 MPH. After sunscreening, I was getting the Scout ready, though, the wind suddenly gusted up enough to push the other planes around. I figured, even if it calmed back down, I really couldn't risk putting a plane up. The plane in the air might be fine with the wind, but I wouldn't be able to keep an eye on it and on the parked planes as well.

K3V0

Elite member
Bummer, I’ve had those days too! I started using spare rubberbands and anchoring my planes to my backpack with nose into the wind. Even then sometimes it’s still too much.
Next time will be perfect!

Wildthing

Legendary member
Alas, when I got to the flying field, the breeze was only about 5 - 6 MPH. After sunscreening, I was getting the Scout ready, though, the wind suddenly gusted up enough to push the other planes around. I figured, even if it calmed back down, I really couldn't risk putting a plane up. The plane in the air might be fine with the wind, but I wouldn't be able to keep an eye on it and on the parked planes as well.
Couple weeks ago was about the same except I got 2 flights in , just changing the the battery out and suddenly I was chasing planes on the ground. :)

Hoomi

Master member
For a maiden, I was running just a bit nervous, so I didn't do anything more than basic pattern flying, and I don't think I ever took her much above half-throttle. She does seem to fly nice, and I think as I get used to her, I'm going to really love flying her.

I need to do some tweaking to one of the wheels, as it sometimes binds a bit on the wire, which makes for a bit of frustration on take-off roll.